Author Topic: selfkill.com people?  (Read 36106 times)

Offline Foln

• Major(1)
  • ARRRRRR!!!
selfkill.com people?
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:24 am »
Anyone from the selfkill.com forums here?
I am sitting here at 5am after spending hours of dwelling in nostalgia about the good old soldat times. Can't believe that it is almost 10 years ago and this is what something that big has come to. :(
that said, what are all the people from swlfkill.com up to nowadays?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: selfkill.com people?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:53:25 am »
selfkill is dead. afaik skc.r0adkill disappeared.

For nostalgia, here's how SKC looked in 2005: https://web.archive.org/web/20050514205234/http://selfkill.com/webv3/content/cms.php?action=overview&rubrik=all&maxentries=10&title=Herzlich%20Willkommen

The wayback machine is great for this kind of thing.
There are other worlds than these

Offline ExHunter

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
  • Speedy go!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 03:07:12 am »
Too bad that it didn't save all the forums topics. :(

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:56:46 am »
Former Sk blog, forum admin and the last german soldat.pl sk mirror translator here.
Not that I did a lot for Sk appart from the translations (I just had the "pleasure" to see it die a sad death)
I was more sad about the quola.de forum and servers dying - but that's probably because I actually played knife only and enjoyed the people in that sub-community.

Working on soldat now, but you already knew that, didn't you :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:59:51 am by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 05:16:23 am »
Former Sk blog, forum admin and the last german soldat.pl sk mirror translator here.
Not that I did a lot for Sk appart from the translations (I just had the "pleasure" to see it die a sad death)
I was more sad about the quola.de forum and servers dying - but that's probably because I actually played knife only and enjoyed the people in that sub-community.

What led to the community dying? If they're still around I can give them a free place to host selfkill. Something like selfkill.u13.net or similar

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 06:03:20 am »
At one point there was this idea to create a new site which failed because there was no coordination (i noticed that there was another team working on the same task which made me lose motivation to work on it).
I also think the fact that roadkill didn't give new people access to the site and when he and keydon left there was nobody keeping the site alive.
Also for some reason he lost access to the server (not sure about the details).

I don't think there is any reason to host selfkill anymore. It would require a relaunch of the site. I'm not even sure if the content was backed up somewhere.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 06:40:27 pm »

Oh shit i remember quloa forums :o

Im chill like that

Offline Foln

• Major(1)
  • ARRRRRR!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:41 am »

Surprise surprise! :D Of course youre the most obligatory mwmber from todays point of view. Even though i havent seen you too active in the forum during the last years(even during ths last years before it started dying.)
Btw. You forgot to mention Interruptman for keeping the forum going for quite some time as the last admin.
I am wondering so much about what all these guys are up to nowadays after all these years. I have so many names in my head from that time that I have absolutely 0 contact to anymore for a long time now and not even a possibility to build up contact anymore since the platform is dead. I wish so bad that we could have it back once again just for a short time to hear what all these people are up to nowadays.
roadkill also was gone for a long long time before the site went down as it seemed.  Same goes for the other former admins.

@jrgp: The frightening thing is that it died because of the same things that are happening with this forum at the moment. People started using the site. And as soldat turned more and more unpopular so did sk. With the ending that it became so dead that no one cared about it anymore. I think during the last months the forum sometimes didnt have posts for a weeks.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:30 am »
@jrgp: The frightening thing is that it died because of the same things that are happening with this forum at the moment. People started using the site. And as soldat turned more and more unpopular so did sk. With the ending that it became so dead that no one cared about it anymore. I think during the last months the forum sometimes didnt have posts for a weeks.

This forum has never been that bad. Maybe it might go a day or two without a post but never more than that. And there are generally lots of people lurking but not posting anyway.

People keep saying that the Soldat Forums are dead etc etc but they're not dead to the extent of going more than a few days without at least a few posts by multiple people.

Although that's far from its peak around 2007 or so, its also far from dead.

Offline sacriefice

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »
Anyone from the selfkill.com forums here?
I am sitting here at 5am after spending hours of dwelling in nostalgia about the good old soldat times. Can't believe that it is almost 10 years ago and this is what something that big has come to. :(
that said, what are all the people from swlfkill.com up to nowadays?
quite ironic, I just thought about that lately too.

"The frightening thing is that it died because of the same things that are happening with this forum at the moment"
maybe SK died because of the impossible registration Captchas. Back in the day (first time..) I tried to create a SK account but failed on the last stage's Captcha Boss, seriously! They changed it someday but around that time rarely played Soldat anymore and my account turned into a dust catcher, so I wasn't exaclty a part of the community.

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56:49 am »
I never was a part of that community, but I remember that the page had good looking design and a flawless downloads section. JUst one of the countless examples of how Soldat grew as a game through community effort.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 04:07:08 am »
I never was a part of that community, but I remember that the page had good looking design and a flawless downloads section. JUst one of the countless examples of how Soldat grew as a game through community effort.

What I liked about it the most was the design. Here's how it looked in 2006. https://web.archive.org/web/20060721143113/http://selfkill.com/webv3/content/cms.php?action=overview&rubrik=all&maxentries=10&title=Herzlich%20Willkommen

Fucking cool right?

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:43:21 am »
Frankly it kills my eyes haha
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:31:56 pm by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »
darkslide =)
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 12:08:20 pm »
i miss the old selfkill times so hard. was just a perfect fan page, and especially the lost of the wonderful download archive is a tragedy for the whole community

Offline skc.r0adkill

• Major(1)
  • selfkill.com Head-Admin
    • selfkill.com
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 01:22:50 am »
hi there, i'm still alive, yeah, but SK community is dead, sry 4 that.
we've been hacked down several times an the last one compromised the whole server - not only the vserver sk was hosted on.
i often look back and remember these times.. hm.... put on my sk t-shirt, unroll a huge sk poster,...
recently i've had a chat with keydon. it was so funny: our email-server is still alive and i've ordered sth and the mail was sent to the old sk-server-mailaddy. so, keydon and i received that mail and he forwarded this one to me. at this point i recognized, there is another one who still can't give up the good old sk-times - at least a mailaddy.

so, dear old sk-community, i want to leave here a warm "thank you" for all the great moments.
thank you!
*have phun* =D