Author Topic: Tell the player to do some "word-of-mouth advertising"  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
Tell the player to do some "word-of-mouth advertising"
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:44:24 pm »
Hey,
Since Soldat lives from filled servers, why not remind the people to do some word-of-mouth advertising/ conversational viral marketing??
As far as I know, Soldat-players are a bit lazy... So you could add such a message to the nag-screen. Just to remind the people that there will be more players, if more people know about the game...
There are about 9.000.000.000 ppl on earth. You really wanna tell me that only like 100-200 want to play this fantastic game per day????

I asked myself, why there were so many more players in the early versions. Even back then better-looking games existed, so that's no excuse to me! There are yet not many games with better movement...
So the only answer that came to my mind is, that there are no ads for soldat anymore!

Maybe one could even ship some soldat-banners or something for the people in other forums... Just make viral marketing as simple as possible..

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
Re: Tell the player to do some "word-of-mouth advertising"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:04:53 pm »
Soldat looks too old and outdated. Boom, answer found.

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:15:28 am »
Many people already know about this game. They just either never try it or play modern games (or both).

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:03 am »
As I said, Soldat always looked old and outdated. Even "Worms 2" looked better. Yet lots of people played it.
Apart from that, Soldat is not outdated!!! Since it still is actively developed. So there still is a real development going on, agree??
I don't play it cause of the fancy graphics, I think noone does, but because of the tight action. It has this "who pulls 1st"-feeling like no other game (if the weap-bal is ok). So I think it has its place.
But I think nearly all maps could use some polish, that's true. But that even takes place now. There is this server where that one guy presents his remakes, so one just has to ask him for the next release!...

And did u know that there even are clones of Soldat (Storm2d) that are rather new?! ..I didn't as of some hours ago.
(It looks quite the same. One can do more, but maybe too much. - I don't want to lay infront of my pc with epilepsy...)
And here we are again. I couldn't play that other game, because I simply didn't know about it.
Now what would be the downside to add such an advice??? I think it only can help.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:07:21 am »
add anticheat (ongoing)
new gui (ongoing I think)
Fix some crucial bugs (will probbably happen)
Then I think we deffenetly should start promoting soldat

Soldat is on the right path, it's just that we don't have too many devs to do the job.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:23 am »
What Soldat needs is new and better looking maps. The gameplay is near perfect, and the bugs are not as noticable as they were some versions ago.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:06:34 am »
Can we stop creating topics like that ? For some reason nothing happens on the mapping part. Same goes for the GUI, interface, weapons, sounds / ... replacements.

It's still behind me why nothing happens on that, while all these much more appealing mods / maps / ... already exist for years.

Code: [Select]
CTRL + C
CTRL + V

That's what we need.
Kinda tired about talking about all these things for the past 10 years and yet I nothing happens for no reason. (If there is a valid reason let me know please)

Ontopic: Ads would help but ads aren't free and no one would be willing to pay for it ( wild guess ).
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:41 am »
You seem to forget just how tedious mapping is. It is time consuming if you want to deliver the best you can do, and time is quite valuable if you'd ask me.

Besides that, I have had a period where I've had a lot of free time on my hands (vacation, that is), and I made remakes for Cobra, Voland, Hormone, and Dropdown, yet I never had an official response that went further than "we are interested in the maps". To this day, I don't know what needs be changed to make them pass the standards for a default map. ;)

That's why I had mostly abandoned mapping at least.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:25:35 pm »
It's another thing if your maps aren't played on servers -- for those this applies to. Neat enough, I had some LAW maps used and Mr. Domino hosted some zombie maps as well (and maybe other maps were hosted without my knowledge).

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 06:21:19 pm »
Then I think we deffenetly should start promoting soldat

Maybe after a decade or two, there comes the time for doing so ;)...