Author Topic: State of Mapping  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
State of Mapping
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:48:57 pm »
Hi Everyone, Wraithlike here.

It's been a while, you've missed me, I've missed you. We've all grown-up and there are even some new faces.

What I want to know is the state of Soldat mapping:

• Who's still around?
  • What game modes are people play, and what do they want to play?
  • What maps do you want to see made?
  • Do people still collaborate and would there be interest in making a community driven mappack?
  • What version of Polyworks should I be using?
  • Anything else!
Thanks in advance.

Your Friend,
Wraithlike

DarkCrusade

Re: State of Mapping
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »
Welcome back Wraithlike! There's but a bunch of mappers left, like Haste, Viral, darDar, or me, and the number is ever-dwindling. People play CTF most of the time, but there's good activity in climbing as well.

I'd love to collaborate, although I am not sure if anyone interested is from Europe. It's kind of difficult to effectively collaborate with a huge time gap.

Just pick up the latest Polyworks version. There have been a lot of changes, and you will probably like them. :)

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »
Hi Everyone, Wraithlike here.

It's been a while, you've missed me, I've missed you. We've all grown-up and there are even some new faces.

What I want to know is the state of Soldat mapping:

• Who's still around?
  • What game modes are people play, and what do they want to play?
  • What maps do you want to see made?
  • Do people still collaborate and would there be interest in making a community driven mappack?
  • What version of Polyworks should I be using?
  • Anything else!
Thanks in advance.

Your Friend,
Wraithlike
Hello, You probably don't know me, as I came into Soldat rather late. But I'm still around and making maps as we speak.

- Nowadays some game modes became rather inactive. For example: infiltration, rambomatch, pointmatch, ...

- The most played game modes at the moment are Capture the Flag and Climbing. There is a little bit of activity still in some modes such as Deathmatch, Hide and Seek, M79 coop Climbing, RunMode, RS/CS, ...

- Explain your idea of a "community driven mappack" Maybe we can work something out.

- Use the latest version of PolyWorks available.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:34:37 pm »
Hey DC!

Nice to see a familiar face! I'd have no problem doing a collab across the Atlantic, lets see what happens. And I'm excited to try the new PW, I think mine's pretty outdated. Apparently they finally added background polys. :DDD

Hi Bistoufly! Nice to meet you.

Sad to hear INF isn't getting any love. That's always been my favorite. I love the asymmetry. CTF is cool too though, there are definitely a lot of things that haven't been realized

Back in the day there were a few community projects to make Mappacks, I participated in INFMS: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=19745.msg227930#msg227930, and I'm pretty sure there were others. It was pretty fun using different elements from different mappers to get some truly unique maps maybe if enough people are interested we could do something like an "Asymmetrical" CTF pack or something like that

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:18:19 am »
Sup Wraithlike.

Um, I'll still map inf, if that goes for anything.

I'd be willing to waypoint in a map collab.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:20:46 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:32:02 am »
Hey, welcome back Wraithlike!
I have a bunch of unreleased maps which are "work in progress". The layouts are actually finished though. I'll be away for a few days or weeks but I would be glad to participate in some maping contest or sth similar. There didn't happen that much about mapping here recently.
Akinaro made some remakes in HD which look very well.

I guess there will be more mapping activity if there is actually a goal for the mappers (contests, new maps for upcoming versions)

Most maps are designed for ctf but id be happy to see some new DM maps too
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:34:51 pm »
welcome back wraithlike :) I am inactive lately, but you should check the mode called m79 coop climb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-sb5kWeSAg
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:55:31 pm »
YO WRAITH MBOY HOPE YOUR WELL ME N MY DAWGS GUN GET BAK IN THE GAME HMU PLAYA FACEBOOK.COM/KNOISV
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:03 am »
YO WRAITH MBOY HOPE YOUR WELL ME N MY DAWGS GUN GET BAK IN THE GAME HMU PLAYA FACEBOOK.COM/KNOISV

Friended you <3

And yeah maybe I'll get back into mapping too. My maps were shite though.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:09:02 am »
Hey, layout is all that matters, look at mar77a's work
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:07 am »
So I decided to visit these forums for the first time in years and lo and behold, it's charles and wraith! How the hell are ya, bros?!
I am currently too busy with IRL stuff to do anything, but I wish you luck in your endeavors and will be keeping an eye on the collab if it happens!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:45:17 am by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »
Background polygons. I can't believe it's taken this long to make that a thing. It would be great for Blue Ninja's hentai maps. :P

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »
It would be great for Blue Ninja's hentai maps. :P

That fucker needs to come back and make more.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 07:53:00 am »
He posted 2 dm maps this february so I guess you can say he didn't go anywhere :B Maybe he will make some hentai maps for us next February ^^.
Welcome back Wraithlike <3 I remember checking your maps in PW to learn some useful stuff - you were a great teacher, even tho you didn't know it!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:08:59 am »
Wraithlike, if you're up for the collaboration, what kind of map will we do? Something original or an 'original' remake? :)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
If anyone is interested, I have some maps which are work in progress. The layout is finished as the polygon placement + some minor sceneries.
I'm pretty terrible in the shading part, which makes my maps look pretty flat and similiar, in terms of the texture.

If anyone feels like this map has some potential and would be worth your time let me know.

I'm up for any kind of collaboration either, but I'm not really that experienced as a mapper.

(I'm using background + bg. transition polygons at the pillars, so you can't hide with the flag in your base, and not throw it into it either.

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »
asd

Looks straightforward. Too straightforward!

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 01:24:01 pm »
asd

Looks straightforward. Too straightforward!

Yeah, can be. However, I found 2 other maps which are actually fine but require "some" tweaks.
If anyone wanna co - work on that leave me a message  [pigtail]

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 09:25:31 pm »
On the gray one, the little egg-shaped islands look rough to use.

The green one looks like the routes are a little too flat.