Author Topic: Maturing into Men, and role models?  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Maturing into Men, and role models?
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:02:53 am »
As going-to-be/soon-to-be/wannabe men (or already men) in social society, who are (or were) your role models and examples for the assistance of maturing into men?

For me, I find that some of my irregular role models are actors from old movies, like Clark Gable or Jimmy Stewart. Sometimes I even pick off of James Bond. It may sound silly, but old black and whites sometimes have great principles interlaced into them that are worth learning from. Obviously for James Bond, it's the charm.

And no, I'm not a complete geek. I've got some real life manly examples as well.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: Maturing into Men, and role models?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:20:01 am »
I took a huge step towards maturity at a very young age, due to a set of social problems running within my family. I really had no choice - grow up or break down. I would eventually come to experience both of'em, but that's not the point.

I won't say I'm all mature yet. I fact, how does one define mature? It's sort of a personal view, isn't it? I like to think I'm somewhat mature. For example, I've got school for at least 6 hours a day, I work 2 jobs on the side, I pay my bills and all that crap. Sometimes there's even room for friends or the occasional gal. That's a life I've got set up. Does that mean I'm mature?

To be honest, I think maturity is a state of mind rather than a social status. It's the way you handle certain challenges, and your general approach to others and what they may be dealing with. However, as I see it, these are factors in an equation that is pretty much decided the general public. Being mature today isn't the same as it was 150 years ago. Save for one thing, wether or not you're able to stand on your own two legs, if you're independant.

Seems I got carried away a little there..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:05:42 am »
Being mature today isn't the same as it was 150 years ago.

Definitely, I've been learning this too (well, it's rather obvious). Maturity is definitely a state of mind, and how you handle yourself. But it improves/varies with experience as well.

I took a huge step towards maturity at a very young age

Not that I know what age you specifically mean, but I've been told I may be ahead of the game for my age. I honestly don't feel this way, as people know themselves better than anyone else, and I know that I've got plenty of things holding me back at the moment.

The definition of "maturity" and "manhood" certainly varies... and you never really reach the epitome of either. I was talking to a 50 year old guy the other day and he talked about how he was still learning, and in a sense, "maturing".

It's not an easy process if you want to get a head-start, at least from my experience. I have really had to work at it... but it's rewarding when things come together and I come to understand a new link in the chain.

It feels weird when hanging out with people my own age that just aren't on the same page, and I have to be careful not to revert to old mindsets... but it varies from person to person.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:27:03 am »
I've always had older friends, 'cause somehow I just didn't fit in too well with people my own age. It's not that I look at peoples age and sort them off, I have friends that are younger than me as well. It's a character thing, and I just got tired of feeling like I was speaking to the wall whenever I had one of the classmates over. I thought it would gradually go away as I and everyone got older, but actually it's only gotten worse. As you grow up you realise that many adults act more childish than most kids do, and that really is a f**king drag. However, I've learned to not really pay attention. The one thing I do know is maturity doesn't necessarily come with age.

The thing about falling back into old mindsets, as you put it, shouldn't worry you too much. Unless of course said mindsets are directly bad for you, like unhealthy habits such as drugs or whatever. For now, just be glad that some of those old frineds are still around, and that you're still able to come together and have a laugh, even if it makes you feel sorta ridiculous. I have that sort of friends as well. I don't talk to them much, mostly because I just don't have the time to include anyone but the elite circle of friends in my 'new' life. Bu when I do talk to them, it's like we saw eachother just the day before. It's pretty awesome to be able to fall back into that careless character every once in a while, but that doesn't mean I have to take that with me once I walk out the door.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't cut all connections to who you used to be, even if you've wanted to move away from it for a long time. You might find you're missing it just a bit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:36:29 am by echo_trail »

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:22:21 am »
Bruce Willis.

That bald guy is just plain awesome.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 06:16:18 am »
Tyler Durdon, Dad, Brother, etc
There are other worlds than these

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:46:10 am »
Tyler Durden? as in Brad Pitt/Edward Norton? How the hell are they/is he a roll model?

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:57:55 am »
They shouldn't be, role models should be people close to you. Someone that can have a hand in your life, not just some far off statue of what you think is a man. For me it's my dad.
@ii

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:07:09 am »
I don't have such a model around me. They're all so macho, but yet hairless when it comes to the real shit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:09:02 am by Mitak »

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 10:53:39 am »
i earn more money than you, i smoke more weed than you, i fuck more girls than you

i am man

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:27 am »
You never fully mature until you are about 32 to 35. You may think, when you hit your early 20's that you've reached maturity, but it only really dawns on you after you have passed 30.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:07:58 am »
For me it's my dad.

For us who lack one, which is a moderate portion of the U.S. ::)

You never fully mature until you are about 32 to 35. You may think, when you hit your early 20's that you've reached maturity, but it only really dawns on you after you have passed 30.

Oh shut up, that's brain development and what-not, therefore doesn't count :P. You don't just wake up one day poof, "I'm mature." I know 30+ year olds who are selfish and screw over their families and don't have jobs, much less keep one for more that two days (luckily not one of my relatives).

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »

yes you would know

because you are older than 30. sure

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 01:05:58 pm »
For me it's my dad.

For us who lack one, which is a moderate portion of the U.S. ::)
I have a few role models, my dad is just the embodiment of the type of man/husband/father I want to be, people with one parent/no parents may have a hard time finding a personal role model but the benefits of searching for one far outweigh the trouble of finding one.  Also a good note is that a role model is not always a teacher of how to do things, but also how not to do things. The wise learn from others mistakes.

@ii

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:16 pm »
Tom  Delonge, is my role model.
Holy Poop!

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:44 pm »
myself.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 01:59:25 pm »
i earn more money than you, i smoke more weed than you, i f**k more girls than you

i am man

: C

Panzer wins.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 02:23:12 pm »
i earn more money than you, i smoke more weed than you, i f**k more girls than you

i am man

: C

Panzer wins.

Only with the weed part to be sure!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »
All this shittalk about being mature or not is pissing me off. For sure it´s important to get a bit into maturity, but don´t forget your roots in childhood. If you are the pure mature person you are

1) not funny
2) not being able to have friends
3) not being able to be not serious

I guess 1) is the most important part :P

Well. I hate immature people for being retarded assholes fucking everyone off with 1337 5PE3c|-| and stuff or just being dickheads but I know that I myself am more child than I´d like to be :)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 02:35:25 pm »
Slow down there, Pan. Being mature is not the same as being dull. Just 'cause you don't run around acting like a kid doesn't mean life can't be funny, and it definitely doesn't mean you can't have friends. How'd you arrive at that conclusion?