Author Topic: calm down everyone we'll be fine, michał is finally making a sequel  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
THE WARSAW INDIES

"You know Soldat? I made Soldat. I'm the guy behind Soldat."

Michal Marcinkowski isn't the oldest indie game developer in Poland, but he was the first. Not yet 30 when I meet him in the Crunching Koalas office space, Marcinkowski was in high school when he released the 2-D multiplayer shooter Soldat in 2002. It was his first commercial game, and also, as of yet, his most successful.

"It was a global success," Marcinkowski says. "It was pretty cool. ... I was indie even before [the term] indie was invented. Nobody called me indie until 2008 or something. [Before that] I was just making games."

Yet ever since releasing Soldat, both before and after he came to be called "indie," Marcinkowski has been chasing the success of that very first commercial game — and, so far, failing.

"That's why [I'm] doing a sequel," he says. "It should be even better. ... I want to fix the mistakes. I didn't know what I was doing back then. There was just my intuition and luck. I made lots of decisions that weren't good, especially long term, in terms of weapons patterns and things — I think the game could be more fun if I fix those mistakes."
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: calm down everyone we'll be fine, michał is finally making a sequel
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
As positive as it sounds, I doubt the game he's working on will actually be the Soldat we know. Probably the same concept, but different gameplay. As he says, he wants to fix mistakes, but a lot of what is considered game mechanics in Soldat right now originated from those mistakes and flaws. Kind of how rocket jumping was "invented" in the Quake series. From what I saw with KAG - I got the impression he has no clue what he's doing. The game was functional but they just couldn't decide on the gameplay. So the big question is - which parts of Soldat MM thinks are "mistakes", and which parts make Soldat what it is. I'm skeptical that MM will be able to decide correctly, but oh well. We'll wait and see I guess.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:39:14 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »
Is that related to Storm2D, or is he talking about a completely new game here?
Rating on what he said there it rather sounds like if it's a new game which is coded by himself, which wouldn't apply to Storm2D, unless MM is actually RolandB, lol.

@L[one]R, yeah, that's indeed hard to get those "mistakes" filtered, if you are the dev and not the player.
I guess that's a problem many game devs have to face, they have another view on the game and on it's potential and "mistakes" or whatever.
That's the point where you should listen to a small team of players, but not too much community driven though.. hard thing to balance out.

Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:04:03 am »
I only skimmed the article, but I'm pretty sure it's not Storm2D he's referring to.

As I can tell from ideas they've been throwing out about it, it sounds more like Link-Dead than Soldat. Think classed based (medics that can revive and resupply ammo, spies and gunner classes), placing mines, repairing stuff.

Though unlike Link-Dead I'm guessing they'll try to make it actually fun and not control like Prince of Persia games.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:00:49 am »
It could be Storm2d actually. I dont know of another project atm.

Maybe it is soldat 1.7 renamed soldat 2 ;P

Come on you dont think 1.7 will be awesome?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:31 am »
that one is storm, but MM wasn't happy with how that interview went; i think he was more happy with how it came out on the site but i wouldn't take everything as gospel
Okey, it's obviously about Storm but it's kinda weird how MM claims here that it's his game and doesnt even mention anything about it. No idea if it's just a bad interviewer and article, but I'm sure he had the chance to clear some things out because the way it's written it says that MM is doing that game.

but .. oh well, you never know.. Link-Dead is lying around for around 3-4 years untouched now, guess it's time to turn it into something good.

For everyone who hasn't heard about Storm2D yet:

storm2d.net
Trailer on YT

Shoozza: not unless you reveal some features or post the devlogs in time ! :p
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:16:42 am by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:58 am »

For once I'm the one reading Asana and you aren't.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:52:32 am »
No idea if it's just a bad interviewer and article

It's more than likely that this is the case. If it was Storm I'd imagine the article would say that MM's team of devs are working on Soldat 2, rather than insinuating MM being the sole developer.

Hell, or maybe MM is secretly making Soldat 2 and hasn't told anyone yet, like how he didn't say anything about KAG for a while.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 03:55:42 pm »

I'm a lot more hyped by 1.7 than by MM's sequel.
To be honest I don't even care about it. I'm just posting here to give you my support, Shoozza.  :)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:41:22 pm »

For once I'm the one reading Asana and you aren't.
Awesome! Keep it up! But don't worry I read it a lot as well ;)

No idea if it's just a bad interviewer and article

It's more than likely that this is the case. If it was Storm I'd imagine the article would say that MM's team of devs are working on Soldat 2, rather than insinuating MM being the sole developer.

Hell, or maybe MM is secretly making Soldat 2 and hasn't told anyone yet, like how he didn't say anything about KAG for a while.
Or maybe he didn't say it like they wrote is and it is a big misunderstanding. Mysterious!

I'm a lot more hyped by 1.7 than by MM's sequel.
To be honest I don't even care about it. I'm just posting here to give you my support, Shoozza.  :)
Thanks for the support! Please support the other devs as well, they also need some boost to get thought the soldat code jungle of chaos with all the deep if wholes, the 80+ char high line trees and the 25k+ line high file mountains of madness with their hill functions which also grow some hundreds of lines up.

Rules

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »
Thanks for the support! Please support the other devs as well, they also need some boost to get thought the soldat code jungle of chaos with all the deep if wholes, the 80+ char high line trees and the 25k+ line high file mountains of madness with their hill functions which also grow some hundreds of lines up.

I blame a lot of the code's "inelegance" on the fact that it's written in Delphi more than anything else.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 12:23:29 am »
aw EFF i'd kill to see the soldat source code
f, man
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:10:30 am »
Heh on the other hand it is still source code and while I describe it like an adventure it is one of a different kind ;)

I blame a lot of the code's "inelegance" on the fact that it's written in Delphi more than anything else.
I have to disagree, I blame the "inelegance" on taking shortcuts and other stuff which is not language related (splitting it in two repositories, huge non modular files etc).
You can write inelegant code any language (some languages make it more difficult though - functional ones mainly). I don't want think about how ugly the code would look like if it was written in a more popular compiled language.
Without Delphi there would be no Soldat.
Delphi is easy to understand and has less traps loop holes. It was actually developed for teaching purposes.

So what is the reason you think it is inelegant? Is it because Delphi requires you to declare variables in the function head?

I notice this is going offtopic so maybe we should split this into another thread :3
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:13:29 am by Shoozza »
Rules

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 03:23:44 am »
Heh on the other hand it is still source code and while I describe it like an adventure it is one of a different kind ;)

I have to disagree, I blame the "inelegance" on taking shortcuts and other stuff which is not language related (splitting it in two repositories, huge non modular files etc).
You can write inelegant code any language (some languages make it more difficult though - functional ones mainly). I don't want think about how ugly the code would look like if it was written in a more popular compiled language.
Without Delphi there would be no Soldat.
Delphi is easy to understand and has less traps loop holes. It was actually developed for teaching purposes.

So what is the reason you think it is inelegant? Is it because Delphi requires you to declare variables in the function head?

I notice this is going offtopic so maybe we should split this into another thread :3

I don't care about defining variables in the function thread and there are a few things I like about it, except I think it's kind of messed up how instead of using braces or indention it makes you litter your code with then/begin/end, assignment requires a colon before the equals sign, and delphi has very strange syntax highlighting. There are other things as well but I'd rather whine to you over gtalk than the forums ;)

That, and just because something was created for teaching doesn't mean it's a good or bad thing in itself.

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
  • Soldat! Soldat! Soldat!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 04:11:00 am »

Sure I do  :)
My love to Soldat is eternal, forever and always

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 04:24:02 am »
Ok, If there were Soldat 2, this is what the fan want for years:

- New GUI
- 2.5D with parallax effect map
- HD graphic and texture
- Shadow and light effect
- More ''bonus'' item
- More live (smoking, bird flying, trees sway)
- Character preview in ''player'' tab
- Remove ''Pointmatch'' :X
- Dynamic sound effects in diffirent enviroment
- Better Movement
- Compeletely brand new maps (or remake)
-
-
- CAMPAAAAAIGN... !!!!!

Well I have collected the fan idea, this is what they want most. :)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 01:09:52 pm »

You forgot vehicles

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 05:30:52 am »
Don't worry Shoozza we are all waiting impatiently for 1.7 and if you keep up with the devlogs you will hopefully cause more excitement :) Though I am interested to see where Storm2d goes I have tried the alpha and read a bit in their forums, currently it feels that they do not really have a clear idea of what sort of gameplay they want the game to focus on but it is only in the alpha stages so guess we will see!

Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 01:04:53 pm »

- New GUI
- 2.5D with parallax effect map
- HD graphic and texture
- Shadow and light effect
- More ''bonus'' item
- More live (smoking, bird flying, trees sway)
- Character preview in ''player'' tab
- Remove ''Pointmatch'' :X
- Dynamic sound effects in diffirent enviroment
- Better Movement
- Compeletely brand new maps (or remake)
-
-
- CAMPAAAAAIGN... !!!!!

Well I have collected the fan idea, this is what they want most. :)
Just give us a decent performance.  [pigtail]
For me, the 30 fps (or less) feeling in the "newest PCs" killed the game.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:06:43 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 11:27:16 pm »

You forgot vehicles

Yeah, vehicles can smash the enemy :) like a tank :)