Author Topic: State of development  (Read 5464 times)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
State of development
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:19 pm »
Hello,

So, I've had a soldat related chat few days ago and I came back to the forums and took notice that there doesn't seem to be development progress. There is no devlog been posted and the few posts usually contain 2 small fixes.

What happened with the Devs?
Why did you cancel 1.7 and call it 1.6.9 now?

You created so much hype about 1.7 and nothing happened since then.
Any news about gui changes?
News about adding map remakes?
News about anti cheat?
Any ETA for 1.7 (or however you'll call that hyped version)

Thanks
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: State of development
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:33:02 pm »
What happened with the Devs?
Most devs are idle, ExHunder did some work last time and skoskav said that he will work on soldat soon.

Why did you cancel 1.7 and call it 1.6.9 now?
No, it is not canceled. We will a beta release of 1.6.9 in a few weeks.

Not sure what you mean, can you explain in more detail?

I didn't have any contact with the mapping team and I haven't heard from zakath so don't assume any changes in 1.6.9.

News about anti cheat?
I didn't speak with Mr in a while now, but he is not working on 1.6.9 anti cheat stuff.

Hard to tell. It mainly depends on the activity in the dev team.
Sadly there isn't much activity lately so... Ask me again in one month.
I'll try to push 1.7 forward as much as possible.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:43:02 pm »
Not sure what you mean, can you explain in more detail?
I was referring to the GUI layouts which were designed by DUZ for example & the scoreboard layouts

I didn't have any contact with the mapping team and I haven't heard from zakath so don't assume any changes in 1.6.9.
Can't you add some new content anway?

News about anti cheat?
I didn't speak with Mr in a while now, but he is not working on 1.6.9 anti cheat stuff.
That's sad to hear.. I thought you guys were about to be done with the anti cheat integration.

Hard to tell. It mainly depends on the activity in the dev team.
Sadly there isn't much activity lately so... Ask me again in one month.
I'll try to push 1.7 forward as much as possible.

What about all the planned features for 1.7? I remember you said there will be some amazing stuff but you didnt reveal anything yet - will these features still be done for 1.7?

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:24:41 pm »
Ah yeah, I liked the GUI stuff DUZ did actually. We should take inspiration in it for future versions.

I could play pick the map, but I'm probably not the right person to choose stuff as someone has to work on 1.7.
Could you talk to the mapping team about this instead?

There will be amazing stuff in 1.7, don't worry about that. I'm always interested in your opinions about what feature/change/fix would make you really happy.

Rules

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:47 pm »
Ah yeah, I liked the GUI stuff DUZ did actually. We should take inspiration in it for future versions.
That would be great!

I could play pick the map, but I'm probably not the right person to choose stuff as someone has to work on 1.7.
Could you talk to the mapping team about this instead?
Well, there doesn't seem to be a mapping team - nothing happens here and people who made amazing maps such as Akinaro (in terms of visuals) or others such as Viral etc. were kinda ignored. Kinda a reason why the mapping board is so dead. There is no new map released because people have no motivation to work on stuff for several hours/days, which will never be played at all.
I think it's time to put some new names into that so called mapping team because it is obviously dead since 2 years or so.

There will be amazing stuff in 1.7, don't worry about that. I'm always interested in your opinions about what feature/change/fix would make you really happy.

That's nice to hear. I kinda left the Soldat for a few months now because I was honestly pissed off how some suggestions were ignored over and over and over again. (such as my soldat.pl website topic, which no one seem to care about while it would have only taken 5 minutes to fix most issues...)

My personal list ordered by priority:

- Anti Cheat
- new GUI (Menu + Scoreboard)
- new visuals (gosteks + maps)
- new content (new maps or remakes & new weapons / bonuses)
- Account System / Stats (similar to the one NSC made)

I have been playing Soldat for so many years now and there REALLY is no more GAME BREAKING bug left in this game. Sure there are some bugs here and there but as I said -;there is no fatal bug left. So, it's time for new features.

Well, that's what I was praying for for years now but nothing really ever happened on that while it was discussed in several threads and I'm afraid that it won't change.

I was cooperating a lot with the main dev of Storm2D lately and he would have just fixed bugs I reported in live-time or max. in 24 hours usually. The weekly changelog is larger than then changelog a new soldat version would come up with, so .. I guess it's kinda hard to compare but I don't know ... It would be great to be more integrated in the development and that the communities voice won't stay unheard.

Also, as mentioned above - Get rid of apparently dead dev team members and replace them with people who have time and who are willing to contribute. There won't be too many left of them.

However, I really can't think of a good and stunning new version when looking at the latest dev. progress and the announcement that there won't be anti cheat in 1.7, since MR is obviously not working on it right now.

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:33:36 pm »
As far as i know im in a mapping team and i can tell you that you shouldn't expect anything big. We had plans remaking defaults but it takes a lot of effort due to shitty polygon structures which requires us to redo the whole map from 0. we don't work on anything and don't expect a single change.
Story time!
I was quite active with Haste some time ago but we can't work efectively when we don't know what people expect. Do you want an Ash remake - I'd blindly guess we would see a ton of hate and [old ash] in server's name.
But let's wonder - we made an Ash remake (oh wait - we pretty much did it :O). OK lets ask the rest of the mapping team what they think!.. All we got was "Looks good, I don't like the shading tho, looks flat". Really, I mean really? Major on a coop map was more helpful. What are we supposed to do with it? "Ok lets work on the colors a bit" - sadly you have to wait for another comment for half a year because of the mentioned lively atmosphere. If we even did something with the colors they would fade inbetween responses for with you have to wait for years.
And then you get informed that you shouldn't use half-invisible polygons. WTF. You want remakes and NEW SOLDAT and you don't allow me to use them? Shall i use my keyboard or will you equip me with a pick axe and a kerosene lamp so i can fit the theme?

If you want a map, gather a team, think about the concept and we will make it default. I never had any valuable message from CTF community so i guess they expect no changes, or expect changes to complain about. So why bother? Check my latest maps - all climb. Coincidence? Or maybe there are people that i acutally feel like I'm making maps to? Where am I even supposed to test my maps? On an empty server hosted by myself or should I rather spend a week begging people for testing? It's not just me being lazy, (which i hardly believe is a problem considering i have already the whole front page spammed with my maps) but others aswell. I'm already fullfiling my role, now others should ask themselves if they are doing the same.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:00 pm »
Welps, guys, I quit mapping noisily complaining about no one giving a flying fuck, and now people complain there's no change. Way to go!

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:30:29 am »
Yeah Roland is working hard on Storm.

I'll try to get in touch with the map team leader and see what can be done. For 1.7 there some mapping work would be nice.

I tried to get some stuff done on the website but I cannot change everything.

Btw for the list of changes you would like to see. Just found an older one here http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43615.msg521161#msg521161
Rules

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:00:52 am »
I have been playing Soldat for so many years now and there REALLY is no more GAME BREAKING bug left in this game. Sure there are some bugs here and there but as I said -;there is no fatal bug left. So, it's time for new features.
No game breaking or fatal bugs left? What the fuck are you smoking, man. All your credibility just flew out the window.

There's the bug where if you exit out of single player games to main menu twice, Soldat goes apeshit on your CPU and the only way to stop it is by exiting Soldat altogether. (NEW BUG)

There are the bugs which primarily affect those with higher pings where you or any other player will either:
- Go spec while still actually on a team with no way to get out of spec unless rejoining server (when it happens to you, you're fucked because your character just stands there while you're in spec mode on your screen; when it happens to others, they're invisible to you) (NEW BUG),
- Constantly keep joining the same team (when it happens to you, you're fucked because you can't move, as the weapon menu constantly pops up; when it happens to others, they're constantly jumping in and out of spec to the team they're rejoining... all the while the "________ has joined alpha/bravo team" message is constantly spammed) (NEW BUG),
- Have the colors of one team while actually being on the other team

And, of course, there's the never-repaired bug which is arguably the worst bug of all: eats.

There are more game-breaking bugs now than before.

Priority should be fixing these very fatal bugs. Fuck new features.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:05:13 am by %%%%%%% »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:03 am »
Please stay civil.

All the bugs you mention (except maybe the single player CPU bug) have to do with the netcode. Soldat doesn't implement any reliably support so any message could get lost (even chat messages). The player team change messages are just very very obvious when they happen.

I'd expect them to be fixed in 1.7.
Rules

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:56 am »
I'll try to get in touch with the map team leader and see what can be done. For 1.7 there some mapping work would be nice.

That would be great, please don't forget about it!

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 12:21:57 pm »
So as you can see I achieved new badge on my profile and I'm officially in a mapping section. The timing is quite unlucky because I'm going to have matura exams in 2 months and i have to start revising stuff but I'll do my best at least with the map oriented bug fixing :3

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »
So as you can see I achieved new badge on my profile and I'm officially in a mapping section. The timing is quite unlucky because I'm going to have matura exams in 2 months and i have to start revising stuff but I'll do my best at least with the map oriented bug fixing :3
Congrats. :)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 12:23:52 pm »
Thats cool, however, only the fact that you are wearing that forum title doesn't really change anything yet. It would be great if you and the other ppl. In the current mapping team could write a post towards the community in which you point out what your plans are and where people can suggest their ideas.

I want to see something happening rather than just talking about stuff again. By that I mean that things should start now and not in a few months or years.

Btw: you we're talking about the disadvantages of map remakes and how some maps would need to be totally rebuild. Akinaros ash remake was 1:1 equal with the original polygon layout but with better visuals. There is no reason to deny adding something. The few who claim that there are reasons need to be ignored then.
Ps: the "no transparent polygons" requirement for official maps is a joke indeed. Please consider to update your default map requirements to 2015 standards.

I wish you best of luck viral but I am not hyped about anything until I actually see results.
If there is something going to start in the mapping section I could imagine doing some mapping related work again or to at least finish / fix my existing maps, which could have a chance to be official - without being selfish. ctf_Blako or Pyramid could fit well (first one has the new background polygons which are not in any official map yet sadly, new features such as that should be introduced with a new map imo)
However, I would prefer to make more detailed mapping related posts to the requested mapping post I was asking you to do above.

@shoozza: what stops yoy from doing such changelogs such as Roland has ?
It's lack of time?

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »
Me and haste should still have the Ash remake somewhere around - I'd like to look at it again. Refering to Akinaro's Ash - it looks great but me personaly and some people who played on it complained about it being too image/scenery heavy. I'd like to focus more on balancing scenery usage with clarity of the map and make sure that the scenery will be just an addition. That means sticking more to the original theme (ok, maybe twisting some jungle themes, we don't need jungle anymore :d).

Lets leave the defaults for now and move to the new maps. I'd like to find see people (mostly on gathers) engaging into the project aswell. We have a lot of maps available on the forums and I highly doubt all of them have been tested. I don't know exactly how the gather system works, but I believe there is some kind of a maplist and it would be great to add some of the more intereting maps to the playlist and test them on the field. even if the map looks poor but has good layout we would be able to fix the flaws and pimp up the visuals and release a new default that would be warmly welcomed by at least some of the players. Ofc it the more player get engaged the faster it would work and better the maps would be at the end.

However, to do the mentioned above I'd need to get through the wall of grumpy-ash-lovers and I'm afraid it will scare the gather's admins enough to turn me down with a "nono".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:50:04 pm by Viral »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 02:12:26 pm »
We could sweet-talk Fryer into it. :3

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 05:24:21 am »
so, ... Viral: Are there any news about the mapping stuff in general because I fear there are none.

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:52 am »
If there isn't any hidden project running behind by back I havent observed any progress yet. I'm having my matura exams in a month and it's keeping be busy enough to be scared of getting into it. I know DutchFlame is willing to cooperate but I haven't talked to him yet because of the mentioned circumstances. On the other hand I don't know why would anyone need my help with putting maps form ctf/whaterver section on servers.. Also turns out the "default'itiation" process is way more complex than i thought it was and that doesn't help either. I can poke some dudes in a month, not earilier. I can still collaborate or spend few minutes in PW tho, but I'd rather be the one being asked, not asking till I get more free time again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:04:16 am by Viral »

Offline Ussocom

• Major(1)
  • Dat Usso
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 04:16:02 pm »
darDar: Soldats last hope 

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 08:25:58 pm »