Author Topic: ctf_Quantico  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Replica

• Major
ctf_Quantico
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:40:36 am »
Couldn't think of a name so I just called it after the name I'm using at the moment, which as far as I'm concerned feels like it has nothing to do with this map, but in the end I just don't care anymore.

Took note of some critique of my earlier map in this, mainly making things smaller! 

Guess I made it as a map for fast tight play; we'll see how it goes and if anyone has any decent tips for improvements I'd consider them.

Presenting:

ctf_Quantico

overview (includes map properties such as poly's n' stuff):
http://aussoldat-com.bizweb02.mydomainserv.net/aussoldat/Replica/Quantico_ov.png

download:
http://aussoldat-com.bizweb02.mydomainserv.net/aussoldat/Replica/ctf_Quantico.rar

Waypoints are barely functional, if at all, mainly due to one little point which for some reason I can't get working in the lower left area; and it's where blue low bots get into the red base and how red bots usually go to cap.  Annoying. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:31:55 pm by Replica »

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
Re: Quantico
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:52:39 am »
vertically mirrored kampf anyone?

a big problem of this map is, that the lower route does offer almost no advantage in contrary to the main route, not even as a sneak or escape route, since it's easy controllable from above and way slower than the main route.
i also think that this map favours blue, but explaining this would be kinda hard... gotta check that ingame.

however, i still think it's a very unique and good map, you should work out the lower route a bit. then, it might be a pleasure to play.
it's fine, visualwise btw :)
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Replica

• Major
Re: ctf_Quantico
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:21 pm »
Yeah I def. took a page outta kampf in a couple of regards (consider it a homage, since it is one of my favourite maps), but I think it's very different in most ways :P  Hell, even you reckon it's very unique, after calling it a mirrored kampf xD

Thanks for the critique; even though I personally would say the low route is not that big on the cards for a change, if anything it's probably the location of blue's flag (or red's flag) that makes things a little more difficult for red, if at all.  Going low has health at each end and can offer a very fast way into and out of the base, while top gets cramped and hectic (and from testing even just bots out, I assure you it can get hectic - and that was in a 3vs3 situation :P ). 
Of course, I could be wrong...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:09:04 pm by Replica »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:26:41 pm »
Reminded me heavily of ctf_Kampf, yep (the hill with the anti-spraying stalactites, and the bottom-right passage)...

Very nice vertex colors and shading! :) The moon also fits very well with the clouds; not many mappers can achieve that kind of effect. The clouds above the moon are unnecessary, though, since players can't see them. I like the map but it needs work on layout, primarily since it's too straightforward, especially the bottom path. Also, the aesthetics: the polygonal colors are good but it still looks bland... too plain. Try sticking something cool or weird, like a bridge or two on the lower path.

Perhaps studying ctf_Run's central and lower paths may help. I look forward to its revision.

Offline Replica

• Major
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:13:44 pm »
Actually you can go onto the roof; it's just a touch difficult to get there without boosting, and quite dangerous if someone is spawning as you go down the other end (see those large triangles peaking out of the spawn areas on each side?).  It's not really meant as a proper route for someone to take though. 

I was thinking about that kinda stuff, aesthetics and such, but I felt it didn't contribute/could interfere with gameplay in the end, that's why it's fairly basic or straight forward apart from the clouds, it'd probably look a bit gimmicky with too much going on - a lot of old school players I know seem to have an aversion to overly graphic/scenery enhanced maps.  Just keeping it simple. 
Perhaps the low route could do with some touch-ups like a subdivision in the middle, though I think it's still very playable as it is... wouldn't mind checking out the gameplay vs some people myself though!