Author Topic: Arena101  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Isaactoo

• Major(1)
Arena101
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:38:22 pm »
Although this is my first map...it started a year ago so it has a little quality to it.
It is not a glamorous map, but my goal was to mainly make a map that would allow for different game play.
I used most (if not all) the different terrain types that pollyworks could offer & color coded them so that players could easily know what type it is ingame (List is below).

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arena101mp4.jpg

Terrian color key:
Brown & Darkish green = Normal
Lighter green = only projectiles are effected
Dark purple = Heals player(s)
Light purple = only players are effected
White = slippery (ice)
Red = hurts players
Lava = kills players instantly
Yellow = you can only go Downwards through most of them due to all the triangles (diode like)
Blue = Super bouncy
Cyan = weird

Other screenies:
http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arena1011be1.png
http://img455.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arena101npc1.jpg (Night variant)

Tips: If you lye down on the ice & crawl forward you can go super fast, (on the slopes you Must also use your jet boots)
Goodies & powerups spawn allot in the deep

Has Support for all game types
The bots arn't terriffic...and they occasionally get stuck, but this map is made for people.
If you want to play against bots, have at least 5.

Credits:
Michal Marcinkowski - Maker of Soldat
Anna - Maker of Pollyworks
SakAttak - Maker of Lakeside map (I used a couple lamps for scenery)
Cousins & friends who tested it with me (not on this forum)

In the zip there is the normal map with infinite fuel, one with very limited fuel, and one that takes place at night (has medium fuel).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:07:04 pm by Isaactoo »

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
Re: Arena101
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:52:05 pm »
this map is prettier than VTTs!!!1!1
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:14:27 pm »
u are saying it really?

uhmm thats a rare map but its really funnny play with pple

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:59:16 pm »
Looks random and fun, but I would have preferred non-default back ground colors.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:30:43 pm »
Looks rather interesting, pretty much has everything in it, and has a lotta colors.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:58:03 pm »
I saw horrible maps in my time, but this is special... It shows all possible and impossible types of bugs and distillation of uglyness   :-X

what was that about  ???

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:10:19 pm »
Good job keeping things constructive guys.  I love all these comments with ways he could practice/improve his mapping skills.  Keep 'em coming.

* Texture stretching - Do it less, please.  The textures are so overstretched in places it end up ruining it and looking like a broken television screen.
* Shading - Instead of making everything out of bog, blocky triangles, try breaking the larger shapes into smaller triangles that share a common corner.  Makes it easier to use that pallet thingie and put in variations of a color, liter darker areas, etc.
* Layout - Everything is so...random.  A good DM map will usually have some sort of layout that focuses play into constant motion, so that the game doesn't sit still if people tuck themselves away in random, hard to get to areas.

Look around the mapping forums for tutorials on anything from shading to poly placement.  They're all there.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »
Well i have a filling that this map have been made especially to combine all types of bugging, lagging and blinking into one place... That isn't that easy to create to say *ahh it's just my first map*... something suspicious here...

[edit]and by the way i'm one of the two people who downloaded this map so far (after 8 posts)... in game it's many times worse then on screenshots...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:36:22 pm by VirtualTT »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:23:48 pm »
I'd say, add 20 bots to alpha and join bravo and you have yourself quite the game here.
Well i have a filling that this map have been made especially to combine all types of bugging, lagging and blinking into one place... That isn't that easy... And it seems to me that Isaactoo is someone else actually...
blinking?