Author Topic: Adding maps to server. Questions.  (Read 1797 times)

Offline mrwaffles

• Major(1)
Adding maps to server. Questions.
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:53:11 pm »
When I add maps to my server and the map comes in a ZIP file with a map, textures and scenery-gfx and folder what do I do with all of those folders? Do I extract the files from within each folder and put them in the folders that are map, textures and scenery-gfx (the ones that I already had from downloading soldat). Or do I put the map, textures and scenery-gfx folders from the zip file into the other map, textures and scenery-gfx folders that I already had?

My other question is that why is it that when a map that not ever body has loads into the server then once the maps loads the spawn points are usually messed up and the flag might spawn half way across the map near alphas spawn (server runs INF only). What causes this to happen?

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
Re: Adding maps to server. Questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 04:29:48 am »
If I understand the first question right, the zipfile contains several folders (Maps, Scenery-gfx, Textures etc.) and within these folders are the actual scenery-, map- and texture-files?
If that's the case, you can just unzip the zipfile into your soldat folder (C:/Games/Soldat for example). He will "overwrite" the excisting folders in your soldat directory. This actually means the files in the folders of the zip are added to the assiociated excisting folders in your soldat directory.
This way you don't have to add all the files to each folder manually. :)

I hope I've explained it clear, if not, keep on questioning. :P

I don't know the answer to your second question but I would guess it probably has something to do with the fact people can't download maps, scenery's, textures etc. from your server.

Offline mrwaffles

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 09:31:36 am »
So what you're saying is that I download lets say... the map Inf_caves. It comes with the map, Scenery-gfx, and Textures folders. I will then save the zip folder to my main soldat folder and then those map, Scenery-gfx, and Textures folders will automatically over ride the other map, Scenery-gfx, and Textures folders that were already in my soldat folder? Or should I manually add the map folder to the maps folder and the textures folder to the textures folder etc.? Sorry if i'm not being very clear about this as i'm a bit confused myself lol.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 10:08:59 am »
Haha, no problem. I wasn't really clear either. :D
Just putting the zipfile into your soldat folder won't do anything. :P You have to unzip/extract it.

A little picture.

If the files in zip are like that, you can just extract the zipfile into your soldat folder (C:/Games/Soldat for example).
The files which are in the zips Maps folder will be placed in the Maps folder of your soldat, the files which are in the zips scenery-gfx folder will be placed in the scenery-gfx of your soldat, etc. It won't delete or overwrite anything, unless there already are files with the same name.

If there are no folders in the zipfile, but loose files instead, you have to manually extract them into the right folder. You won't see that much with scenery or texture files but map files (.Pms) might be in the zip as loose file (I.E. not in a folder called Maps like in the picture above). In this case you have to manually move the mapfile into the Maps folder of Soldat after extraction.
I hope that helped. :)

I still got the feeling I'm unclear. :P
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:11:45 am by Flying Dutchman »

Offline mrwaffles

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 11:45:47 am »
Did I mention this was for my server?

For the sake of things lets call the original map, textures, and scenery folders that everyone that has soldat has. Lets call them map1, textures1, and scenery1 and the ones that you download in the zip file map2, textures2, and scenery2.

So once I save the zip file which contains the map2, textures2, and scenery2 into my soldat directory I then unzip the file. And I then have to place the FILES or the FOLDERS in the map1, textures1, and scenery1 folders?

I've tried Downloading the zip folder which contains map2, textures2, and scenery2 to not the main folder that my soldat is in but my main soldar directory is in and then I cut the files that were in tje map2, textures2, and scenery2 folders and pasted them into the map1, textures1, and scenery1 folders and that did not work. I shut down the server once I started getting a bunch of complaints since I don't want those who play on my server mad at me. =P

I don't know if anyone can make a video type thing on how to do this but that would be awesome and REALLY help =P. Like if you could use a fraps type program that could record what you're doing on your comp instead of what's in game.

BTW Dutchman I appreciate your help! (since you are the only one who is trying to help).

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 12:15:10 pm »
Ooh, now I got it I think. [retard]
What you did by cutting and placing the files in the soldat folders is alright I think. It should work that way.

Just to be sure. You have to place the downloaded files from the map2, textures2 and scenery2 folders in the map1, textures1 and scenery1 folders.
Or the map2, textures2 and scenery2 folders in your soldat folder (where the map1, textures1 and scenery1 folders are in).

But if I understand it right, the issue is not how to get the map into soldat, but they won't work on your server?
What kinda error do you or the players get or what's going wrong on the server when you play custom maps?

Offline mrwaffles

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 12:42:35 pm »
Well the problem with what I did is that some of the files from the map1, textures1, and scenery1 and map2, textures2, and scenery2 had the same name so they replaced each other. I'm sure that did not help things much.

What's wrong is that the spawn point and flag will spawn some where else that they are supposed to. Other things will also be "buggy" as some one in the server put it (was not in the server at the time but watching the console).

Another thing is that the server will say "playername" has captured the flag and then repeat that like 10 more times. When in reality they only captured or returned the flag once.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:46:23 pm by mrwaffles »

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 12:47:25 pm »
Dude just put all the files from the zip file in the main soldat directory(eg. C:\Soldat).
It will ask you to overwrite but it will actually just add those files to those folders as dutchman said.
If some sceneries get overwritten thats not a big deal cause they are the same. Also there should be no errors with the maps, I didn't quite understand what you said.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 12:57:07 pm »
Hmm yea, overwriting files shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem lies somewhere in the server instead of the way you installed the maps, which seems to be done alright.

The "symptoms" you describe look very similar to problems I've had too with my server some time ago, it even happened with the standard maps.
When I was playing in the server on the same pc I was running the server on, as soon as the next map starded it would go haywire, with people spawning inside polygons and dieing all the time, the flags being in the middle of the map.
As long as I didn't join my server though, everything was alright.

I don't know if this a common known error bug thing, but if it is, maybe others know a solution.

Offline mrwaffles

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »
I'll try what you guys said to do and let you know if I have any other problems.

"Another thing is that the server will say "playername" has captured the flag and then repeat that like 10 more times. When in reality they only captured or returned the flag once. "

With that I meant is it will show up in ARSSE. Not in the server text itself where players can see it.

If that's not the one that you meant then I was talking about how the bravo team flag AND the beavo team spawned ALL the way across the map near the alpha flag when they were supposed to be on the other side of the map.

Dutchman: I don't have soldat the game installed on the server computer just the dedicated server file. So I can't play soldat on that computer.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 03:56:34 pm »
Important warning

If you're running a server on linux, MAKE SURE that all of your folder names are lowercase.  When you extract the zip file and/or upload the files, make sure everything ends up in folders like "maps" "textures" etc, not "Maps" "Textures" etc.

Only the files in the lowercase folders will be used by the server.

Offline mrwaffles

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 02:35:29 pm »
The server is not running linux. It's windows, thanks for the tip though.

For now i've given up on running custom maps since I still can't figure it out and it keeps bugging the server.

Date Posted: May 05, 2007, 07:59:23 pm
Thanks for the help guys I finally understood what you meant and I did it. Now my server runs custom maps with out any problems!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 03:08:49 pm »
Hooray!!! :D