Author Topic: READ ME: access violations, Lobby issues, Soldat freezing [workaround]  (Read 4300 times)

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
It seems that selfkills dns is not working at the moment, basicly this means that in the process of translating the selfkill.com to a numeric ip fails.

For soldat this means that it gets an error that it doesnt know how to handle, leading to crashes and other ****..

The simplest sulotion would be to remove the selfkill.com from the lobby_servers.txt, however the best sulotion would be eighter replacing it with the numeric ip 213.202.214.144

A more complicated sulotion would be to add
213.202.214.144 selfkill.com
to the hosts file located in
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts for XP and
c:\WINDOWS\hosts for 98/SE (I think)

If either of those isn't yours, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

This should give you access to the lobby (not that it will do no good, all servers register to a non existing address..) But soldat should start working again.

Important edit by FliesLikeABrick:
The selfkill DNS changes are starting to take effect for everyone, but now their lobby server is down too.  Please just sit tight.  There is nothing you can do now but wait

use Game Monitor to find games to join for now.
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=soldat

Another edit by Lapis Lazuli:

Use Google's Cache of the lobby server to view games as well.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:q4s_wFFtw0YJ:lobby.soldat.pl:13073/+soldat+lobby+server&hl=en&lr=&strip=1
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:46:20 am by Lapis Lazuli »
----Get µTorrent here! - Torrent Tutorial----  
The sum of all fears: 01945

Offline Hoodlum

• Major(1)
  • Bug abuser
Re: access violations, Lobby issues, Soldat freezing [workaround]
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:32:13 pm »
I added that to my host and I still can't request servers. I also deleted the selfkill.com from my lobby_servers.txt and its still the same.

Offline Headless Sniper Ex

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:33:04 pm »
same thing to me sad  :(

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 02:10:57 pm »
Here's some quick info on the situation:
The selfkill server is undergoing some changes, so there might be problems with it, we have to wait.
The other lobby is down completely. I don't know what's up yet. So, please be patient and use maybe ASE for a while.

Here's the thing:

If you make any changes (modifying your hosts file, modifying lobby_servers.txt, or anything else), you should undo all of those changes a week from now.

If you don't want to make and have to undo those changes, then just wait a day or two and this problem should fix itself

Offline Headle$$

• Major(1)
Agree. Rather wait then to break my lovely soldat <3
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

By my brother Albert Einstein

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
I suspect it will be working again for most people within 12 hours, and almost everyone within 24 hours.

Selfkill is already working for me again, so I don't/didn't have to make any changes to my soldat, I just had to wait.

Offline SantaGrim

• Major(1)
Still not working for me :(

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
This is server side. The ones who have to change this are server hosts/owners. Just remove selfkill.com from lobby_servers.txt and from soldat.ini

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
The U13 site has shown one person on two separate occasions in the public CTF server. Don't know what to make of that.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
The U13 site has shown one person on two separate occasions in the public CTF server. Don't know what to make of that.

This means that they are connected to the server, and currently playing soldat. Just because the lobby server is down doesnt mean they can't join servers, I have all the U13 servs and fractured ones on my favorites and I can still connect, just barely play on them.

ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
the selfkill problem also doesn't effect some people anymore (like me) because their DNS changes are propagating.

There is now another problem.  Even though the DNS changes are taking effect, the selfkill and soldat.pl lobby servers are both down.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 05:02:08 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Headless Sniper Ex

• Major(1)
 :) i have another game but it has tanks and its netpanzer except u control as much tanks u want ima play this and try soldat every 2 hours to see if it works ::) :D

Offline Headle$$

• Major(1)
I can join games by the game monitor but i get conection problem like every 10 seconds for 5 seconds last so i play 10 seconds and 5 seconds pause then play 10 seconds and so onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. is it only for me ?
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

By my brother Albert Einstein

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
No, it's for everyone.

The only servers that are playable are  those that are not trying to register with the lobby, because the server admin has disabled it(Those of you who are running servers with public webpages with connection info, I suggest you temporarily prevent your servers from registering with the lobby[ie: rename lobby_servers.txt to lobby_servers.bak, create a new blanks lobby_servers.txt])

The only other servers that work, are those running the as of yet unreleased and not bugfixed 2.5.2 dedicated server([eC] corps 3 servers)

But whether the servers work or not, the lobby is down so most people can't connect to them anyhow.