Author Topic: BETA linux admin client port  (Read 4168 times)

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
BETA linux admin client port
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:47:21 am »
What it is: A BETA linux port of the official admin client.

Installation instructions: create a folder where you want it to reside, and extract the files into that folder. Run start.sh to launch (due to a bug of sorts in Kylix, this is how it has to be; it won't launch otherwise.)

Get it from rapidshare... I know it sucks, but the file is too large to attach to forums (forum limit is 2megs). I'll probably find a better place later, but for now this will do.

Note to FLAB: this is a slightly updated version from the one I sent you, it has a slightly better font, like you suggested.

Finally: because I'm using Kylix Free version, I'm required to make it open source under the GPL. If for some reason you want it, leave a message in this thread and I'll upload it, else I won't bother. It's virtually the same as the official admin client in terms of code.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:10:59 am by chrisgbk »

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
Re: BETA linux admin client port
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 02:46:03 am »
Get it hosted at this soldat hosting site thingy (limit is 1g :o)
http://louisex.dommox.com/PHPUpload/

I'll test it after i get my ubuntu cd's =/

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 03:43:33 am »
Per Kylix Open Edition license, you can not just any ol' open source license. You have to GPL the code.

Now, I am no legal expert, but you should probably pass it by MM if almost all the code is his. Not only that, but if you provide the binaries for download then you must also provide the sources for download as well. Basically, the sources must be just as easy to obtain as the binaries.

I'm not complaining, just informing. I understand that not everyone has the time to read the full license :P
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 04:07:06 am »
Get it hosted at this soldat hosting site thingy (limit is 1g :o)
http://louisex.dommox.com/PHPUpload/

I'll test it after i get my ubuntu cd's =/

I just tried to upload there, it returned an error and didn't work.

Per Kylix Open Edition license, you can not just any ol' open source license. You have to GPL the code.

Now, I am no legal expert, but you should probably pass it by MM if almost all the code is his. Not only that, but if you provide the binaries for download then you must also provide the sources for download as well. Basically, the sources must be just as easy to obtain as the binaries.

I'm not complaining, just informing. I understand that not everyone has the time to read the full license :P

Quote from: readme
Soldat Admin 1.2 source code by Michal Marcinkowski.
You are free to do anything with this.
Required Borland Delphi to compile and Indy version 8 or 9 (http://www.indyproject.org/).

The license MM gives on the code is much more liberal than the GPL, so I can safely release my project under the GPL without violating his license, or fear of conflict between his license and the GPL. Since there are no limitations on giving others the same rights as were granted to me under his license, I can release it under the GPL.

Regarding source code distribution: given the fact that: 1) the source for the original code this is based on is freely available, and 2) the minor changes required to allow compilation are such that any person skilled enough to use the source code would be able to carry out, I chose not to include the source BUT, as per section 3b under "TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION" of the GPL, include a written offer to transfer the source, at no more than the cost of physically transferring it to said requestee over an acceptable medium.

The only thing I have to do is make it clear that it is using the GPL, which I will do now. :) Everything else is fine by the GPL. (aside from the minor issue of not physically including the license, and not stating during runtime that the program uses such, but it is hazy as it could possibly fall under the exclusion section that states a program that does not normally issue a startup message is not required to do so.)

There is the "what-if" of someone randomly finding it and not being aware of their rights; however the only place I have posted it is here, aside from automated upload storage services, so about the only way for someone to not be aware of their rights is if someone else transferred said program to them and did not inform them of their rights; thus putting THEM in violation of the GPL. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:54:06 pm by chrisgbk »

Offline Gasten

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:01:06 am »
Cool. Ill test this right away.

What language did you use to code it?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 08:19:47 am »
this is a linux port of the original admin source code using Kylix.  The code is basically the same as the code used in the original admin client made by MM, and therefore it is Delphi.