Author Topic: The Drawing Board  (Read 26530 times)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
The Drawing Board
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:55:04 am »
In a similar style to Rambo_6's Map Scrapyard, this sticky is called "The Drawing Board," where sketches of possible maps can be posted, to help inspire more work to come, and give those with mappers'-block some ideas to toy around with. ;) Similar rules can be found here:

Code: [Select]
• Don't post other people's sketches "for" them, heh.
 • Sketches can be anything that can be a generic layout for a map, ranging from Paint pencil-scribbles to elaborate graphics with color and text.
 • Please try to abide by the artists' preferred name of map, in-game description, gamemode, atmosphere, conditions (like "use VirtualTT's vegetation scenery" or "no jets" or whatnot), etc.
 • Feel free to take any of these sketches and realize them, tweaking landscape as needed/desired (unless the author wants his map constructed in a specific way).
 • Please give credit to the concept artist if you do release a map based off of one of these sketches.
 • Completed sketches will then be crossed off here, and linked to the corresponding map.

Quick shortcuts to polygon types in sketches:

Code: [Select]
• OPC = Only Player Collides
 • OBC = Only Bullets Collide
 • DC = Doesn't Collide
 • etc.

Unfortunately I don't have any examples on me at the moment, but let's see if someone else can't get this project fired up ;) Perhaps I'll post random scribbles later on.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
Re: The Drawing Board
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:23:55 pm »
Do people actualy scrible out their maps ? It's always been a go-with-the-flow thing for me, just start putting down polys and the map makes itself. Though on a stunning coincidence I also have had a couple ideas scratching at the back of my head, I'll try this 'sketch' and see if I can't get it down on paper :).

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:28:55 pm »
I have nearly 10 map sketches carefully laid out from school, from computerless vacations, etc. A couple of the Inf. and CTF designs span two papers long. I would put them up here but I don't have a scanner. :( And I've no time nor polygonal skill to actualize them myself, heh...

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:38:53 pm »
Ctf_volcano
Ok I actually made this map years ago but it was horrid, I tried to remake with it polyworks but I am just not good at it. So I would like to throw this out there. Simple map, volcano with deadly lava(Scary) in the middle, but you can walk on the clouds(I did it pretty easy... back in the day) Don't think anyone has thought of that before. This was my first and only map I made, I would like it if someone with talent in this area make this actaully happen.
@ii

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:06:34 pm »
Keron, may I perhaps suggest using a digital camera? It works almost as well as a scanner for flat sketches. Both of my 2 scanners are crap to set up with windows, due to the fact that they rely on specific 3rd party image editors to obtain the actual scans, so I use my digital cam a lot. I have a few map drawings myself I'll upload when I find them.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:06:34 am »

not a sketch but a study on high quality buildings :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:28:59 pm by Avarax »
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:46:19 am »
@Avarax:
That building looks awesome. The shading and shadows make me think I am looking at a building in real life. :)
There are other worlds than these

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:33 pm »
I don't see the sketch =(

EDIT: I think Avarax's hosting thing might be down again, his sig disappeared too...

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 11:52:30 pm »
Some junk I quickly drew... modify it however you want, and feel free to totally call it your own:

(Only Player Collides)

Offline Krypt_

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:28:45 pm »
Here is a concept I've been busy on. You may remember me as the mapper Norse from way back in the day (about a year ago I think?) I was almost lost to WoW, so here I stand de-WoW'd (my mom says detox'd haha) and ready for some more Soldat addictiveness. Let's see here...ah yes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dm_Krypts: (no pun intended with my forum name...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Size:
Average/Medium; enough to fill 2-4/4-6 players

Player Count:
Undecided (I would prefer 2-4, 4-6 if at all possible, but hey, I'll let you decide!)

Scenery:
I could go for VTT's Sceneries, but be sure to keep them somewhat toned down to a minimum, don't go too scenery heavy on this map. Trees and bushes here and there works, but we ain't talking about a jungle map  :D If you could find torches as a scenery and possibly boxes to use as coffins (for the burial mounds in the top right corner of the map, carved into the cliff face.) Ropes or any other thick material can be used for supports that are attached to the cliff/rock faces of the map.

Setting:
Think Desert/Oasis(in terms of scenery) with a twist of Mayan/Hawaiian royalty (being buried into the cliff faces/the pyramid build into the cliff face.) Try to keep this map dark and gloomy, with as little sunlight as possible in the pyramid/burial caves to give off the death-y feel. Try to keep the shading dark and defined, nothing bright and sand-y looking. Think about a more earth-toned shade but with a consistent look of the sand you might find on a beach (confusing? I really dont know how to describe it. haha, just mess around with it!)

Extras:
-Torches should produce some light to guide the player towards them/draw them into the pyramid etc.

- Make sure that the lighter shaded parts on the drawing I have are the actual ground, the darker represents the hollowed out parts where the Soldat can walk and run, snipe from etc. Be sure to hollow out these parts to allow greater flexibility. In accordance with the tunnels...torches for light would keep the mood and have greater effect, but hanging lights work just as well!

-Background: Around or near Dusk when the sun is setting/has set, darker tones.

- Most importantly, have fun with it!

Hope you guys can mess with this. I'll get a bigger picture up soon!

Regards,
Krypt_

Edit: Attached larger image.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:54:54 pm by Krypt_ »

Expression.Freedom.Art.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 10:23:51 pm »
I reserve the making of the above map, thank you. It's too sexxy to pass up.

Offline iDante

• Veteran

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:47:50 pm »
Once I finish a few current projecys I might look into some of those inf maps, the layout seem really interesting.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 12:05:32 am »

inf_controlled

inf_oqupaque

should I keep going?

Offline TimespliTT

• Major(1)
  • Time To SpliTT
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 09:38:13 pm »
is there a way to draw the image into a soldat map maker and have the map processed from the image?

the reason i ask it is because everytime i make a map its ground is flat and i want a circler/smooth-bumpy ground!

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:25 pm »
Not in mapmaker I don't think, try Polyworks. In it you can use the sketch tool and then make your polygons on that.
If you want to just make your ground more irregular then just use more smaller polygons. This means you have to playtest for bugs though, so have fun.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 04:56:51 pm »
... everytime i make a map its ground is flat and i want a circler/smooth-bumpy ground!
Use a lot more polygons. Study htf_Dusk's polygonal layout for an example.

This was meant to be a zombie map:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:16:29 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 07:00:45 pm »
.................yes a study on high-quality something.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 11:39:46 pm »
Looks pretty nice, but this is the Drawing Board, for map layouts. If you're giving this away as an unfinished map, it should go in Rambo_6's Map Scrapyard, and you should also provide a link to the map file...

Offline Joke33

• Major(1)
  • -[SM]-Joke33[E$T]
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 07:25:07 am »
I had an idea to make a Volcano- themed map for a quite long time. I think there isn't any volcanomap yet. So one sketch- It didn't fit into one side of A4 paper, so it is halved into two and I think it will be quite blurry especially because I don't have scanner :) .
Added the pictures of the sketch. I hope you can understand the legend.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/joke33/igast/P6080005.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/joke33/igast/P6080004.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/joke33/igast/P6080003.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/joke33/igast/P6080002.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/joke33/igast/P6080001.jpg
And an overview of a old map I tried to make my idea to reality.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/joke33/igast/oldmap.png
I think it was one of my first maps. It was really buggy.
I really hope, that it would be a good idea.
As I wrote on the paper, I think it would be Inf or Tw map...