Author Topic: The Minigun  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
The Minigun
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:03:30 pm »
I miss the old minigun from 1.3.1 because the new one is still weak. The old one was weak too. But that thing could sure spray. I liked spraying and praying. Back then you atleast had  a little hope that you could kill someone with it by spraying and praying. Now you can't even pray because it doesn't even spray and its still weak and you can't kill anything with it..And people barely even use it anymore. I loved spraying and praying because whenever one person used a minigun another person would join in and help there teamates to push back the enemy and damage them so other teammates could finish them off eaily. So now since it doesn't spray don't you think we should make it a little more stronger and a little more easier to handle? Or don't you think we should bring the old minigun from 1.3.1 back? *A tear shed for the late 1.3.1 minigun  :'(*
BANNED

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
Re: The Minigun
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:10:09 pm »
I like the new minigun...has more of a purpose...not much of one but more than it used to.  Id never use it though.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:27:14 pm »
The new mingun is much more useful. All the old one was good for was hovering. I can't believe you want it back.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:22 pm »
Spraying sucks. Spraying is for unskiled newbies who can not beat enemies in clean 1v1 situations. :>

Spraying with minigun, uhh.. Reading these forums daily for few hours, I can see that some people have so slow computer that they can not run even Winamp in background and being able to play Soldat. What about lame Minigun sprayers? That is so DAMN major FPS hit for them that they can barely move their Soldat when someone is spraying with Minigun.

Well, anyhow. Minigun is meant to be a bit useless, I believe. In small DM maps like Arena2, b taking minigun you can make LOADS of kills against unaware newbies. They just think that "Hahaa, noob took minigun, what an easy kill! :)" and soon they realize they are dead.

Minigun is godlike in short ranges. ;)
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:51:14 pm »
The only spray there is is the kind in RS that you can't see. The minigun rocks if you got a team using guns, but not a team of M79s or Berets. I like the new minigun way more than classic version, just like mxyzptlk said.

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:24:20 am »

Nah, minigun gets owned by mp5 and spas in short range.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:02 am »
It doesn't outperform any of the weapons singularly, but its huge clip and push back give it uses that the MP5 and Spas just don't have.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:24:43 pm »
If it is so great in a small area, how come no one uses it? Oh yeah, because it sucks. It needs more damage so it can do anything. And I don't think it was meant to be useless, it just turned out that way because it is hard to get a gun that shoots that fast to not kill extremely fast.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline InfS

• Major
    • On Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:22:31 pm »
Well, there really isn't much of a difference between the old minigun and the new one, except that the new one is slightly improved. The feature that you miss is that bullets now decrease rapidly in damage once they have travelled further than a screen away. So it's not the old minigun you want, its the old bullet system.
A lot of cheap tricks, but no real skill.

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 08:52:22 pm »
Here is my solution to the minigun. Trust me, you do not want to increase damage or it will become broken. Even like 53-55 is too much.

[XM214 Minigun]
Damage=50
FireInterval=4
Ammo=100
ReloadTime=270
Speed=280
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=20
Bink=-12
MovementAcc=1
Recoil=0

The solution is in the startup and reload times. 50 is WAY too long, i think it needs some, but 20 feels good, it makes the minigun better at burst firing.

If you ask me, both 1.3.1 and the current version are too weak.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 10:46:21 pm »

Nah, minigun gets owned by mp5 and spas in short range.

If you time the delay right and start shooting beforehand, it'd rape a mp5 user easily, not sure about the spas though, it's one hell of a powerful weapon up close.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 04:54:41 am »
If you time the delay right and start shooting beforehand, it'd rape a mp5 user easily
No it wouldn't, not in realistic anyway. Probably the lagging factor that causes the victim to eat 75% of the bullets that makes it so weak.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 04:13:32 pm »
I think the major problem of the minigun is that it just didn't look powerful. In 1.4.2, the bullets on the autos look much better, make it look like it's firing faster than it is. That's good. It looks really powerful, because it is. Before, it didn't look powerful, and it wans't.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 11:53:54 am »
No, its not looks, its the startup time which ruins it, trust me. Ive experimented with it and if you lower the starting time, it's actually a good gun, especially at close range. The problem with it is that you need to keep your finger on the trigger which flies you around the map and binks you up. If you could burst fire with it, it is effective. Trust me. Lowering reload time also helps. Run a mod with my minigun stats. You'll notice the minigun works great (or at least better).

Bullet power is too dangerous to fool around with. Increase it even a little and it is too powerful. Trust me.

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:32 pm »
minigun is good, you just need to know how to use it, good timing (starting up) and not to long burtst (not longer then 30bullets)

i rox the minigun

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 01:39:26 pm »
The minigun is fantastic as it is, it's just lag that does it, honestly.

Try it in your own server with bots. It rocks.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 01:53:15 pm »
The minigun is fantastic as it is, it's just lag that does it, honestly.

Try it in your own server with bots. It rocks.
The reason that it rocks against bots is becuase bots are completely retarded. It really isn't lag, I usually play on servers with everyone having 16-100 ping. It pretty much just sucks. Needs to be more accurate or shoot faster or something. I agree it dealing more would break it, and that's the thing, little things you think wouldn't do very much break it becuase it fires so fast.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline extreemer

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:05:58 pm »
// Changes from 1.3.1 -> 1.4.2
// Minigun :dmg +1, bink +4
NEW
Ammo=100
ReloadTime=366
Speed=290
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=50
Bink=-6
MovementAcc=1
Recoil=0

Offline s.donahue

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 03:42:52 pm »
I agree with jbigz. Even the tiniest amount of lag affects the minigun now, because it fires in a much more concentrated pattern. If you're off even a bit, those bullets will be missing just below or above your opponent. With all the movement and mid-air fighting that goes on when fighting against other people, the minigun just can't compete, and it's a shame.

While playing around with it, I discovered just how great the minigun is at surprising players crouched behind boxes or sandbags. They think they're safe until you leap into the air and hover over them, pumping dozens of rounds into whatever's below you, which in this case is them. :D

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 04:51:04 pm »
I experimented with setting the damage to 59 and lowering the delay just a bit. It worked out surprisingly good. You guys didn't count on the fact that it pushes it's user away making it harder for him to aim. And talk about the bink. I was able to kill a minigunner with minimi in those settings, or with any other weapon except ruger and barrett. So I think I will be using it on my server so that minigun isn't a waste of weapon slots. Oh and raising the fire interval by +1 can acually make it more efficient but more balanced at the same time.