Author Topic: DM - Take Risks v1.2  (Read 6667 times)

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
DM - Take Risks v1.2
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:26:21 am »
DM - Take Risks v1.2:

Map's Story:
This place is actually the mountains that Tom Cruise climbed on the beggining of MI 2, him or his double, wathever. After the movie was proyected, the place became very famous since a Tom Cruise fan club took it as it's place for gathering. That fan club later became a whole cult, and to prevent any kind of troubles, the cult was slaughtered all along the set of mountains. Instead of cleaning up the whole mess, the government submitted the place as a DeatMatch arena.

Comments:
Finally a new map, and not an update, you may think. But this is actually a map made in the old 1.0.5b version just like the others, I just couldn't find a layout that pleased myself so I didn't released it. I was actually going to give up on it.
It's a lot different from the original map, I'm very happy with the outcome, otherwise I wouldn't release it :P. It's a little different from my other maps, but still my classic underground tunnels are back to make some havoc. The map is huge, very huge (Probably too much), desert themed with many details and sceneries.
About the sceneries created by myself, they're of free use, as long as you give me proper credit.
I'm planning on updating it soon, but I want some feedback on how it could be improved, specially the gameplay, there's where you could give me a hand testing it, I'm all ears.
The map is waypointed, poorly, but it's the best I can manage sadly =\

Update v1.1: (09/23/2007)
Well, this update was really needed. After releasing the first version I got around to the map and worked on reducing the polygon count. I managed to remove 289 polygons without modifying at all the layout, I think I should reduce at least the double of that, but for the moment is a lot. I've also corrected some texture problems, fixed a little the bot waypoints, rebalanced the entitites and improved a lot the background scenery. And all this I did a week after releasing the first version, and I forgot to release this one =\. So, hope the update pleases y'all. So long.

Update v1.2: (04/25/2009)
Well I'm kind of inspirated, so I'm making it worth. Here's another update, this one was also needed, I've read all the comments and tried to make a more pleasing version. This time I've reduced the map size some, reduced the polycount (293 less polys than v1.1), fixed all the polybugs I could find, and corrected lots of graphicall bugs. Also I've added desertic vegetation, new background clouds and sun, and improved the background mountains. I have some ideas for further improvement, but that will have to wait, for now I'm very pleased with this version and how the whole map has turned out. Enjoy!

Overview:

Screenshots:

Information:
Polygons: 2323
Scenery: 255
Spawns: 82
Colliders: 87
Waypoints: 364
Connections: 340
Dimensions: 4832x3075

Aditional Credits:
Light Scenery Pack by SERIAL KILLeR (www.skmods.tk)
Vegetation Scenery Pack & water by VirtualTT (virtualtt@gmail.com)

Download Links:
- The Mapping Showcase (ZIP)
- 4shared (RAR)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:57:05 am by RatBoy »

Offline Iandehl

• Major(1)
Re: DM - Take Risks v1.0
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:09:11 am »
Mm, let's see. It looks very nice, I love the background. I like that kind of shading too. Colour usage is great too and scenery gives it nice atmosphere. One which let me kind of bothered, is that thingie in left wall, looks like tiny gap between two walls which doesn't suit there. Also, I think there are too many light sceneries in tunnel.. take out few of them.

Hmm, polygon usage almost 3k. Isn't that little too much? I expect to get some FPS drop in that map then. No goodie. Yes, I think it's little too big, maybe you could reduce the upper half of map? At least take that slightly cheap sniping spot in upper side out  Also I hope that background isn't FPS dropper scenery. :o

Offline Krypt_

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:41:18 am »
Yea, sorta along Iandehl's lines of judgment. I see how this map could turn into a sprayfest with not so much cover being provided unless you are having land-based combat. The dramatic height of the map is what sorta seems to throw off the whole groove for me and at first glance on the overview made me feel like I was looking at a rough CTF design (without flags o' course!) The size is the only killer I think in your design. Otherwise the shading is superb! Lovely job there! Texture, and even the sceneries fit nicely but the mountainous rocky formations are by far the coolest. Now if only I'd paid attention when i saw MI:2....*snore*

Expression.Freedom.Art.

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:47:39 pm »
its a very interesting map i like.
but the tunnels are too for m79 n barrets
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline strogluns

• Major
  • Creepy Bast*rd
    • Planet Faya
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:23:59 pm »
tis good!
Maybe too mutch light in the tunnels, but this is good...

"Follow the Great Strogluns. You wont be disapointed."(Book of the Cerebral Ever-circling Shadows, Gen. 3.15)

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 01:48:51 pm »
looks really good

but i agree on the mostly barrett/m79 map, with the open space and arches..

and best storyline evar!

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 10:22:46 pm »
The polygon count is a factor that I'm worried about too. In a next version I'll be correcting that. Also, the clouds. They don't get fps drop in any of the pcs I've tested it, but It could probably make low end machines run slower, for that I ask of all of you. Would it be better if I make one big scenery with all the clouds, or if I make several bigger than the current clouds. Those are my two solutions to that matter.
The layout I'm not planning on modifying a lot, I like how it is, is intended so you play in the middle-bottom section, since above there's too few space to move.

Thanks all for your comments!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:03:09 pm »
Very nice looking map. I have downloaded it but I have yet to play it.

Edit:

Yeah, this map is pretty big. It would be nice with a big resolution... I didn't play it with bots, but I did explore it a bit. All I could say is what others have already said. Some of the caves are rather straight forward. I could reiterate more information but I won't waste my "breath."

I'd have to say that I still like it though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 08:10:21 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline ace

• Soldier
  • Known as AFX.
    • My website :3
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 03:02:45 am »
I like this map. Thumbs Up!

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 02:21:27 am »
Well, updated the map a little, give it a look ^^

Details on the main post.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
Re: DM - Take Risks v1.1
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 08:28:52 pm »
Very nice! 4/5

I am giving it a four because it is too big for a DM map.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

El_Spec

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 12:58:18 pm »
I'd say that this is probably the best map you've made yet.  The shading and texture is very nice, very eye appealing.  Good layout, without the platforms in some areas of that map, it good be a good Law_Catch map as well.

However, this map murders FPS on older systems like the one I'm using.  It crashes when I try to run it with as little as four people.  Not only this map, but your other ones have too much polygons and scenery.  Try to cut the count in half and it'll be at least playable.  I'm only able to play it on my school computer.  It would be nice if I could play it off-line with bots.  Without the problems of it having so much details and polygon count, this is probably one of the best deathmatch maps I've seen on this forum in a while.

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 04:17:13 am »
I'm already working on fixing the many problems of the map, specially the polygon count issue, I won't stop until 2k at least :P.

Thanks for the comments ^^

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
Re: DM - Take Risks v1.2
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 01:03:36 am »
Updating mayhem everyone! Risks is also renewed, check the main post for details.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 01:08:01 am »
I like shading, texture, the stretching, the background and the layout, but it is really huge for a deathmatchmap ... maybe for this zombiesurvivals or the boogiemanservers (then as little ctf), but you would need at least 20 players :o

Offline Dragstie

• Camper
  • Soldat mapper
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 04:28:54 am »
finally a huge and cool dm map for many players:)

i really like the variation of tunnels and open space [pigtail]

but i agree with the others about the lights

gj

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:51:50 am »
Made smaller?  Good good.  v1.1 was irritating for it's lack of visibility from area to area simply because of the immense size/space.

Update v1.2: (04/25/2009)
Well I'm kind of inspirated

Inspired..?

edit: Oh [headsmack], sorry.. I just haven't had any notion that might've said otherwise :-X
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:29:54 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 07:24:51 pm »
Yeah, that, english is not my language, I think I'm allowed to have that kind of mistakes ^^

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 05:15:05 pm »
Awesome dm map, finally we also have some more big dm maps! Ones were people can explore when theres more players.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!