Author Topic: ctf_Blacknwhite  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
ctf_Blacknwhite
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:52:39 am »
ctf_Blacknwhite

By Suowarrior
Hi dear mappers, I've been working with this one for while, and I'm really happy having it's done. At first I say a few words about  layout. The main goals doing this map were: To bring something new for gameplay, spray free, smoothly moving, and of course have a great gameplay otherwise too. I always try to bring something new into gameplay. The unique thing is showed in screen 2. The player can throw flag through the "only player collides poly", I guess no one has used that option the way I do now (of course I might be wrong). Well that's enough about that. About the look: I'm pretty sure it's the first Black and White themed map. Hopely it doesn't look boring :).

The map is waypointed

Screenshots:

There are two ways to download map:
Server: soldat://apostate.kicks-ass.net:33373 (It is hosted by selfkill and it's only map running out there)
Download by link: http://tms.jrgp.org/?act=download&map=484&sa=file
Hope you like it :)

This Map Is Hosted By The Mapping Showcase[/center]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:10:20 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Duck Boi

• Soldier
  • ('')('_')('')
Re: ctf_Blacknwhite
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:18:36 pm »
It's a nice map
But I think it's missing scenary, looks empty.
And to much lighting in places
apart from that a 8/10

El_Spec

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:20:17 pm »
The maps seems too empty, everything is gray and it looks boring.  However, the lighting effects and shading job is great.  Nice work on that. ;)  Also the mapping technique here looks very similar to one that Demonic would make.  Game-play is quite good, many pathes and doesn't get boring too quickly.  What I suggest is to find polygon bugs and fix them, if any exist and try to change the visuals a little, it just looks too dull.  And change the name while you're at it, once the theme has been changed, a name such as the one it already has won't be necessary.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:46:27 pm »
Congrats you caught my eye and got me to dl this map... that hardly ever happens. I have to say I was happy I did.  I got to say keep going how you are and you will have my heart  [pigtail] Don't worry yourself with scenery, shading or anything like that. Soldats defaults focus on gameplay and your map has great gameplay. Most of the mappers now loose sight of gameplay and focus on making maps look pretty. Resulting in alot of polybugs and slow moving maps. Please keep making maps like this.
@ii

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:50:13 pm »
It dont matter if you black or white~!

It is a wonderful map  i love the lighting gives the map a glowing effect. The game play is really good.
With the sceneries El_Spec and Duck boi are saying there are missing sceneries and its too empty.. although i cant-
really think of much sceneries to fit his  theme..maybe i box >_>

Overall nice map 8/10

*high five*

El_Spec

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:18:59 pm »
After looking carefully in PolyWorks, I noticed scenery.  Its the same color as everything else and it is hard to notice.  Since there is plenty of scenery in this map, I like it.  Now just change the name and I'll be happy. 

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:04:36 pm »
Now just change the name and I'll be happy. 
Its his damn map, maybe you should just let him make the map how he wants.
@ii

El_Spec

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:33:06 pm »
Its a horrible name for a map and no one was talking to you, so fuck off.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:46:49 pm »
Collider placement is a bit random and sloppy, and the stat gun in the bottom floats in mid-air so it's unusable.  Don't put all the bonuses in the same spot; scatter them around.

As for the map name, I suggest you change it to ctf_Silence since it's all gray and... cheerless.

EDIT: For all that black void space, I suggest you use blank.bmp sceneries instead of polygons to keep the polycount low.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:20:07 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 09:09:13 pm »
Pros/Cons list for old times sake :D

Pros:
+Nice Layout, with good fluid paths. :)
+Nice Scenery, shading, and multi-texturing :)
+Avoids polybugs. :)
+Good use of only players collide wall.:)

Cons:
-Colliders are very random. :(
-Pits in front of the flags are strange. :(
-Bonus Spawns are too clumped. :(
-Way too many polygons. *

*This is for two reasons, First, you should simply use large black blank.bmp's for the outer scenery (this would cut out about 50 poly's). And, you made all the colliding polys, then made all off the Multi-texture. This nearly doubles the poly-count, and really should be fixed to make this a more serious map. The technique you used should only be used on small maps where the poly count is small enough that it won't be very serious.

Anyway, pretty nice job for a relatively new mapper.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 04:50:11 am »
I just can't help it, those pits amaze me... they give the map a certain uniqueness (along with the visuals, but layout > visiuals)
Since it seems waypointed, I'll give it a try on the Hexer servers.
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:16:13 am »
After looking carefully in PolyWorks, I noticed scenery. Its the same color as everything else and it is hard to notice. Since there is plenty of scenery in this map, I like it. Now just change the name and I'll be happy.
Yeah, that's one reason why I used less scenery, more scenery could ruin the gameplay (players don't know where are the polys and where scenery) except lights which looks there better than in coloured maps (in my opinion). In fact at the beginning I planned to place lights at the center only, but then it seemed that gray bg was so boring so the map needed more lights.

Collider placement is a bit random and sloppy, and the stat gun in the bottom floats in mid-air so it's unusable.  Don't put all the bonuses in the same spot; scatter them around.

EDIT: For all that black void space, I suggest you use blank.bmp sceneries instead of polygons to keep the polycount low.
I must pardon that I did kinda easy solution with "bonus spawns". I really don't play with them so I kinda thought that it's the same how I set them. Hmm u r right the blank bmp is a lot lighter solution to do black bg.
Cons:
-Colliders are very random. :(
-Pits in front of the flags are strange. :(
-Way too many polygons. *
Anyway, pretty nice job for a relatively new mapper.
Hmm I really don't know how colliders are not random :S. I try to set them by boosting and shelter method (maybe I should think about them more as a shelter).

The pit is there cos of gameplay. It makes a lot easier to attack in bottom way to flag. Because defenders' grenades don't explode in the main bottom way, they explodes in the pit.

I think the number of polygons aren't so big issue cos the fps seems to be normal there (I dunno if there are other bad things that large number polys do, of course I try to do a map as minimal polys as it is possible). It's just that I needed large number polys cos of multitexturing (without it map looked very boring), and multitexturing affects polybugs which ruins gameplay :P, that's why multitextured polys are "don't collide" and the real ground (polybug fixed) is behind them. The other solution could have been to forget black and white theme and make map look normal. And Im not a new mapper this is about 8th of my mine :).

Ty about all the comments :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:27:16 am by Suowarrior »

Offline strogluns

• Major
  • Creepy Bast*rd
    • Planet Faya
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:55 am »
This map is not very colorfull ...

Sorry about that (I won't do it again...)

"Follow the Great Strogluns. You wont be disapointed."(Book of the Cerebral Ever-circling Shadows, Gen. 3.15)

Offline Dr. Zombi3

• Soldier
  • Happy Almost Halloween :)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 01:11:45 am »
This map is not very colorfull ...

Sorry about that (I won't do it again...)
lol... look at the title of the map

------------------------------------

the map looks pretty good, it can be a zombie map easily
3 warnings then did naughty thing. Now Banned.

Offline BlueBerry Pie

• Major
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 10:33:30 am »
I love the lighting effects, they're perfect.  Layout is good and it has plenty of pathes to capture the enemy flag, but not to much to make it easy.  For the rest of everything else, take Wraithlike and Eagles_Arrows advice to improve it.  I see a lot of things that need improvement that they pointed out.
BlueBerry Pie was here.