Author Topic: Tactical Trenchwars Teamwork  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Dizzy So 1337

• Soldier
Tactical Trenchwars Teamwork
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:44:51 am »
Here is some quick advice for people starting Tactical Trenchwars. http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=21293.0 for more information if you completely do not know what I am even talking about.  This does not pretend to be a comprehensive guide.  I'll start with some overall advice, then get into some specific class-related advice.  Also, I won't be getting into real particulars re: each Job and how the overall system works, I'm mostly going to go into the TEAMWORK aspects of TTW here, which are the HEART of TTW and also the thing that most TTW newbies seem to get stuck on (and hey, to be honest, we're all newbies here when it comes to TTW).  And no apologies given to anyone that doesn't like to read, because TTW tactics go pretty freakin deep...

Overall Notes:
 - Do NOT become demoralized just because your team is getting absolutely OWNED.  TTW can suddenly become much like an INF game with one team on the offense and one team on defense.  A simple application of the correct tactics (some of which I will explain below) can easily snatch victory from seeming defeat and put the shoe on the other foot. I have seen this time and time again in Tactical Trenchwars. What you must understand is how to contribute to your team's Offense, how to contribute to your team's Defense, and most of all how to convert your team from Defense to Offense when the opportunity arises.

- Try to avoid letting your team 'overspecialize'.  Spy, Engineer, Saboteur, Radioman, General, Medic... these Jobs have 'neato' abilities, and ppl if you are new to TTW you are REALLY gonna wanna check these out.  Still, please remember... if your team doesn't have some Combat Jobs in it, you are gonna get sweeped pretty quick.  You ARE still gonna need some Combat Jobbers ie Shorts, Longs, Artillery and Elites to get the job done, kids.

- Many of the Jobs work best in combination, and the Specialized Jobs work best in certain situations.  Just because you love being a General or a Saboteur, doesn't mean that that is what your team Needs at the moment.  Upon first joining a TTW game, first thing you should do is probably grab a Combat Job.  Just at least long enough to find out what the hell is going on and what your team's situation is.

- Once you've assessed the current situation, use /list to find out what your team has.  After you've done this, you can appropriately pick the Job that is what your team needs. 

- An Enemy-Conquered Bunker is powerful against your team.  An Enemy-Conquered Bunker with a Stat Gun in place is EVEN more powerful.  This is the worst case scenario and you need to work together to make it Not Happen in the first place.  In the case that it does happen, I HIGHLY recommend that you focus on taking out the Stat FIRST and re-conquering the bunker SECOND.  There is an exception to this rule, but we will not discuss this in this noob guide.

- Taking out a Stat.  There are many ways to do this all require teamwork in TTW.  If your team is getting pwned by a well-placed Stat you MUST work together!  Longs and Elites and Artillery should be 100% focused on neutralizing/pinning a Stat.  This permits your Shorts and Sabs and Generals to get up there and permanently get rid of it.

- Taking down a Bunker.  Here again, teamwork!  If theres no Enemy Stat to worry about then Longs and Elites and Artillery need to cover the approach.  A General is needed to Conquer that bunker and you want to give him a good clean approach if possible.  Meanwhile, a General's real best friends are his Shorts, 2 if possible.  Shorts are bunkerbusting spawnkilling fecktards that can buy the General the time necessary to conquer.

- You only need so much longrange cover.  An Engineer-placed Stat, an Elite, or a Long.... all are useful but you don't need All of them!  Having all three of these in place would be another case of overspecialization by your team... you are pretty much just competing with each other for kills and staving off the inevitable, which will be a Spy or Sabo or well coordinated Shorts attack.  Elites and Longs, if your Engineer has gotten his Stat in place, you should pack up your gear and move forward, or grab another Job.

- GETTING PASSED - If your Conquered Bunker gets passed or if your flag is captured behind your Conquered Bunker!  Usually only one person is needed to turn back and hunt down the offender.  Send only 1 person back to handle this situation, but of course, watch his status carefully.  If his minimap blip goes black then you need to assume that he failed in his mission and start watching your backs...

- PASSING - Conversely, should you mange to Pass a Bunker unnoticed, you are in a strange position.  Unlike regular TW, you are completely cut off from support.  There IS an enemy bunker between you and your teammates.  Sure, you could grab the flag and head back, but you will be ON YOUR OWN and relying on your teammates to PWN that bunker from the opposite side, somehow, at roughly the same time that you are running back through with the flag.  Or counting on the Enemy to not have noticed your grab, in which case you might get some cheap backstabbing opportunites.  Or some combination of the two, which is most likely the case in my capping experience so far.  Timing will be key, but hey, timing has always been key in TW.

- Medics and Radiomen.  Overall, Medics support the backend (healing defenders and longrangers) while Radiomen support the frontend (supplying offensive-minded supplies and calling in airstrikes under which the assaulters may safely advance).  In my opinion, only Engineers, Medics and Radiomen should ever man Stat Guns.  Engineers, because they will be in place to move the Stat forward if necessary, Medics and Radiomen because it gives them something to do while waiting for their skills to become useful.

Specific Job Notes:
Short - You are the General's best friend when it comes to Conquering Bunkers.  He needs you in there to spawnkill and buy him the time he needs.  VERY FEW BUNKERS ARE CONQUERED without the help of 1 or more Shorts.

Long/Elite/Artillery - We need  you guys covering those approaches and pinning Enemy Stats.  Pinning Enemy Stats should always be your #1 concern when Enemy Stats are in place.  In the case of No Enemy Stat your usefulness is sharply reduced, and you should focus on covering the approach of the Shorts and General. 

General - once you've conquered the last bunker, your work is done!  Switch to another job IMMEDIATELY.  In fact, I highly recommend that Generals switch Jobs immediately upon conquering any bunker; you could put your time to much better use holding the bunker you just conquered as something else.  Once the   Generals are useless once the last bunker is conquered.  In some maps like Gloryhill, the middle bunker is the 'last bunker'.  Shorts are your best allies when it comes to Conquering.  A Radioman that can drop you a vest is your second-best friend.

Engineer - Learn the good places to put your Stats.  Some positions, the Stats will malfunction and drop wrong and be useless.  If you feckitup, then go back and try /get to unfeck it.  If you can't, then try Jobbing Saboteur to destroy your own work.  If you lose a Stat behind enemy lines, you can't do anything about it.  The Engineer position will become useless until you, or a friendly or enemy Saboteur, destroys the 'lost' stat.  Therefore, consider this possibility in advance when placing your Stat.  Further notes for Engineers, you should man your own Stat Gun and not let anyone else do it except maybe for a Medic or a Radioman.  Stay with your Stat, so you can easily /get it and move it up when necessary.

Saboteurs - The ultimate Specialty Job; is only necessary when facing an Enemy Stat.  No Enemy Stat = no work for you.

Radioman - call those Airstrikes carefully please!  Calling in Airstrike just cuz you can is a good way to get your whole team killed.  A good well-timed Airsrtike (ie just before the Shorts and General head out to Conquer) can be a tremendous advantage for your team, but also don't discount the usefulness of handing the General a Vest!!!  Also, Radiomen are one of the few Jobs that I trust to run a Stat for me if I was the Engineer that placed it, since you are waiting for your Abilities to kick in.

Medics and Spies - I have no specific notes on these Jobs.

Well... I hope my essay on TTW teamwork helps some of you enjoy this beautiful take on classic Soldat.  As its only been a week into it, nobody will (I hope) blame me if some of my advice is rendered completely useless or wrong a week from now :) due to further scripting updates or newer and more advanced tactics employed by other, more creative TTW players.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:01:31 am by Dizzy So 1337 »
xfire - todhostetler
"There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone except to stick a dogskull on a stake."

Offline ironplug

• Major(1)
Re: Tactical Trenchwars Teamwork
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:47:30 am »
nice.Teamwork

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:22:38 am »
nice guide. Some tips from my side!

Radioman - Don't  forget to listen the other team's with the radioman by using /tap!

Medic - Try to stay BEHIND the other soldier your healing!

Short - Consider using a knive. These can be very very deadly!

Long - Ruger for headshots ;)

Saboteur - Don't rig enemy statguns that are in your field! use them against the enemy. They need to come all the way with their engineer to get it again!

General - Try to hide when you need to wait those damn 7 seconds!

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:54:00 am »
This server is amazing, it's being be always full  :-\ So i can't join in  :'(

But well this guide provides very nice information and tricks to break the enemy's defenses and win, if there is any kind of teamwork  ;D

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:13:09 pm »
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline Onyx

• Soldier
  • everybody gets one
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:50:21 pm »
wow, the best server I have ever played

this was the game I needed to get back into soldat

I would have like to see artillary using the M79 to shoot a cluster nade
that seems more like a mortar fire to me

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:38 pm »
thnx for the reply however this cannot be done :/

Offline Onyx

• Soldier
  • everybody gets one
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 08:05:49 pm »
damn, is it balance purposes?

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:09:36 pm »
No, when you use that bullettype for that weapon it doesn't do any damage. We've tried it before in our previous script. Dunno why though.

Glad you enjoy the script btw :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:11:56 pm by sai`ke »

Offline Onyx

• Soldier
  • everybody gets one
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:45:11 am »
hmmm ok thats wierd,

I have another suggestion though, how about a support calss, uses minigun, just tone dont the recoil on the minigun to allow it to not be useless (heck maybe even removing the recoil it would be balance)

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:51:28 am »
^ you would be better off suggesting these things in the thread in the adverts forum. please stick to tactical discussion here ^_^

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 12:06:41 pm »
Tactical TW is a lot of fun, though not when your team is a bunch of fools. Once I had to rig our own stat gun so they help me attack :\

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:21:25 pm »
Heh. I had a team full of noobs too, i was general, someone else was a spy and he kept telling me to give him general. and someone else was screaming at the spy 'GIVE ME SPY'.. we never conquered the first bunker i think ^_^

Offline gedazz

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 01:26:49 pm »
Medic - Try to stay BEHIND the other soldier your healing!
It'd be good if the soldier I'm healing wouldn't fecking move! >:(
I really enjoy being medic, but it sucks when there is nobody I can heal, everyone except campers move too much.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 08:24:26 pm »
Healing range has been increased slightly in the last update. :)
Also, if you don't move you auto heal as medic, which is a very nice thing to know.

Date Posted: October 25, 2007, 05:49:48 pm
Also dizzy, neat post! So true those points.

Another good tactic that works sometimes is trying to get your general _past_ enemy lines and conquer the bunker behind them! This is why you should always be weary of someone with an ak slipping through

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 08:37:57 pm »
1 sprayer + 1 sniper both well placed can hold off an army of idiots.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 07:21:05 am »
Tactical Trenchwar Forum At:

http://tacticaltrenchwar.freeforums.org/

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 07:16:24 pm »
yea, from an admins point of view it's funny to see how a team suddenly begins to suck if someone with an important task doesn't know what to do.

Offline Kev015

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 06:53:09 pm »
yea, from an admins point of view it's funny to see how a team suddenly begins to suck if someone with an important task doesn't know what to do.

First hand experience here. Lost my stat gun to the enemy, screwed us all...
In fact I'm going to write a guide for engineers....

Engineers
Quick Overview: In my opinion, this is the one of the most, if not most, important jobs in TTW. If two armies had the same army roles except one had +Engineer, the one with the engineer has a highly increased chance of winning. However, if you lose your stat gun to the enemy relatively close to the enemy, you and your team are SCREWED.

Job:
What do you do? Build stationary guns. What else? Move them. Anything else? Use stationary guns. What are your weapon options? One lone pair of Double Eagles and a secondary pistol. That's it? Yes. Wow, engineers suck. NO

Stationary guns are VITAL to the battle, and are more lethal when THEY CAN BE MOVED by Engineers. One stationary gun could wipe out some advancing soldiers before they can do any major harm. The soldiers can spray, one or two bullets may hit you and your teammates, but they will be WIPED OUT quickly, leaving your army the ability to push the front to the bunkers. It should be fairly obvious what the bunkers can do, but I'll reiterate for the sake of people who haven't played TTW yet. Bunkers are spawn points should you conquer them, and the speed of soldiers reaching the front is VERY important.

Don’ts
Do not ever, EVER, lose your stationary gun  to the enemy, EVER. Why not? A) The enemy can use the stationary gun against you, plus THEIR stationary gun. 1+1=2. (2 stationary guns) = SCREWED B) Since you lost your stationary gun, and it is in the enemy’s hands and lines, you are most most unlikely to retrieve your stationary gun. So, since your team already has a stationary gun placed which is behind enemy lines, it means that, oh, Look Ma! No Stat Gun! Let’s add this to the equation:
(Enemy stationary gun) + (Your stationary gun being used by enemy) + (No stationary gun can be used) = WORST NIGHTMARE (If you’re proud being straight, and are all against homosexuals, imagine if you were being raped by fags(slang term for homosexuals). If you’re homosexual, by the opposite sex then, or that AIDS originated from you. If you’re bisexual, I don’t know, but it’s all your fault that AIDS is a major problem, maybe that can be a burden on your shoulders, I don’t know…) The point is, you’re OH SHI- screwed.

Story Time! My team was advancing far and doing pretty well. I managed to place a stationary gun pretty far. An enemy soldier came up, I clicked, and he died. More enemies came up, and died. Then, someone kamikaze’d me, but by then, my team had moved up as well. I respawned, and manned the stat gun again. A spy came up, but he pred’d while he was approaching, and I wasn’t blind. Click. Kill. But then came the sniper. I saw him approaching, and before he could get in position, I clicked. This happened one more time. But as I was trying to hold off the attempting-kamikazes, the little sniper got in position, and freaking shot me. When I came respawned, my team didn’t fare so well without me so close the enemy spawn point with a sniper included. They took over the stat gun, and since engineers don’t have that great weapons, I was unable to retrieve it back. Then we started getting slaughters and lost bunkers. I repeatedly rushed pray that I’d pass. On the 16th try, I succeeded, but the sniper was on to me. I ran, and I got to the turret WAY behind the front, and managed to /get before the little sniper could kill me. But a whole 20 minutes and two bunkers had been wasted between losing the turret and reclaiming it. Also 2 flag captures. We died. A lot. This shows the importance of engineers and their stationary guns. Admittingly, I fecked up, a lot.

To be continued

By hereby reading this Sai’ke, you have hereby agreed to remove my IP, 76.104.29.6, from the banned list within the next five minutes because it was a stat gun glitch and I got BE kicked.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 07:48:48 pm »
There's nobody with statgun cheat kick in the banned list right now! :o

Glad you had fun! :D
And yes, you are right, losing the stat is really fecked. It's easier to get a saboteur past enemy lines to reclaim it than to go with an engineer. The saboteur doesn't need to wait the 3 seconds.

Also, when spray is low, it's very effective to get a spy to rig the enemy bunker. Only when spray is low though, with high levels of spray, the spy is easily discovered. I've also seen people rig their own base right before being overrun, and blow it up before the general can conquer it. That was a brilliant move at the time preventing us from getting the bunker.