Author Topic: INF_Glisten  (Read 2297 times)

Offline KamikazeDuck

• Camper
INF_Glisten
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

This map was created for The Mapping Showcase's "Default Themed" Contest.

It has a default-style polygon structure so it took a  long time to shade. It also has some alpha transparency effects which make it look like more of a combination of default and the newer style of mapping.

I also used Suowarrior's idea with the only player collides polygons for throwing the flag through which he used on his map, ctf_Blacknwhite. I added this in to the right of the black flag's spawn to make it harder for alpha.

Alpha spawns at the top of the map and must slide down to infiltrate two Bravo bases.

Slide your way to victory!

DOWNLOAD
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:21:24 pm by KamikazeDuck »
JUNGLE | ART | PIRATE | RADIATION | DESERT | UFO

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: INF_Glisten
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:39:16 am »
Looks pretty neat, excellent shading, mate. Great concept, 'cept I think Alpha's got it way too easy, even with the flagsliding thing and all.

Looks great though.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:42:06 am »
Default polygon structure, yet it still looks new-age.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

El_Spec

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:08:13 pm »
I don't like the idea that you've to slide down to get the objective.  It doesn't seem like an infiltration map, but more like racing.  Shading and polygon work is great and is well done.  I don't know how game-play would be though.  Everything is great expect for what I pointed out above.  Still a great map.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
It's too unconventional I think.

If the shafts could somehow be modified to prevent 'nade-spamming, this would be excellent with the bases flipped.
(Judging from the screenshots it seems that alpha spawns on the north side, which would make this wayyyyyy too easy :\)

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 04:18:16 am »
This map is simply awesome. You've followed the contest's rules but yet made a map that looks really unique. I feel like I've been completely owned =\

Great job dude.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 09:03:28 am »
HOLY CRUD, yes, thge shading looks awsome. I actually like the ont the top the low route which goes out the map and then back in.
Text goes here...

Offline KamikazeDuck

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 06:58:22 am »
Thanks for the comments and criticism.  :)

From my testing, there didn't seem to be a huge problem with grenades being spammed down the shafts. The only shaft that can get spammed a bit is the one just above the lower Bravo base. That shaft isn't used very often though because it doesn't lead to the flag and is mainly for players wanting to give support to the others capturing.

Alpha does have an advantage. It's slightly more balanced when playing against others rather than bots though. The map's layout made it difficult to waypoint and (from what I can tell) impossible to keep bravo defending from the front of the lower base with the stationary gun. This is because Bravo ignores any camping commands when the black flag is stolen and runs for the white flag.

After the contest is over I might be able to make another version of this map using the suggestions you've all given.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 11:59:30 pm »
... The map's layout made it... impossible to keep bravo defending from the front of the lower base with the stationary gun. This is because Bravo ignores any camping commands when the black flag is stolen and runs for the white flag.
They don't need camping functions to man a SG. Bots have a random chance of stopping to man a SG whenever they pass over one regardless of waypoints. Just have them run over it and eventually one will camp, even if flags are astray (I don't remember but I at least know that a bot currently manning a SG will NEVER get off unless pushed somehow, or if a grenade falls nearby, I think... but definitely not because a flag is loose).

Offline KamikazeDuck

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 12:26:01 am »
I never knew bots actually ignored that a flag was stolen when on a stationary gun, thanks.

That gives me an idea now of putting a second stat gun on the level underneath the current one... that would probably sort out the current balance issues. The problem was more keeping a group of bots camping there, not only one on the stat gun but on the level beneath as well. Maybe if there were a few stationary guns, I could get enough bots guarding that tunnel leading to the lower base to put up a strong fight.

That might swing the advantage in Bravo's direction though. I'll have to see. Either way, it looks like I'll be making a second version to fix any issues.

Offline Underworld

• Camper
  • Mapper
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 05:56:56 pm »
the gameplay looks so sexyh on this map
I don't understand
do you mean that there is a /faceplam commmand ?
and this command should drop a random item ?

Offline BlueBerry Pie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 10:21:45 am »
Interesting concept and layout.  Game-play would be fun but without some of the problems of the grenade nerfing.  I'll have to try it out to be sure.
BlueBerry Pie was here.

Offline ANdro!d

• Camper
  • My ingame name is: t0XsiCk SprAyER
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »
The thing that I best like in this map it's the difficulty, because when you're defending you've got always to keep an eye on verything that moves and the enemys come from almost everywhere.
Check the fucking rules on sigs.

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 06:06:36 am »
Looks pretty neat, excellent shading, mate. Great concept, 'cept I think Alpha's got it way too easy, even with the flagsliding thing and all.

Looks great though.
i agree....but its great.....you've done well..

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline Ivel

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »
marvolous! Kamikaze duck, I like the defaultish texture

Proud Staff Member of U13 and EnEsCe Corp.
|____________________________________________|