Author Topic: Server  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Grim

• Major
  • Boop-boop-de-boop
Server
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:34:40 pm »
OK, if I have full FTP acces to a site, is there any way I can run a sever from that site?

Sorry, just realized that I put this in the wrong place. :-[
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:04:09 pm by Grim »

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Server
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:22:29 pm »
no worries, moved.

To answer your question: no, FTP only access is not enough.  If you have the ability to run php scripts, then you can run a soldat server...

... but I do not reccomend doing this for a couple reasons
1) many webhosts will ban you from their server for doing this
2) the server will likely run really, really badly: ping/lag spikes and other performance issues.  This is because the box you're on is likely a dedicated webserver, and as such it is prone to high loads from pages being processed.

In other words, it may be possible but you do so at your own risk and we do not reccomend it at all.  In order to do so, you need to know bits of php or have a php control panel that'll work on their server.

I don't think it is worth the effort.  If you want a server that badly, just rent one or play on pubs.

Offline Grim

• Major
  • Boop-boop-de-boop
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:30:51 pm »
Mkay, thanks for the tip.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:52:46 pm »
If you have the ability to run php scripts, then you can run a soldat server...

eeeeh, i don't think it's as simple as that, most servers do have shell execution php commands disabled. if you can perform those you probably have SSH access also.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 10:06:18 pm »
If you have the ability to run php scripts, then you can run a soldat server...

eeeeh, i don't think it's as simple as that, most servers do have shell execution php commands disabled. if you can perform those you probably have SSH access also.

I was merely making some generalizations to answer his question