Author Topic: Newest work  (Read 1352 times)

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
Newest work
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:40:28 pm »
Here is a sneak preview of my newest work in progress, im not 100% on the name yet but im leaning towards ctf_cliffbanger, unless i learn some better word from the trusty thesaurus.

Key features

-Base where teams spawn at, has hurt polys outside of it (barbed wire) so no one can camp directly outside the base.
-Cliffs, underground base, top bridge... all places to take cover and hide, making the mid part a big ass battle ground.

The map is almost complete, i havent decided if im going to waypoint it or have someone do it for me (if someone is willing to do it, pm me or post).

Feel free to give some idea's or suggestions (to suowarrior: its polybug free ;) )

Pictures
Overview | Overview v2
--------
Mid shot
--------
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:25:32 pm by KorrupT MerC »

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
Re: Newest work
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »
well, its better than my wip map...... what texture did u use?
Holy Poop!

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:46:01 pm »
ut_ground3

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:59:52 pm »
Wow MerC, You sure are dishing out some incredible ctf maps! Right now the map looks a little cluttered, with very little room for a soldat to run around in, so here is my solution,

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:37 pm »
Well, the map isnt cluttered, you'll find that out when/if you play it when its released. Its somewhere between a medium and large sized map, also having the little caves through the cliffs/mountains, whatever you want to call them, for those who like to use close range weapons.

The roof i have taken care of, you cannot reach it in any possible way by using jumping/jets, only if you boost yourself with an explosion, but i thought of that as well, so i added some nice death polys on top of the roof, so if you do get out, you wont have a happy landing. I wanted a nice open top map because it looks better, IMO.

As for colliders on the vines, im not too worried about spraying up top, its almost meant for that, you cannot spray into the bases from there, so a spray fest may happen, but its concealed there.
Also im not sure if i'd want to make the hanging sector to look more old and worn out since the rest of the map looks new and fresh.

As for that 'point' to the trench, the trench follows suit for the rest of the map, maybe you cant see it, but the cliffs have rooms where you camp and shoot out. It makes the map more interesting i think, as people who like to play defensively are able to and people who like to play offensively also can. It gives more to do than just 'run and shoot' and the layout satisfies me.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:00 am »
Background ends too straight. I agree with "Think to urself" changes.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:19:56 pm »
You're improving a lot, but my main beef with your maps is the over-complication. Works like this would only be fun 5v5 and up, which works for Leo's public server, but if you're aiming for default quality, you need to simplify them and make them smaller. If you really want to do something groundbreaking, experiment with unused features, like more regeneration / ice polygons, or areas which favour flag throwing, maybe twisting routes and so on.

Otherwise, I'm glad to see another decent mapper on the board who doesn't just pump out kz/other maps.

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:50 pm »
Here is an updated version, still not waypointed but i'm hoping someone will want to waypoint it for me, if not i'll have to rough it out best i can.

Overview v2

Updates:

-Attempted to improve shading looks
-Gave the cliff/mountain backgrounds a more rugged look
-Regenerating polygon in bottom trench
-Couple other small fixes

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:18:52 pm »
The mountain's new background looks a little odd, maybe something less reddish?

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »
The reason for that is i had to give it less opacity, as i am not good with making/editing sceneries so i have to compromise as best i can. I guess i could lighten it up as its a dark brown right now.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:04:32 am »
I must say, I liked the original shading and mountain background color much better, although they were only minor changes. Meh. Yeah.

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:00:42 pm »
 :o I want this for my server