1 (11.1%)
Good, but Unoriginal
2 (22.2%)
Don't like it
2 (22.2%)
Crap
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: My take on mario  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Nefastus

• Major(1)
  • Yeeeeesssss
My take on mario
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
My take on Mario Bros 1-1!  :)

How should I waypoint this?
All bots moving towards the goal or running all over the level?

HOLY CRAP SCREENSHOTS!!!!!
You can hide behind the hills and bushes.
And yes, its meant to look blocky.

Edit: Oops! Forgot the file!!!

Edit2: No need for 6 screenshots, too little detail.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:02:53 pm by Nefastus »
Yo!

Offline Cookiegangsta

• Soldier
  • I am the Best!
Re: My take on mario
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:24:47 pm »
Someone already made this....

http://sml.u13.net/index.php?p=mapinfo&id=36

I like the blocks though...
~no animaged sigs - Geo~

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:55:47 am »
Why did you put 6 large screenshots on one page? :o It's very inconvenient for people with slower internet.

I don't really like it. It doesn't look very full, and when I picture Mario 1-1, this isn't really anywhere near what I picture. This looks like what a vague dream might seem like. You ought to at least make the splodey bricks a little more brick-like. Also, add more to the bottom.

You can shade the green pipes better than that ;). Currently, they looked like groomed bushes. And the background hills deserve a little more justice. They weren't triangular, and had little white dots on 'em. Also, there were blue hills too at odd intervals.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:40:28 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Nefastus

• Major(1)
  • Yeeeeesssss
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:35:52 pm »
My apologies for the large pictures, I realize now I didn't need to due to the LACK OF DETAIL.

Also, this is my first map so I was expecting it to be shot down.

I found a cool Mario picture I think I'll redo the map around once I get some more practice in with Poly.

And yes, I know it's huge, but someone might want it for a wallpaper.

Yo!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:33 am »
You call that getting shot down? :o

There have been many worse comments made on maps better than yours. Do not complain, nor fire back in defense (actually, I wouldn't call your comment a fire-back, but twas a small complaint). I never said your map completely sucked or any of that jargon, I was only attempting to offer slightly decent advice.

For a first map, that isn't too bad. Also, don't expect very much out of a first map, unless your some prodigal child that can work Soldat map-making miracles on your first attempt (or have had previous experience). I guess I mean prodigal in the antonym sense, although it wasn't at all implied. //offtopic// Yeah, I just watched some British film and am now somewhat wordy-like//offtopic//
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:53:46 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:21:41 am »
The Mario theme has been beaten to death, including by myself. The problem is that the game's levels really don't make for a good Soldat map. I only made my version after seeing Mat-na's amazing teleporters in her ctf_Warp map, and it was the first thing I thought of to apply them.

Note that "Doesn't Collide" polygons will obscure a player, turning your polygon bushes and hills here into a camper heaven. Also, your pipes are using transparent normal polygons to block shots from striking people inside the pipes, but this will look odd since the bullets and explosions will not appear to be impacting anything.

That's a nice attempt for your first map, but you'd be better off sticking to unique, more abstract designs first I think. As you can see, other people have done this already, with visually better results. It's not that you're being shot down, but surely even you can understand that this map has its problems, no?

Offline Nefastus

• Major(1)
  • Yeeeeesssss
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:39:21 am »
Blacksheepboy:
I apologize if I seemed ungrateful for your criticism, and yes, I've seen real shoot downs before, horrible ones.
I appreciate your input whole heartedly. (Brits rock :D)

Mr. Domino:
I realize the Mario theme has been beaten and torn asunder, I just wanted to try making a simple map.
Do you think I should look for a different level to practice on or just mess around with map making?
I REALLY want to try and make a map with that visual style.
Also, I like your map. :)

Almost forgot, Poly doesn't see my scenery files, what do I do?
Yo!