Author Topic: ctf_Artep [Updated v1.2]  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
ctf_Artep [Updated v1.2]
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:37:09 pm »
CTF Artep

Another map I've been putting off for a while but not because I didn't like the layout, but because I was just too lazy to
complete it.  Stone columns were inspired by Demonic's ctf_War.

Waypointed?  Hell yes.

(Large Overview)
(Overview w/ Objects)

Screenshots: 1||2

|-\Download/-|

Version 1.2[/u]
-Top surface of columns and high platform smoothed out for better flow
-More colliders on bottom hill
-Jets set to 150
-Removed amb_cloud-msk scenery and some fx_light-beam scenery

Version 1.1[/u]
-Jets set to 190
-Bottom is now a hill
-Some stone structures raised
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:10:33 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Boxo

• Camper
Re: ctf_Artep
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:47:47 pm »
It looks too open and fragmented. Maybe I will play test it later though.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:49:19 pm »
Smaller than it looks from the overview. I'd like to playtest it... the only thing that bugs me is that the middle route is very unfriendly to running (and a bit too open).

Offline Boxo

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
I did an alone-playtest and the open problem isn't that bad because it's a small map. The fragmented problem is, the map has no continuity, and I wouldn't imagine it has a good flow, and the problem is worsened by the unsmoothly movement and surfaces.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:13:45 pm »
Not bad, I'll test it out later.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 07:29:09 pm »
Don't add that hill, this map rocks without it.
Very nice job with both visuals and layout.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »
So I've made another version of the map with the following modifications:

-190 jets
-bottom is now a hill
-some stone structures raised

Attached is an overview of the new version.  I want to know if you guys think it looks better (gameplay-wise) or not.

EDIT: New version of the map attached.  Compare it to the current one and see which is better.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:46:23 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »
That's still a decent attempt at a ctf version of Bridge.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »
It really does look like bridge, doesn't it?
Actually, that was my first thought. It does look awesomely sweet.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:22 am »
This could be my favorite of ur maps. I like especially, how you have placed player and flag spawns into different locations. It gives some specialty for this map. I see no problems at gameplay. The tops of white colums should be smoothier, now it's "hard" to get from top of colums to center. The map looks also very good, I hope that I'll see that map at custom gather when they update the mappack next time.

Offline El_Spec

• Major
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 08:13:29 am »
Downloaded both versions, I shall see what my hands and eyes behold from this map.

Looks great, from predictions, version 2 is much better than the original, but that's a just a hypothesis.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:14:45 am »
The second one seems more anti spray effective...
Text goes here...

Offline El_Spec

• Major
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:55:00 am »
Well I must say these some quality maps E_A and I'm amazing how you've managed to make such a map with these amount of detail and use minimal custom scenery.  First thing that came to me, it's looks really nice and also in the minimap, usually it'll looks crappy, but even there it looks nice.

Now, for the criticism and comments.  First thing I noticed was the map's size, it's tiny.  Really, it's at least 3 times smaller than I thought it would be.  For this size, 3.vs 3 is the max. amount of players possible for a none chaotic gameplay experience.  2vs.2 works best and even a quick 1 on 1 will work perfectly.  If I made this map, I'd re-size it by maybe 20% or so.  But even then, the layout doesn't really allow this, so leaving it the way it is works best.  I agree with SuoW, it's kind of hard to reach the upper platform.  You have to jet onto the walls in the middle and then jet to the platform, wastes time and makes players not want to take it, unless they want to go through the middle route which is purely a nade and Spas-12 fest. It'll really frustrate some players.

The colliders are another thing that I thought was good as well.  They are placed carefully and really help reduce the amount of nade spamming in the central area.

And I'd say the 2nd version is much better than the first, the terrain is smoother and it's easier to walk through it.

Also, not a huge problem, but I got some nasty FPS on this map when the gameplay intensified.  You used some scenery which I didn't exactly check to see what it was, but it was stretched across the screen and really gave me some issues.  My FPS would go from 33 to 21 to 7 and back to 25 from spawn to flag grab.  I'd recommend to remove it, it'll really cause problems for those will low-end PCS.

And for the first version, you forgot to type a map description, so it's reads "New Soldat Map".

Overall, I think it's a good map, not great, but good, 4 star quality.  Also, this is just me thinking but this map kind of is a rip-off of Demonic's style, so I guess it's good that Viggoloniggolo isn't here otherwise he'll criticize it heavily.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, is this the last map that's been put off or do you have more in your maps folder?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:58:58 am by El_Spec »

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 08:59:10 am »
what, this looks way better than any maps I've made :D

Like said above, it seems promising, we'll see how it plays when the gather mappack gets updated.

[ and on another note for the looks: I've got some layouts lying around which look horrid, wonder how they'll do pimped up with this texture ]

Offline El_Spec

• Major
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 09:02:57 am »
Yeah, ancientwall.bmp is a god-like texture, works great for any map of this style.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 09:51:44 am »
Thanks for the detailed post, Spec.  Yes, this is a small map, but you should've figured that out in the beginning because of the gostek in the overview (maybe I should've placed it in a more conspicuous place, hehe).  You're probably right about the map favoring Spas/nade combos, but then again, it could only be just the central area.  Only playtesting will tell.

Oh, I had alot more sketches in my folder, but I lost those a long time ago.  The only sketch I can remember that has not been done yet has the face of a cat in the center.  I'll probably remake some of my old maps from Summer '07 such as Windell and Roundo after this.  Right now they're pretty bad. ;s

fecking LOL, I never would've made such an observation because I don't play DM. ;p
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:59:08 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

Offline Underworld

• Camper
  • Mapper
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 01:16:53 pm »
Looks like bridge,looks good plays good ,nice map!
I don't understand
do you mean that there is a /faceplam commmand ?
and this command should drop a random item ?

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: ctf_Artep [Updated v1.2]
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »
Updated!

Version 1.2[/u]
-Top surface of columns and high platform smoothed out for better flow
-More colliders on bottom hill
-Jets set to 150
-Removed amb_cloud-msk scenery and some fx_light-beam scenery
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:10:21 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 04:15:25 pm »
Now I feel it's complete.  Only thing I still don't like is the scenery in the middle.  It's looks better when removed, but that's just my personal preference.  I don't get massive FPS drops and the map plays smoothly with 4 players (2vs.2).  I'd love to see this on servers, possibly on Gathers.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 03:33:47 am »
I'm running it on my server if anyone cares :9

OBEY!!!