Author Topic: ctf_Golem ~ final version up  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
ctf_Golem ~ final version up
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:28:46 pm »

Eagles_Arrows Ctf_Artep inspired me to make this perverted layout look badass. Thanks E_A, sorry if I ripped off too much at some parts (:

Unwaypointed as usual. If someone would be as so kind as to do it, I'll bake him cookies.

also there is an easter egg on the map.

EDIT: fixed up some polybugs and the medikit spawn bug, re-download. AGAIN.
EDIT x: fixed it again, movement is even smoother, no more polybugs, medikit placed so you can recharge at attacks

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:30:49 am by Demonic »

Offline DragonSlayer

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
Re: ctf_Golem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:30:31 pm »
This looks very nice, loving the graphics and it looks like a fast-paced and action based map. Will put it on gather's server!

AE/DragonSlayer

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:44:42 pm »
Stunning looks. Original gameplay and looks really promising... looking forward to testing it.

PS: I like the little love letter.

PS2: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2273/4dsfh4.png ds.......
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:58:46 pm by mar77a »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:05:51 pm »
Mmmmm very nice. There are a lot of default-worthy maps coming out lately. Please say that you are going to replace Death2 with this?
Nice easter egg btw...

Offline Sir Jeremy

• Flagrunner
  • Eurolicous!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:38:19 pm »
I Like it Too :) It reminds me of some of my maps that I drew out on paper, Especially the Lava part at the bottom
I like that.

Cool Job Demonic :D

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 11:48:47 pm »
I like the atmosphere. Makes it looks like it's underground, with light streaming in...

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 07:57:29 am »
The lights effects are pretty good, maybe there's too much of them? Otherwise look is good. The map idea is good and original, but I'm not convinced about the top and bottom route. The bottom route is easily defended and it's pretty hard to attack. The top route will be quite sprayfest (some lame tactics will be used, when team is leading). Also the map is pretty bad for spawnkill... To getting flag out of base will need that someone is spawnkilling the enemies. That's are the bad things came my mouth, there's a lot of good what I don't care to say cos I think the bad things are more interesting, anyway I'm looking for playtest and see if I'm wrong or right.

The medics will bug btw, you have set only one medic to each side of map. That's why medics will arrive also at grenade kit places up to flag and at bottom way (I guess that isn't what u've wanted)

Btw weird idea but I think map might work better if spawns and flag spawns are changed to each other.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 08:08:19 am »
The point is that you probably can't defend both routes at the same time, and grenades spawn so that they favour the attacker, not the defender. The fun stuff should happen when the whole team is occupied with cornering the flag carrier in, and the enemy charges from up. We'll see.

Fixed a few polyglitches and the mentioned medikit-bug, thanks for the feedback.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 08:46:31 am »
I might add this one to my server. Need to check it if it isn't too small for 8v8.

OBEY!!!

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 11:42:50 am »
Very bizarre but interesting layout.  I guess only playtesting will determine whether the map is good or not.  I think covering the OPC polygons with cols or anything of that sort would be a better indicator of them being, well, OPC.  It wouldn't hurt.

I really don't see anything in the map that looks too similar to Artep, except for those stones coming out of the ceiling ;p.  The map has those multiple layering of polygons and transparent polygons that give it its own style.  I wish you didn't use those blank.bmp beams, though; they don't fit the map imo.

I shall test this over at soldat.gather whenever I have the chance to do so.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 12:27:35 pm »
First off, the layout's boring, it's ctf_Death2, but with an extended flag base. It's unoriginal and ctf_Death2 never played great anyway, nade spam fest and Spas-12 whore map.  The areas between the tunnels are extremely tight, especially leading to the lower route.  With SuoW's comments, I agree, once someone gets down there, it'll be pretty hard to take him out.  And spawnkilling is highly likely here, lamest thing ever in a game to spawn kill someone, only defenseless noobs would do such an act. 

Also, those medic and grenade kits are poorly placed, I suggest place grenade kits in the upper route, preferably between the columns.  And maybe some medic kits below the grenades near the flags.  But I can say those polygon effects are nicely done, look great in-game.  Only thing is that since you can't set polygons behind a player, it looks so weird that when you travel behind it.  I'd make scenery out of it and use that instead.

And that hidden message is useless, you know if you remove them, the polygon count would go down 50?  Yeah, no one's going to see that unless they open it up on PolyWorks.

I'd say this is one of your least playable maps, maps like ctf_Twin and such rape this map in a brutal gangbang.  I'd play ctf_Refused over this map anyday.

And sorry if I seem harsh, but Viggoloniggolo left the community and someone needs to take his place. >:D

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:35:03 pm »
Oooh, harsh.

First of all, the only thing common in golem and death2 is that the team spawns are only separated by one wall. Death2 is much more vertical, and it's only outsprayed on Dropdown2. Basically, I flattened the design and tried to make nuubia-esque areas, with curved surfaces and boulders.

Since grenade kits only spawn on the far corners and on low route, the low attackers will have an advantage: if someone spawns, he'll only have one or two nades. Attacking with that up alone is a sure way to suicide, and if someone wants to spam the lower way, he's going to lose his ground refilling grenades. Trust me, defending this won't be as easy as it seems, the movement is very smooth.

The hidden message is also visible on the minimap ;o + I think this is my best map so far, Refused and Twin played like whack when tested out.

We'll see about spawn-killing, hopefully the medikits will even out the chances a bit.

also, new version uploaded again, spent half the evening bugfixing this :w

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56:10 pm »
I never had a chance to thoroughly test this since it isn't waypointed, so I'll need to play this at a Gather.  But those above remarks were mainly based on hypothesis, but they still are accurate.  I need to figure out how to use IRC and get active with the events.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 03:25:07 pm »
Uploaded to the eC Hexer server:
soldat://server1.enesce.com:23071/
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 04:12:32 pm »
After playtest I agree with me on that spawnkilling is a problem (It's the best way to get flag out of base if teammate is spawnkilling, kinda way I don't like the tactic). Also the bottom route is pretty easily defended if defender is playing with auto. The top route makes game interesting. It usually takes some time that other team get through that top route to bases, but when it happens, then map is getting interesting. The defenders are trying to catch the attacker closest to flag, and other attackers will get into base to kill defenders. I think there will be a lot of long attacks after attackers can get flag and escape. You (Demonic) were right on that, this is like Kampf :)

A thing I don't like, which can't be fixed it's just always in this kinda maps where spawns are near each other, only wall distinquishing, is that when you spawn you have to first run a few steps to right (for example) and then you have to turn 180 to left, when you do that 10 mins in every spawn it's getting boring. I've noticed the same thing on ctf_Death. I'm only good at running forward the turning is still the hard one :S
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:15:21 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:25:27 pm »
Knowing me, I would always try to backflip-jump up to the top route, although that would be slightly harder since there's a gap to jump..

I don't think I have ever really seen lava in a good CTF map before. This definitely looks like a nice way of using it. Yes, I would agree that you ought to make those pillars scenery, although that just means annoying and almost useless extra work. Going randomly behind them seems odd, ever-so-slightly.

Otherwise, everything looks great and feels fine. I have yet to play it on a server though

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
Re: ctf_Golem ~ final version up
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 05:32:01 am »
Finalized it. I'm not going to touch it again, it should be complete now.

No known bugs, you can get to the upper route faster, you won't get caught up on the walls all that much and there are medikits on the farthest boulders so the flagger can recharge his health.

So one last time, re-download D:

Offline MyiEye

• Soldier
  • .<><| `Homie
Re: ctf_Golem ~ final version up
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 04:20:44 pm »
wow I'm guessing the caps will be coming in pretty slowly on this map, but it's nice and original
"I gotta live like Jacob more holy less hip, by his grace Sho Baraka gone spit the real, been doing that Reach life before I got the deal, called to make mini-me's till the day that I die, so on my tombstone say, "he didn't die he multiplied"!"                                                  - Sho Baraka