Author Topic: ctf_Babel  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
ctf_Babel
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:02:17 am »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: ctf_Babel
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:41:33 am »
This map is extremely unique and awesome. Excellent scenery usage, not too little, not too much; just right. Great poly art, looks fantastic. The layout (gameplay wise) doesn't seem that unique, but the way you have it set up will most likely have excellent gameplay and all the eye-candy around it just makes it all look positively smashing!

Great job! Keep making more. Each map of yours gives me more pleasure than my entire archive of fun put together.

* downloads & adds to TMS' CTF Server *
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:45:58 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52:25 pm »
Scenery is too bright, I'd make them darker even though this is a daytime setting map.  Those two platforms in the upper corners of the map in the central areas won't be used too often.  Although you can access them and use it as an height advantage, I don't think anyone will use them anyway, the hill gives you enough.  The middle route leading to the team's flag is extremely tight and will make any Spas-12 lover's day.  It also invites cheap M79s and nades.

I've seen maps before that have similar building structure made from polygons and they never gave good FPS, but I'm surprised you only use so minimal without it looking terrible and still give good FPS.  The polygon effects in the bottom section are also a nice add.  From this point, I can tell you've pretty much mastered waypoints.

It's a very basic map with very basic gameplay.  Tight in some areas.  It would actually be kind of boring since the gameplay is so average, but those buildings and effects really give the map more life.  3-Star quality.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:52:21 pm »
I'd re-evaluate your stance on the gameplay. The layout is designed to encourage very fast gameplay, and requires human opponents to get a true idea of how it should be played. The bases are designed to be hard to defend, so much of the game will be played with flags loose or in the possession of the enemy.

They're also made so you have two choices when escaping, when can heavily affect the outcome. The bottom route is initially slow, but you can gain immense speed in the middle segment due to the poly's being ice. The top on teh other hand is teh more natural route from the flag and can be accesses quicker, and you're more likely to recieve cover from your teammates. You also havetwo rocks that can be used to escape pressure.

The bottle necks don't favor the spas as much as you say, because of the steep angle and the ability to fire on a spas before they have any chance to hit you. The sam applies for the m79, although it can be very effective on offense.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:06:39 am »
wow.

Thats one of the most awesome maps visually that I've ever seen that still has good gameplay.

Nice work. Hopefully this'll be added to a custom server so that we can playtest it out more thoroughly.

Offline DragonSlayer

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:14 pm »
I actually don't think this looks as basic or boring as ElSpec might think, it looks pretty interesting actually. I think the top middle platforms will be used fairly often because it's a good place to avoid getting fired, wait for your teammates or if you want to try and pass your enemy while letting him pass you as well. It's a nice touch, and I think it will work.

There have been a lot of great looking maps lately and this is one of them. I definitely think the fast-paced maps (even if they can be somewhat basic) are the ones which work the best because any map which break the pace with unnecessary slow parts will be mostly annoying, with some exceptions. This looks like a really fast-paced and action filled map, and it doesn't even really remind any current default map. I think this map has a lot of potential and I'm definitely going to playtest it. My only negative feedback right now would be the bottom route which seems a bit too narrow and simple, I think it could be spiced up a bit like making it more open and adding some platforms in the wide space or something like that. Example, Laos bottom route. But seriously, looking great.

AE/DragonSlayer

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:43 am »
Looks like a fun map to play, thought I havent tryed it

Otherwise I think those platforms that you made at several places makes the map different then others in a good way