Author Topic: ctf_Marionette  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
ctf_Marionette
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:51:46 am »

Offline -Zombie-

• Camper
Re: ctf_Marionette
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 02:59:46 am »
The title really does suit it, good map but not the best you've done ;)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:15:54 am »
I like the map. The map seems to be a bit complicated, I mean there are many routes that players can use. That means the map needs a lot of players, just a wild guess 5on5 or more will be the best. Spawns are nicely done, spawnkill will be minimum as soldat can provide. I really can't say I'm love with look but don't hate it either. Probably great public map.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:19:14 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:59:04 am »
I love the lights, shading, texture <3
I see some fast capping with the lower route.
I hear some spraying low too.
And i like the map :D

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:47 am »
Going colorful huh?  I can't test it at the moment since I have to go to Football practice later on, so I don't have time.  But from the overview I can say it looks fun and doesn't look too bad either.

I'm finally getting a life :(  Will post my comments on gameplay and such around 7-9 tonight or so.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:23:47 am »
Nice layout but I'd cancel the middle low route. Nice colors too.

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:16:14 pm »
As much as I'd like too but I think I'm going to have to add another map to my "Greatest Map List", I can give this a 5-star rating.

I literally have nothing to complain about this map, except for the lights and the deadly polygons.  I think the lights need some more transparency or a different color, they stand out too much and are at times a bit distracting.  And for the deadly polygons, why didn't you just make one straight line instead of placing a bunch of them like in Airpirates?  No point and takes up more polygon count.

Gameplay is fast-paced, plays smooth, all routes serve a use, spray is useless or very ineffective.  Scenery is good, except for the lights.  Waypoints work without any issues.  I think the best thing to mention about this map is the layout, although plenty of maps have sort-of a platform-linking layout, this one makes it work best.  Other similar maps don't play or work as great.  This is great work and I mean it when I say that.

Not related to the map, but I have to say two things.

First, you're the most dedicated mapper in the community of mapping.  When times were **** like they were around 1.4.1 to present, you always kept mapping and released them every other day.  You kept at it and never gave up.  That deserves some respect and bow.  I always did bow to you, but after that dedication and for this map, I'll have to bow until I touch the ground.

Also, you've been making some extremely nice maps lately.  These are maps that people will remember you for.  I'd say this is one of my favorite maps made by you and after this, I don't think you can make a better map.  But I don't know, it would seem with ever map you make gets better and better.  So whatever you make next will be so damn nice, it'll have to official.  This should exactly be official as well if you ask me, but I can sense people will not like it due to the number of routes and such.

And just to point this out a head of time, I never comment on maps that I've never played.

And this will be a great candidate for the Gather Server.  Going to highly recommend this.

Also you were attractive and sexy, but after this map and dedication, you're like goddess beauty.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:24:15 pm »
And for the deadly polygons, why didn't you just make one straight line instead of placing a bunch of them like in Airpirates?  No point and takes up more polygon count.

Actually, it's important to put them like that in ctf, because if the flag is thrown off, it'll immediatly be returned to it's starting place, instead of having to wait to respawn. I assume it's like that for teh same reason in airpirates.

And thanks, I'm glad you like it. (Sorry, I might flesh this post out later, I'm in a hurry now.)

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »
Airpirates is a trash map anyway.  It's like Ville blasted it out of his rectum when he created it.  X-Tender just took it to wonderland when he re-made it.  It's small, crammed, hard to move through, and the gameplay kisses donkey penis.  Needs to be removed pronto.  This can take it's place. ;)

And I forgot to mention, I also like the name, original and feels good when it rolls off my tongue.

And congrats on almost having 1000 posts.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:59:44 pm »
Eh, airpirates could be nice, but it flows really badly. I talked to Keron about it once a while ago, and there's not really a way to change the existing map to improve gameplay. It's sad, because it tends to be one of the first maps that people new to soldat play. To fix the gameplay would require smoothing out the map and rearranging it to something like THIS.

Regardless, thanks and I hope other people enjoy this map too. And, It's really going to be hard to make another map as nice as this. I'm actually running out of viable layout ideas, but I still have a few ideas that might end up nice.

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 07:54:47 pm »
That layout change is still fail.  Damn it, what happened to the days people start Soldat on Arena?  Why Airpirates?  Is there a new drug that I'm not familiar with?

Feel free to use any layouts I have in the Drawing Board.  I highly recommend ctf_Industrial, needs some changing, but it can be like ctf_Steel with ctf_Nuubia gameplay.

And this band and song ****ing rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJxCLcU6Wc

Date Posted: August 20, 2008, 10:24:24 pm
Where's the flesh of the other post?

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 08:01:34 pm »
Eh, I there's not much more to say, I guess that I like the lights as they are because they provide contrast, but thats simply opinion, and my main point that the deadly polys are important.

I probably won't be steadily making maps now that I'm in school. I still have some projects that I'm slowly working on though. Mainly a completely re-done airpirates with good gameplay, a ctf based sequal to htf_Azteca, which is one of my favorite maps, and a colloboration with Biggles.

Hopefully I'll also release a nice big mappack with all my recent maps, but tweaked and perfected.

Edit: I'll also continue my giant tutorial project, and am often available to help new mapps who want advice, feel free to contact me anyone.

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 03:49:50 pm »
Airpirates is fail.  It's already been remade by X-Tender.  If you remake it, then you'll fail as well.  And it's won't be "Airpirates" anymore if you modify the layout.  It's a **** map, if you want to remake something, choose a map more worthy.

I won't be releasing maps that often either.  If I do, most likely will be a 2-week basis or so. 

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:50:42 pm »
I meant make a map with the same style but a good layout.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 05:23:43 am »
That layout change is still fail.  Damn it, what happened to the days people start Soldat on Arena?  Why Airpirates?  Is there a new drug that I'm not familiar with?

Way back when I first started playing Soldat, Airpirates was my first choice as a map simply because of its intriguing name. Frankly, I liked the older version better. Less confusing.

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 08:50:04 am »
Yeah, Ville's version was better.

And Wraithlike your avatar sucks.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 03:16:34 pm »
Sorry but so does yours.

Oh I love the simplicity of da luks.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 03:32:02 pm »

Empty maplist => defaults to first map (sorted alphabetically) => Airpirates. Besides, I think the first version was really good, even gameplay wise, it's a lot of fun.