Author Topic: Advanced scenery placement.  (Read 1884 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
Advanced scenery placement.
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:22:25 am »
It would help lots if you could add it so that you can change some sceneries to new ones or completly remove some sceneries with scripting, like procedure scenery or something :P so that the script core can "tell" sceneryA.gif to change to sceneryB.gif found on the server's scenery folder. It would help lots for RPGs, so say like some guy is waiving his hand with an animated .gif and when you talk to him using /talkto randomguy and then his hand will go down and his mouth will start moving (talking), then after so long or after you go out of range his mouth will stop and depending on if you accepted his quest or not he will either just stand there waiting for you to finish the quest or waive his hand again, so you know he has a quest for you. Also it would be nice if the scriptcore can detect if your near a scenery so that stuff can change when your near it, for instance , instead of using /talkto, if you walk of to the guy he will start talking. or if you go on a button it will "press down" and a gate will open (the gate will have spikes on it and if you "touch" it you will die, by the server killing you). It would make it alot easier if Soldat would support moveable terrains, but that's too much to ask for, we can leave it for Soldat 2.0 (it has to come SOMETIME :D).

Regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:26:09 am by miketh2005 »
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: Advanced scenery placement.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:27:44 am »
Lemme guess, you play World of Warcraft? Sorry mate, despite of the shocking similarities between WoW and Soldat, Soldat remains as it is.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:32:32 am »
Lemme guess, you play World of Warcraft? Sorry mate, despite of the shocking similarities between WoW and Soldat, Soldat remains as it is.

Lol? What is that? I plan on making a sub-game mode to Soldat. Lemme guess, you DON'T play hexer or any other awesome sub-game modes? Just the same ol' boring Soldat...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:34:42 am »
And you know why a Soldat RPG would be cool? Because as far as I know, it hasn't been done before, not just in Soldat, but in gaming history! Where have you heard of a 2D side-scrolling RPG? (Castlevania doesn't count)

EDIT: oh wow, that's one thing missing in the new forum, no auto-merging...

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:35:57 am »
At the moment I don't have time to play anything, but when I did I was quite active on servers not only dedicated to said old boring soldat. Never did like it though, always thought wierd scripts were raping the original idea. I quite enjoyed Toumaz CS server though, but that script was also really well worked through. That's it, actually, most server scripts out there are just annoying and buggy. And what you're talking about here, adding a quest script with character animations? Well, if you can pull it off I'll be amazed and definitely stand corrected. 'til then I'm just gonna say good luck to you, sir.

A word on the moderation side, please use the "modefy" button instead of doubleposting :)

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 06:40:41 am »
You sir, has a very wild idea. And I doubt if it would happen. If you are hoping anything THIS revolutionary can happen, put your bets on Link Dead. 

Soldat has a nice moddability but it's not for being officially changed into completely new games. Besides, I'd rather have Berserker or Link Dead get done sooner, no need to further bother MM.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:50:30 pm »
If you guys think so much that it can't be done, why would MM say this:

• RPG mode

Role-playing and long hours of play on one server will make a lot of sense with this. This will be one big world with different maps. Players will move between servers according to their experience. So at start a player would join a noob map and move from there. This would be exactly as a Massive-Multiplayer game but of course much cooler.

• Goodbye lobby server

Imagine a multiplayer game without a server browser. Anything like that out there? I don’t think so. Let’s say every single server in the world would be joined creating one game node, or several, for example one for each continent ‘(to solve ping issues; one game node for Europe, one for North America etc.). In each node there would be hundreds of servers. The way you would travel between servers would be through portals. Each server would link to other servers and in different parts of maps there would be little portals through which you could instantly get to another server. Of course these portals would have little info drawn on them like ping, number of players, map would be seen just by looking through the portal. Imagine chasing each other not just on one map but through several servers and maps. You could hide on a different server or go help your buddy on a different one, all without exiting the game once, all realtime.

Of course there is much much more to this. I won’t write about the technical aspect of this because it is boring. The thing that matters is that this can be done. Definitely I want to try this out in my next game. In the meantime it can be done in Soldat.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »
You're more than welcome to give it a shot here, mate.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:02 am »
IMO such scenery scripts would be a nice new feature. It would give more modding possibilities. For example, you could make a command that spawns a bush scenery at where the player is, making it a good camping spot. Smoke grenades would be possible to make too, or many other crazy ideas.
Hoping to see that feature at some point..
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:06:38 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:12:32 am »
Scenery is generated once per map, as far as I know, so it's impossible... And moving scenery is already on don't suggest list.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »
Scenery is generated once per map, as far as I know, so it's impossible... And moving scenery is already on don't suggest list.

Moving scenery like in animated or moving it around the map? If it's the first, than it's already in the new version >.>

And you do realize this is in the Game Improvements / Suggestions? I wasn't asking if your able to do it in 1.4.2 I was asking to implement it in 1.5...

Also if sceneries are generated only once per map, that's where option 2 would come in, where you download the sceneries before you even get inside the map, that way the server can just tell the client to swap them when neccasary, and if this is true, than what L[0ne]R whould be impossible which would be a shame, so if this can be done without a total re-write it would be much appreciated...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:54:22 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline Rampage_Terranius

• Major
  • The Strategist
    • Soldat Noob Servers
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:03:29 am »
it would be a nice feature and would allow alot more to be done but.... im not so sure this could actually be done

Edit: would it be possible to control what state an animated picture is in? (1.5.0 allows animated scenery) so that you could force a scenery file to change to a different frame? it seems half possible but im not so sure on that
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:07:39 am by Rampage_Terranius »

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:35 am »
Edit: would it be possible to control what state an animated picture is in so that you could force a scenery file to change to a different frame?

I don't know whether this will be possible, but it'd be nice.