Poll

Verify that players are using the same scenery as the server?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Scenery Verification  (Read 5843 times)

Offline MetalWarrior

• Major(1)
Scenery Verification
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:51:32 am »
I would like to see some scenery verification (checksum?) similar to the map checking to make sure everyone is using the same scenery as the server.

I really think those people replacing their sceneries with transparent ones to gain an advantage over other players should have that privilege taken away from them. Anyone can do it but the 'good guys' and the ignorant are the ones that lose out.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
Re: Scenery Verification
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:57:01 am »
cant argue with this.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:40:18 am »
well, in fact i replace cloud sceneries, and the huge ones for lil' transparent pixels, but not trying to gain advantadge, it's because my computer is crap and it can't show up  maps with lots of sceneries -> lag. So don't touch this...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:31:03 pm »
F12, if you lag during custom maps, either A. Purchase another computer from Ebay for 50$ just to play Soldat on, or B. Play on servers with default maps. Maybe there should be an additional option to take away the scenery that are in the backround, but not hiding the player?
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
Maybe there should be an additional option to take away the scenery that are in the backround, but not hiding the player?
err i like it.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:52:25 pm »
This is absolutely great idea. Totally F12. I'm fed up with these guys seeing you behind their transparent sceneries...

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »
f11, think people

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:06:45 pm »
Agreed muchly, this would be awesome to have.

f11, think people
'k.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:21:40 pm »
I really think those people replacing their sceneries with transparent ones to gain an advantage over other players should have that privilege taken away from them. Anyone can do it but the 'good guys' and the ignorant are the ones that lose out.
I'm willing to bet that a lot of people have replaced all of their sceneries with transparent ones. F12!

f11, think people
What? Surely, that f11 must be a typo, right?
There are other worlds than these

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 06:12:48 pm »
what about practical problems? eg: server doesnt have the scenery / file transfers are disabled and client is missing scenery

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 06:17:28 pm »
what about practical problems? eg: server doesnt have the scenery / file transfers are disabled and client is missing scenery
Client missing scenery could just be handled the way it is right now - a random rectangular bitmap would be created (might be mistaken about this, but I recall being explained this is what is done; a dev could most likely shed some light on that particular issue). As for the server not having a scenery file, I could imagine two scenarios: a checksum being generated for 'all' scenery files, or one of a relatively smaller size for every single one, that's then sent to the server which checks if it's the correct one.  ... Not that I know how the current map checksum is implemented whatsoever, but my two cent.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 12:20:44 am »
F12 of course...

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 02:01:07 am »
For me it's F12.
Also I agree that
Maybe there should be an additional option to take away the scenery that are in the backround, but not hiding the player.

MetalWarrior/some mod - can you add a poll?

Offline MetalWarrior

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »
This is a good idea, and perhaps even expand this for ALL graphics and sounds used, for example covering the weapon graphics so pink grenades can't be used anymore.

F12
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »
This is a good idea, and perhaps even expand this for ALL graphics and sounds used, for example covering the weapon graphics so pink grenades can't be used anymore.

F12
It was discussed before... f11, Soldat should be moddable. Also, what's wrong with pink nades? I'd use gamma tweaks then, so it wouldn't really affect me (and others after certain time).

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 04:09:48 pm »
perhaps even expand this for ALL graphics and sounds used, for example covering the weapon graphics so pink grenades can't be used anymore.

I think this could be used in some official matches, but not in everyday games - as Ziem said, Soldat should remain moddable.
Also, there once was a thread about something similar, created by me. Take a look if you want. And vote in the poll, I'd be glad to see some more votes :)

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:04 pm »
No it shouldn't... It's allowed in every league, and there a lot of players who play league matches with their fav mods/mod mixes.
Removing scenery, however, isn't allowed.

Offline MeMM00

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 04:24:28 pm »
+1 soldat should remain mod able, i made a cool looking helmet for myself and now my guy looks like a paintball-ist, now i wanna make him some other things, like masks and camo and reaper cover and bivak mask, maybe i could make him a towel-ist! if ya know what i mean

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 05:47:42 am »
F12...mods should be able to be disabled on servers.

BTW!! Why did my previous post get deleted??
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!