Poll

Extra mouse buttons for keybinding?

Yes
22 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Extra mouse button recognition  (Read 4327 times)

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
Extra mouse button recognition
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:53:03 pm »
I have one of those fancy mice with 7 or so mouse buttons, and I'd like to make one of the thumb buttons into "Drop weapon" for easier knife throwing. However, Soldat doesn't support. See where I'm going with this?

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
Re: Extra mouse button recognition
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:31:45 pm »
Can you bind custom actions to your mouse's buttons?
I have a Logitech mouse with 8 buttons. When I install drivers for it, I can for example bind 'f' to the wheel-button, and then it works just like an 'f' key on my keyboard: when in Soldat i choose 'f' as a key for weapon throwing, i can throw weapon using 'f' key on my keyboard and also using wheel-button on my mouse.

If you cannot bind custom actions to your mouse's buttons, and Soldat doesn't accept them now, then I'm afraid nothing could be done, because Windows (and probably also other OS-es) recognize only LMB, RMB and MMB - other buttons work in some other, strange way. But I'm not sure here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 02:34:41 pm by Gotfryd »

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:46:51 pm »
I have a Logitech mouse with 8 buttons. When I install drivers for it, I can for example bind 'f' to the wheel-button, and then it works just like an 'f' key on my keyboard: when in Soldat i choose 'f' as a key for weapon throwing, i can throw weapon using 'f' key on my keyboard and also using wheel-button on my mouse.

If you cannot bind custom actions to your mouse's buttons, and Soldat doesn't accept them now, then I'm afraid nothing could be done, because Windows (and probably also other OS-es) recognize only LMB, RMB and MMB - other buttons work in some other, strange way. But I'm not sure here.

That's a good idea- but if I did that I would have to reconfigure it every time I wanted to play a game other than Soldat. If I were to have my thumb button bound to "F" and I wanted to play Half-Life 2, then I would have to change my drivers again. Quite a hassle.

However, my suggestion still stands with a simple question: if my other games can recognize these mouse buttons, why not Soldat?

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:58:17 pm »
That's a good idea- but if I did that I would have to reconfigure it every time I wanted to play a game other than Soldat. If I were to have my thumb button bound to "F" and I wanted to play Half-Life 2, then I would have to change my drivers again. Quite a hassle.
However, my suggestion still stands with a simple question: if my other games can recognize these mouse buttons, why not Soldat?
That's true.
Btw, I'm wondering whether you can do the same thing with other games. That is, can you set in Half-Life that action that is now triggered by thumb button would be triggered by F, bind "F" to thumb button and use thumb button? That could help a little...
Still, what you suggest would be the best solution.
And last thing, if anyone does not know: Soldat recognize Middle Mouse Button.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:05:09 pm by Gotfryd »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:59:38 pm »
I am going to have to go ahead and F12 this on the grounds I can't think of any reason not to.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:34:39 pm »
F12, just .. why not?

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »

Logitech are one step ahead of you. You can configure different mouse layouts for different programs, so you don't have to do exactly what you just described. :P

And I'm willing to bet other mouse drivers have the same capabilities. Seems quite a standard feature to me.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:22:26 pm »
F12

I think this would be a great function. With my mouse software updated, Soldat will not recognise my extra mouse buttons, whereas other games never seem to have an issue.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:53:15 pm »
F12

Why not? It's even better.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 05:25:23 am »
Logitech are one step ahead of you. You can configure different mouse layouts for different programs, so you don't have to do exactly what you just described. :P

You're right :) I've forgotten about it, because I play almost exclusively Soldat ;D

Hey, at this moment there is 100% support - 11 votes! Very impressive! Let's wait until vote number reaches 20, and add it to public demands.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:27:16 am by Gotfryd »

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 06:10:28 am »
I say not everyone will use it..
but let it be possible.
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 09:29:08 am »
f12

Btw, learn scroll for knife throwing :{

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 10:05:33 am »
f12 FTW!!!

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 06:39:45 pm »
F12, im using a BTC mouse and its got 5 buttons so it would be useful to use those other buttons for a reason.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 08:33:56 pm »
Logitech are one step ahead of you.

Those guys always are.

With that in mind, I still think this is a good idea. Doesn't seem like it'd be hard to implement, but then again I know nothing at all about coding. I was going to use an analogy involving Edward Norton, but it didn't come out right.