Author Topic: Polyworks on Vista  (Read 13606 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Polyworks on Vista
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:40:37 am »
IMPORTANT: FOR VISTA SP1 YOU MUST RUN CMD.EXE "as administrator".

First off, you can download polyworks HERE.
Polyworks is an advanced map editor created by Anna Zajaczkowski. It is akin to photoshop, as it can do many things that the normal map editor can't and is recommended for both beginning and edvanced mappers.
That said it was also meant to be run on Windows 2000/XP, and has issues on Windows Vista. Although it may seem intimidating to fix it, it's really quite simple. Just follow these easy steps:

(For this to work you must be an administrator)
  • Download and install Polyworks (link)
  • At this point you should get a number of errors upon running it. Don't fear. The first thing you'll be missing is dx8vb.dll. This can be downloaded Here
  • You'll want to make sure it's in you WindowsSystem32 Folder, along with MBMouse.ocx, COMDLG32.OCX, mscomctl.ocx, msvbvm60.dll, and scrrun.dll. The first three are included in the polyworks download and can be copy>pasted into the System32 Folder.
  • Hit Win+R (win is between the left ctrl and alt). This brings up the run window.
  • Type "C:WindowsSystem32cmd" and hit Enter. This opens the command prompt.
  • Type "regsvr32 dx8vb.dll" and hit Enter. You should get a message saying the file has been registered.
  • Type "regsvr32 MBMouse.ocx" and hit Enter. You should get a message saying the file has been registered.
  • Type "regsvr32 COMDLG32.ocx" and hit Enter. You should get a message saying the file has been registered.
  • Type "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx" and hit Enter. You should get a message saying the file has been registered.
  • Polyworks should work fine now. If not, repeat the last steps with msvbvm60.dll and scrrun.dll, and try again.
  • If that fails, right click the Polyworks icon and select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tap, and set the compatibility to Windows XP.
  • Finally, if it still has problem go to Properties>Compatibility and check Disable Desktop Composition.
  • If all this fails, refer Here or Here and see if your problem is addressed. And if not post here asking for help.
If you have a problem not addressed here, but it seems important to let others know, pleace PM me with your problem and how it was solved, and I'll add it to this post.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:38:27 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
Re: Polyworks on Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:51:57 am »

Player since late 2007

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:17:46 am »
Does someone have a problem with uber FPS drop for certain tools after disabling Desktop Composition? Or it's just me?
And also I must mention that one needs administrator rights to perfom regsvr32 command.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:43:18 am by VirtualTT »

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:49:15 am »
Yep, my fps is really low on polyworks and im running on vista. Especially on vertex colouring. : P
Soldat since 1.0.5

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:21:50 am »
Thanks Vtt, fixed.

Hair|Trigger: I made this, because I find this solution simpler, and because for the sticky thread it's easier to keep things in order if I create the post myself, rather than have to edit someone elses. I also wanted to show this method step by step, and it would have been rude completely gutting his post.

Offline Lt. Sprizz

• Major
  • I'm sorry if I offended you.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:37:58 pm »
hair|Trigger: The link u posted was the first topic i went to about getting polyworks to run on Vista. The guide didn't work. Underworld never posted anything back concerning Chariot's problem, which is the exact same problem i had. Also, most of the people that got that guide to work actually posted that it didn't work at first, but then they went into CMD and messed around with it and it worked. Sounds a lot like Wraithlike's guide here.

Thank you, Wraithlike, for the guide.

That being said, I still have a problem Wraithlike. When i type into CMD "regsvr32 (whatever)" i dont get a message box that says it was registered successfully. I get the same message box that Chariot does on Underworld's guide. Can someone give us any help at all to me and Chariot's problem? :'( Any advice at all would help, I'd even take a "I don't know" just because then i would finally know someone is listening to us on these "polyworks on vista" topics. PLEASE help. :-\
"I am Jack's lack of surprise..." ~(Tyler Durden)
-=::SPOILER::=-
Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are the same person...:)
In-game: \Biz|Niz/

Offline pubby8

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:00:41 pm »
I've gotten the same error as Lt. Sprizz mentioned, and I know how to fix it. The error code means that you do not have permission to modify it.

To fix:

Start menu -- click on the picture of your account picture.
Turn user account control on or off -- turn it off
restart

If this doesn't work then put yourself as administrator.
Fixed it for me!

I suggest you add this to the main post.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:09 pm »
Wraith, about the stuff relating to the command prompt and registering DLL's, you don't need to open a command line (and if you want to, just do start>run> type "cmd" and hit enter; the absolute path isn't needed). As for the other commands, you can also easily type them at the start>run box without the need to type them into the command prompt.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Lt. Sprizz

• Major
  • I'm sorry if I offended you.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:01 am »
Thx so much pubby8!!!! ;D ;D ;D I have been DYING to get Polyworks to work. This is awesome!! I'm going to mapping like crazt today. and thx again wraithlike for starting the whole topic.
"I am Jack's lack of surprise..." ~(Tyler Durden)
-=::SPOILER::=-
Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are the same person...:)
In-game: \Biz|Niz/

Offline pubby8

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:24:15 pm »
No prob.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 06:08:35 pm »
There is no need to place the .dlls' in the windows folder at all. Just place every dll you need if you downloaded one with in the same directory as the polyworks .exe and it will work.

OBEY!!!

Offline Underworld

• Camper
  • Mapper
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 02:43:25 pm »
Thanks Vtt, fixed.

Hair|Trigger: I made this, because I find this solution simpler, and because for the sticky thread it's easier to keep things in order if I create the post myself, rather than have to edit someone elses. I also wanted to show this method step by step, and it would have been rude completely gutting his post.
I thinks its allot ruder copiing my whole post,even the links and claiming it as your own research but meh,i dont give a shit aslong as people with vista find there fix
I don't understand
do you mean that there is a /faceplam commmand ?
and this command should drop a random item ?

Offline Crescendo

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:38:29 am »
Thank you, this worked for me, PW running without problems so far.
If you're reading this you're a moron

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »
For me, well it says that the    MBMouse.ocx ain't correctly register....
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:10 am »
You need to put every thing as a admin......it's my problem....am supposed to be the admin of my pc, but am not.....
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline eurasianbro

• Major(1)
  • (Providencia)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 03:31:42 am »
Hey, I'm using Vista 64bit Ultimate, and when I try to register the files, a window pops up saying for example, "The module "MBMouse.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe."

How can I work around this? I've been stalled from working on my map long enough :/

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 02:01:42 am »
I prefer to keep MBMouse.ocx, COMDLG32.OCX, mscomctl.ocx, msvbvm60.dll, etc. in PolyWorks folder rather than put them in system32 (however this means that i'll need to re-register them if i'll move Polyworks somewhere else).
system32 is getting more like a dump eventually.
Also there is no need to open CMD. All these commands can be performed with Run window. It's much better since it allows Copy-Paste. In case if you are registering component that is located not in system32 folder you need to specify full path to it. If you can see Windows shield there it means that task will be performed with administrator rights and regsvr32 will work fine.
I'm also using Vista 64bit Ultimate but i don't remember having errors like "The module "MBMouse.ocx" may not be compatible..."

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:08:08 am by VirtualTT »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 02:06:52 am »
Hey, I'm using Vista 64bit Ultimate, and when I try to register the files, a window pops up saying for example, "The module "MBMouse.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe."

How can I work around this? I've been stalled from working on my map long enough :/
See if a regsvr64.exe exists instead?
There are other worlds than these

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 02:12:02 am »
I think regsvr64 exists but it's only for 64 libraries...