Poll

Do you support it?

yes
28 (80%)
no
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Adjustable invincibility time after respawn  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
Adjustable invincibility time after respawn
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:28 am »
I saw suggestions to make invincibility time after respawn longer.
Some people agreed, but some were against.
Maybe it should be adjustable in options, like respawn time?

Please vote and post comments.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: Adjustable invincibility time after respawn
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:57:54 am »
F12, no explanations needed.

But just a bit more information: Increase the invincibility time, you can't shoot for a longer time but you can't be killed. Decrease the invincibility time, you can shoot, but you can get spawned like mad.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:00:16 am by STM1993 »

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:06:38 am »
F12, this is self-explanatory, good idea and should be optional as said above.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:25:06 am »
Will probably prevent people from whining so much on pubs, f12.

(I'd like to be able to shoot while being inv, because current invic sucks, it doesn't give any advantage)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:58:34 am »
No. That's just dumb. It would be abused. anythign above 2 seconds is stupid. When you spawn, you get straight int eh action and you want to start owning. If it's a few seconds of invunerability, then you could run away from your base and be half way through some of teh smaller maps, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Think of you attackign in CTF. You're ally just got the flag and he run past you, as your covering him, two enemies spawn with two seconds of invunerability you fire a Barrett shot, BAM headshot. Nothing. YOu get wasted, yelling at the screen "What the hell! I've got green connection! He should be dead!".

It would remove all hopes of guarding the flag bearer. The defendes would spawn and gun down everyone straight away, and the attackers would start to hang back, and decrease the intensity of Soldat and increase the range of people who shoot. The MP-5 would lsoe it's assault capability. I don't like this idea. Vote to kick.

Everyone hates getting spawn camped, but when you are spawn camping, you run out of bullets or your shot's still starting up, so then you die, but you get a few cheap nade kills. IF this happened, the defenders would spawn and you'd get wasted. It'd be no fun, the defenders jsut get an inital "Rush" of invincibility. No.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:20:20 am »
lots of whining

All right, it can be restricted - only between 0 and 3 seconds, for example.

And I forgot to mention - when you are invulnerable, you also cannot shoot. So you can't pwn others.

Some of your conclusions I don't understand at all...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:44:33 am »
When you have high invulnerability time, you can actually run into the enemy base, catch their flag, and run off without getting damaged. Classic example of such a map if the invulnerability is made longer - Ctf_Ash.

As for being able to shoot when there's invulnerability, that is what I'm strongly against.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »
F12 as long as there is a limit to how long.

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »
I'd actually reduce it to 0. When u spawn, enemy throws nade at u that comes right when those 2 secs (or so, if its random, max 2 sec) and u get killed, while u cant throw nade back since u're under protection...for 11, reduce it!

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:51 pm »
I don't know... the intentions are good but this could open up another opportunity for hackers. If this can be exploited then it'll spread like wildfire.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:33 pm »
good idea i would like to see this pit into action F12

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 03:58:01 am »
This would be helpful against spawnkilling, not to mention that it makes your server a bit more customisable. Customisation = good.
Personally, I think invincibility time should be a bit longer than it is now.
You could go out of invincibility mode if you shoot before it wears off, so if you spawn close to main battlefield (f.e. on ctf_Kampf) - you'd still be able to start fighting without waiting for invincibility mode to wear off.

As for it being too long... If you make it so long that you can cap enemy flag while still being invincible.. well, you gotta be an idiot to host a server like this. People simply won't play there.

I don't know... the intentions are good but this could open up another opportunity for hackers. If this can be exploited then it'll spread like wildfire.

Good point. But so far BattlEye's doing a good job, so I guess we can rely on it.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:38 am »
As for it being too long... If you make it so long that you can cap enemy flag while still being invincible.. well, you gotta be an idiot to host a server like this. People simply won't play there.

Good point.
There is also one more thing - usually maps are rather symmetrical. In that case, if blue players are able to cap while being invincible, red players also can do this. So it is fair (however very crazy).

Offline Ellimist

• Major(1)
  • Ingame Nick: dashd-sh1
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:44:56 am »
It could be usefull, but only if its not to long.

Wouldnt it mean start up time for m79s have no effect at respawn?

Offline a fool

• Major
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:06:29 am »
F12
You can get killed faster then you can kill...
At the moment, it's very spawn killing friendly. I mean you're taking damage and you still can't shoot for another 0.1 second after the invincibility is done...
Verily!

Offline tendulker

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 09:40:21 pm »
f12, one of those common sense things that should have been there formthe beginning.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 12:16:58 am »
I voted yes, but I just realised, can't you do this through scripting? This already is an anti-spawn kill script.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:10 am »
I voted yes, but I just realised, can't you do this through scripting? This already is an anti-spawn kill script.
There are anti-spawnkill scripts, yes.. but i think even as default soldat setting it needs to be increased. :/
IMO best would be if invincibility wears off either 2-3 seconds after spawn, or earlier if player opens fire.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 06:51:58 am »
I has an idea. What if invincibility was adjustable as suggested, BUT to solve problems, would wore off as soon as the player fired a shot? That means you could have a high time to prevent spawning and the player could fire as soon as he spawns but would loose his invincibility.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 07:03:13 am »
OR the player would be an awesome rusher and he'd pick the enemy flag with the invincibility and grief that way the game.

That was F11'd

The most ppl agreed on this:
Longer invincibility (~3 seconds) and the ability to fire while invinicble (without wearing off).
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.