Author Topic: M1911 Gfx Accuracy  (Read 7314 times)

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
M1911 Gfx Accuracy
« on: February 16, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »
I'm toying around with making a full mod, and I made this gfx of a Colt 45:

What I'd like, is for it to look like this:

Love any suggestions.

Thanks.

G2

What Revelations 6:8 SHOULD say: "And behold a pale horse, and his name who sat on him was Death... and all of the United States Marine Corps followed with him."

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
Re: M1911 Gfx Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:32:54 am »
You are exaggerating on the proportions a lot.

That indented part at the front beneath the barrel would not translate to even half a pixel difference if it was scaled down to the proportions you're drawing. Same applies to the rear sight and the shell ejector. The grip is not shaped that way at all.

It's a classic case of a person looking at a picture of a specific thing and then going on to draw a generalisation of what that thing is and then realising it looks generic, changing it in haste and exaggeration to find themselves satisfied with their lack of comparrative drawing and image translating abilities.

Your height:length ratio is pretty much spot on though, although that could just be blind luck.

You need to learn about looking at the negative space that is around what you're drawing or you will never get it right.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Profesh

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:13:12 am »

That indented part at the front beneath the barrel would not translate to even half a pixel difference if it was scaled down to the proportions you're drawing. Same applies to the rear sight and the shell ejector. The grip is not shaped that way at all.

It's a classic case of a person looking at a picture of a specific thing and then going on to draw a generalisation of what that thing is and then realising it looks generic, changing it in haste and exaggeration to find themselves satisfied with their lack of comparrative drawing and image translating abilities.

Your height:length ratio is pretty much spot on though, although that could just be blind luck.

You need to learn about looking at the negative space that is around what you're drawing or you will never get it right.

Alternatively, he could keep the interface graphic as-is and pretend that it was modelled after a CZ-75:

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:43 am »
As I can see you have some problems making the handles.. I think you should change a bit the bottom part.
Then, the fron part with the barrel is too thin.

Please save it as png ; _ ;

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:42 am »
As I can see you have some problems making the handles.. I think you should change a bit the bottom part.
Then, the fron part with the barrel is too thin.

Please save it as png ; _ ;

I did. It's probably the site I upload it to (photobucket). It makes it a jpg. Is there a better site?

I don't have the pic with me now, but I will later, and I'll modify it accordingly.

Thanks.

Yeah, and you need to learn how to be a little more... diplomatic when helping people. Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the help. It's the condecending attitude I don't need. And I can't help but notice a lot of people here have said attitude. Now what I have isn't two black lines put together like the work of a 3 year old. With all due respect, your tone is out of line. Again, I love the help, but if your gonna use insults as the vector I suggest you rethink that one.

Please, read your post from my point of view. It sounds like a Harvard Law professor talking to a 5 year old hillbilly. Is that appropriate?

Thanks

EDIT: I was just fixing the gfx when I came to a startling realization, Mangled. While your "constructive criticism" succeeded in telling me that my gfx was flawed, it didn't explain how to best fix it.

Lil tip: Next time, in addition to insulting, please remember to also include how I ought to modify it to your approval.

Thanks.

EDIT: Now, here's an improved pic:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:02:37 pm by gladiator2 »

What Revelations 6:8 SHOULD say: "And behold a pale horse, and his name who sat on him was Death... and all of the United States Marine Corps followed with him."

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »
Mangy is not quite correct saying your L:H ratio is "spot on" because the barrel needs to be 1px shorter. Stop trying to show the step cut under the muzzle; I know it's there but you need to use shading to show it instead of trying to express it with the shape alone.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:03:33 pm »
Mangy is not quite correct saying your L:H ratio is "spot on" because the barrel needs to be 1px shorter. Stop trying to show the step cut under the muzzle; I know it's there but you need to use shading to show it instead of trying to express it with the shape alone.

Solid Copy.

Alright, how's this? Better?

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:14 am »
Yeah, and you need to learn how to be a little more... diplomatic when helping people. Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the help. It's the condecending attitude I don't need. And I can't help but notice a lot of people here have said attitude. Now what I have isn't two black lines put together like the work of a 3 year old. With all due respect, your tone is out of line. Again, I love the help, but if your gonna use insults as the vector I suggest you rethink that one.

Please, read your post from my point of view. It sounds like a Harvard Law professor talking to a 5 year old hillbilly. Is that appropriate?

Thanks

EDIT: I was just fixing the gfx when I came to a startling realization, Mangled. While your "constructive criticism" succeeded in telling me that my gfx was flawed, it didn't explain how to best fix it.

Lil tip: Next time, in addition to insulting, please remember to also include how I ought to modify it to your approval.

Improvement is born out of criticism and criticism must be taken on board in order to progress and develop integrity. I believe my criticism outlined what is wrong with it and I felt it would perhaps be almost too condecending for me to outline exactly how you should go about fixing it.

I'll try to be more helpful now:

The shape of the grip is much better but is now out of proportion. Make the entire barrel 1 pixel wider in height and make the trigger guard 1 pixel lower. These will match the proportions much better. You may also need to make the grip 1 pixel shorter.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:11:48 am »
Solid Copy.

Alright, how's this? Better?

Looks kinda.. skinny?
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:14 am »

Thanks

Improvement is born out of criticism and criticism must be taken on board in order to progress and develop integrity. I believe my criticism outlined what is wrong with it and I felt it would perhaps be almost too condecending for me to outline exactly how you should go about fixing it.

I'll try to be more helpful now:

The shape of the grip is much better but is now out of proportion. Make the entire barrel 1 pixel wider in height and make the trigger guard 1 pixel lower. These will match the proportions much better. You may also need to make the grip 1 pixel shorter.

Thank you.

No, explaining how to improve is not condecending. Saying-

It's a classic case of a person looking at a picture of a specific thing and then going on to draw a generalisation of what that thing is-

+

+

or you will never get it right.

-is condecending. I didn't upload this:

-and then ask: "Could somebody tell me how to improve this please?" Now did I? what I put up, wasn't too bad. Better than others, but still not perfect, which was the MO for this thread. Now, here's the modified:

How's that?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:28:44 pm by gladiator2 »

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:55:51 pm »
Looking thousands of times better. I think you've got the shape nailed pretty much.

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »
Looking thousands of times better. I think you've got the shape nailed pretty much.

Really? Great thanks.

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:12:17 am »
Sorry for having to post again, but I want to finish this gfx.

So, is there anything wrong with the Colt .45? 'Cause if not, then this thread has served it's purpose, and I can officially move on.

Thanks.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:37:07 am »
Man, give it a black outline! The outline stays in EVERY case!!! Otherwise the weapons will look not as good as with the outline ;) If you set black pixels for details in it, change em in the end to your darkest shading-color, that will improve your weapons ;)

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:53 am »
Man, give it a black outline! The outline stays in EVERY case!!! Otherwise the weapons will look not as good as with the outline ;) If you set black pixels for details in it, change em in the end to your darkest shading-color, that will improve your weapons ;)

Thanks for the advice, DC. Here, how's this:

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 01:15:55 pm »
That is some better, but look at my version of your weapon:
- yours had some punched holes in the outlines
+ good details on the gun ;)

I took your version of the gun and changed outlines, some mainthings, gave it some kind of texturing and dithering manually and removed a pixel in the barrel ;) Look about how I changed the gun, try to learn, where you could improve, try it yourself without going from my weapon and you will get better [pigtail]

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 02:21:19 pm »
Lol, really I like Gladiator's one not yours.
And btw first of all DarkCrusade, think about upgrading your skills ;)

Offline gladiator2

• Major
  • Future USMC soldier
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 03:25:27 pm »

I took your version of the gun and changed outlines, some mainthings, gave it some kind of texturing and dithering manually and removed a pixel in the barrel ;) Look about how I changed the gun, try to learn, where you could improve, try it yourself without going from my weapon and you will get better [pigtail]

Okay, Dark, we need to get something straight here.  :P

Let me say this... as LOUDLY as possible.   :P

1. Do not use a condecending tone with me.  :P  I came down on someone else for pulling that s#$t. I don't know if your aware or not, but generally, human beings do NOT enjoy said attitude being lashed out at them. I am NOT an exception to that. I absolutely love your advice, but if you're gonna package it with a condecending, awful attitude, I suggest you take that advice, pull your pants down, hold your breath, and store it in a place that is known for not recieving any sunlight. ;D

2. DO NOT use a condecending tone... and then have the nerve to put up an even worse gfx and say that the worse one is better.   :| To be quite honest, if I published your work, in addition to becoming a laughingstock, I would deserve that attitude. To be honest, I'm developing the impression that it's me who should be shooting that condecending attitude towards you.

3. I'm not some 4 year old toddler. I'm a junior.  :| I have an honors Curriculum. I got a 1320 on my SATs. I'm not some dumbs#$t, pot-head, low-life, scum-sucking, intestinal parasite. I'm probably far more intelligent than you. Don't talk to me like I'm the annoying 3rd grader next door.  ;D

4. It's QUITE obvious that you've never handled the Colt M1911. I have. My father's service pistol. He was in the Marines, and I've fired his Colt enough to know that there isn't a magical BUMP on the shell ejector. IN FACT, there's a slight indent, which even makes LOGICAL sense... now doesn't it.   :o

Again, I do love the advice. It helps me perfect these images. Other people notice some irregularities that I would otherwise pass up. However, what I do NOT love is an extremely a$sish attitude, especially coming from someone who thinks the utter garbage that spews from his GI tract onto the screen is better. The next time you want to use that tone with me, I HIGHLY suggest you make damn sure your work is better than mine.  :|

try it yourself without going from my weapon and you will get better

Outta curiousity, exactly what drug are you on?  ;) 'Cause whatever it is, stop using it. I don't think you could pay me to use your "weapon."

What arrogance. I admit I can be arrogant at times. It comes from the family. But at least I make sure that I'm right.  :|

Thanks for the support, Sky. I'm glad someone else is still sane.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:27:28 pm by gladiator2 »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 04:13:08 pm »

Okay, Dark, we need to get something straight here.  :P

Let me say this... as LOUDLY as possible.   :P

1. Do not use a condecending tone with me.  :P  I came down on someone else for pulling that s#$t. I don't know if your aware or not, but generally, human beings do NOT enjoy said attitude being lashed out at them. I am NOT an exception to that. I absolutely love your advice, but if you're gonna package it with a condecending, awful attitude, I suggest you take that advice, pull your pants down, hold your breath, and store it in a place that is known for not recieving any sunlight. ;D

2. DO NOT use a condecending tone... and then have the nerve to put up an even worse gfx and say that the worse one is better.   :| To be quite honest, if I published your work, in addition to becoming a laughingstock, I would deserve that attitude. To be honest, I'm developing the impression that it's me who should be shooting that condecending attitude towards you.

3. I'm not some 4 year old toddler. I'm a junior.  :| I have an honors Curriculum. I got a 1320 on my SATs. I'm not some dumbs#$t, pot-head, low-life, scum-sucking, intestinal parasite. I'm probably far more intelligent than you. Don't talk to me like I'm the annoying 3rd grader next door.  ;D

4. It's QUITE obvious that you've never handled the Colt M1911. I have. My father's service pistol. He was in the Marines, and I've fired his Colt enough to know that there isn't a magical BUMP on the shell ejector. IN FACT, there's a slight indent, which even makes LOGICAL sense... now doesn't it.   :o

Again, I do love the advice. It helps me perfect these images. Other people notice some irregularities that I would otherwise pass up. However, what I do NOT love is an extremely a$sish attitude, especially coming from someone who thinks the utter garbage that spews from his GI tract onto the screen is better. The next time you want to use that tone with me, I HIGHLY suggest you make damn sure your work is better than mine.  :|

try it yourself without going from my weapon and you will get better

Outta curiousity, exactly what drug are you on?  ;) 'Cause whatever it is, stop using it. I don't think you could pay me to use your "weapon."

What arrogance. I admit I can be arrogant at times. It comes from the family. But at least I make sure that I'm right.  :|

Thanks for the support, Sky. I'm glad someone else is still sane.

When I would look as an other person on this post I would think you would want to have a foe who is really angry on you, but I take it easy now. What I wanted to say with my gfx was, that your tone wasnt deep enough, YOU used 5 colors, too less I think and that was the point I was getting at, but you didnt understand.

To come more on your post: I dont think you are in a position to say that you are more intelligent than even someone, because you cant know by a post (just if he is really a doofus) whos cretin and whos not, but thats just btw, because

I dont think it is important that you had the weapon in your own hands, it just shows you the weapons in real, but you can have the same effect if you see a picture of the weapon.

To say it clearly: you think I am arrogant? In your big arrogance you should not keep saying others are arrogant .... I didnt say you are a little child or a idiot, I didnt say that I am more intelligent than you, and I think you should think about yourself why you scare others saying what they think.

Like I mentioned in an other thread I WAS never on drugs and WILL never be on drugs, and it is a real offense to say something like that, but that, too, is not the point I want to get at:

You dont seem to get why I posted my crappy version of the M1911!

Have fun, I´ve finished

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »
Any more personal attacks will get warnings. Play nice guys.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0