Author Topic: 1.5 on Vista doesn't work at all  (Read 2381 times)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
1.5 on Vista doesn't work at all
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:29:19 am »
I just got an new kickass Dell laptop running a clean install of Vista business SP1 32 bit with all updates etc and the latest Directx

I'm getting the following errors anytime I try to run Soldat. It's also not picking up my registration, which I ran right after the 1.5 installation. (I did a clean install of Soldat, not a 1.4.2 upgrade)

http://soldat.jrgp.org/vista/15vista.png
http://soldat.jrgp.org/vista/15vista2.png

I tried running it as Administrator, setting it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP and 98, and also enabled Video Compatibility mode in the config.exe.

Any help / suggestions would be very much appreciated.

(installing xp is not an option)
There are other worlds than these

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
Re: 1.5 on Vista doesn't work at all
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:42:40 am »
I'm glad you're staying with vista. Try disabling visual themes for 1.5

Right click on soldat, go to the compatibility tab, then tick the box that says "disable visual themes".

Make sure "Run program as administrator" Is checked as well.

I have vista and it works fine, I patched 1.4.2 to 1.5 instead of getting the full 1.5 download. Try that if you run out of ideas.

Make sure hardware acceleration is full.

Control panel>adjust resolution>advanced>troubleshooting tab>ramp it to full.

That is a kickass laptop by the way. Nice job!

What directx does it have? 10?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:46:46 am by Gnoblar »

Offline Agila

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:49:26 am »
You could try reinstalling your directX.

EDIT: wrong link, it was DX9
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:53:51 am by Agila »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:51:24 am »
You could try reinstalling your directX.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0CF368E5-5CE1-4032-A207-C693D210F616&displaylang=en

Nah, DX10 is quite reliable, it should be fine.

EDIT: did it work?

Oh and Agila, welcome to the forum, :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:25:26 am by Gnoblar »

Offline Agila

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:45 am »
I downloaded and installed the file. Turns out it contains DX9 and 10 files. The version number placed there was confusing.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0CF368E5-5CE1-4032-A207-C693D210F616&displaylang=en

This has also happened to me too but with another game. Asking me to install dx8 or higher  even though I had dx10. Reinstalling the directx fixed this.  (I do not if updating dx will work)
Hope that helps

Oh and Agila, welcome to the forum, :D
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:00:36 am by Agila »

Offline Hacktank

• Camper
  • Soldat Scripter
    • HTZRPG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »
I get the first error if I try to run the game on more than 1024x968 res. What are you trying to run it at?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 04:28:54 pm »
I get the first error if I try to run the game on more than 1024x968 res. What are you trying to run it at?
1280x1024. (annoying since 1.4.2 works perfectly on other computers, or at least the windows xp machines I use on a daily basis)

I don't have time to try the stuff you guys suggested right now, but I'll get to it in a few hours when I return. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:30:29 pm by jrgp »

Offline Chebur

• Major(1)
  • RzR(tm)|
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:29:09 pm »
Man.. When i got my Dell laptop, the first thing i've done, f***ing unistalled Vista straight away))) I mean, seriously Vista packed up with bugs + 1.5 with hell of a lot of issues, is like a kickass combination.But I think i know wats the issue here, and it has nothing to do with vista. Ure video adaptor (aka graphics card). Nvidia Quadro series, is the series for professional designers, modeling and s**t. Its a very powerful and expensive GPU indeed, but it is not the one u buy for games. I have never worked with one, so i cannot be clear on that one, but i suppose it does not work the same way as GeForce (casual, not professional series of GPU's from nvidia) with DirectX and stuff like that. I cannot say a lot more about it, but i mean its just logical. If the error has to do with DirectX- its graphics issue, if its graphics issue it has to do with ure GPU. U can get more info bout Quadro GPU's here http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:32:48 pm by Chebur »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 08:26:27 pm »
It's worth holding on to vista for when windows 7 comes out. Vista kicks XP's arse. All the compatibility issues people while about are from GPU or video-related. Vista itself is fine.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:34:14 pm »
Man.. When i got my Dell laptop, the first thing i've done, f***ing unistalled Vista straight away))) I mean, seriously Vista packed up with bugs + 1.5 with hell of a lot of issues, is like a kickass combination.But I think i know wats the issue here, and it has nothing to do with vista. Ure video adaptor (aka graphics card). Nvidia Quadro series, is the series for professional designers, modeling and s**t. Its a very powerful and expensive GPU indeed, but it is not the one u buy for games. I have never worked with one, so i cannot be clear on that one, but i suppose it does not work the same way as GeForce (casual, not professional series of GPU's from nvidia) with DirectX and stuff like that. I cannot say a lot more about it, but i mean its just logical. If the error has to do with DirectX- its graphics issue, if its graphics issue it has to do with ure GPU. U can get more info bout Quadro GPU's here http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html

1) I'm not getting rid of Vista until 7 comes out. From what I've seen, Firefox, Gimp, Pidgin, Geany, Filezilla, and some of the other programs I also use on Linux (which is on my desktop and main laptop exclusively and that will never change) work perfectly fine on Vista, not to mention it's pretty natively without patching XP dll's.  And if worse comes to worst, I'll use this laptop for other programs that don't work with wine, like halo 2 and I can keep to other windows xp machines for Soldat.

2) You don't need to define everything for me, computer terms and such, as I'm in no way ignorant and nothing, NOTHING annoys me more than dealing with people who are condescending. I'd really appreciate that, thanks.

It's worth holding on to vista for when windows 7 comes out. Vista kicks XP's arse. All the compatibility issues people while about are from GPU or video-related. Vista itself is fine.
Yes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:37:33 pm by jrgp »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »
From what I've seen, Firefox, Gimp, Pidgin, Geany, Filezilla, and some of the other programs I also use on Linux (which is on my desktop and main laptop exclusively and that will never change) work perfectly fine on Vista.

The new version are designed and made for vista, especially the super sexy Google Chrome. Many studios are changing to Vista, it's just superior.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:23:54 pm »
The new version are designed and made for vista,
New version(s) of what?

it's just superior.
superior to what?

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 10:59:46 pm »
New version(s) of what?

Firefox, IE, Google Chrome... most programs...
superior to what?

XP

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:09 pm »
Ok, I got it to fully work by setting it to use windowed mode 1024x768 and having it run as administrator. I did not have to have windows run it in compatibility mode for an earlier version of windows.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I first got polyworks working by registering its required dll's and ocx's. To do this however, I had to run cmd.exe as administrator, otherwise the dll register program gave errors.

@Gnobler, ok.

edit: I'm locking this as the problem is solved and I don't want this thread to turn into a windows version religious war.