Author Topic: INF_Rio de Janeiro  (Read 2384 times)

Offline MaVeRiCk/PaT0!

• Soldier
  • ex-mapper
    • Soldat Brasil
INF_Rio de Janeiro
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:15:35 pm »
Rio de Janeiro

By MaVeRiCk/PaT0!

(^Click To Enlarge^)

Screenshots:

Download / Rate on TMS

Checkout more maps by MaVeRiCk/PaT0!

This map is hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase

Well... The statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro is probably one of the most famous postcards from Brazil and I decided to use it as an inspiration for a new inf map. I started this map about two or three months ago, when I was bored. The 'stthing was the statue polyart.  I almost gave up this project by the lack of motivation to keep mapping. Yesterday I hadn't anything better to do, so, I decided to finish it.

I don't know anything about how the gameplay of this map is. Layout was a bit inspired by Abel and some TW maps (and also by pictures of the real statue). It's quite linear and ascendent, and I thought that would be nice to add many trees creating spots to hide and camp. As the most of my maps, it wasn't tested. And it probably wouldn't be played anywhere. So, it wouldn't surprise me if this map sucks.

Talking about visuals, I originally planned this map to be more defaultish than it became but the final result really satisfied me. In my view, it's not very realistic and not defaultish too. The statue should be more detailed, which should justify its number of polygons, but yesterday I made a mess with the texture placement and lost the work.

Not waypointed yet.

Thx!
sorry, bad English...

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
Re: INF_Rio de Janeiro
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »
Looks good, I'll try it out asap. Would be cool to have 1 or 2 more short tunnels that aren't too easy to def though (so it shouldn't be enough to simply throw a nade down the entry).

Btw, your English isn't bad at all :)

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:52:14 am »
I'd expect more from this I guess...

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:06:43 pm »
It's too vertical, and since the whole point of it is to make it like the mountain on which the statue stands, I'd suggest putting up a lower tunnel system, maybe split it into 2 routes at the middle later.
b&

Offline El Presidente

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:12:04 pm »
This map graphics are definitively good. I think that an additional road would be sufficient, no more. It is useless to facilitate the way up to the black flag, since once we put a hand on it, return to the white flag is done soon, dropping at the bottom of the hill.

This map seems interesting. I would be proud to play it on a server. :)

Offline MaVeRiCk/PaT0!

• Soldier
  • ex-mapper
    • Soldat Brasil
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »
Thx.

It is useless to facilitate the way up to the black flag, since once we put a hand on it, return to the white flag is done soon, dropping at the bottom of the hill.
I though it too, but now I'm really thinking about a new way to get through the flag. In this afternoon I sketched some possible layouts for an alternative route. Since it was not planned before, I tried to plan it in the best way so the new route could connect with the previous plan for this map, without losing its main design conception. I'm not sure about it, but this was the best I sketched today:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1063/jpgqwa.jpg

poor overview converted to jpg in mspaint. Red arrows are the red team flux to get the black flag and yellow arrows are its possible ways for getting back. I think I'm running out of ideas :P

Maybe I'll do waypoints to test it a bit with bots if I have free time to make them, anyway, I'm probably going to post a new version of inf_rio tomorrow.

Thanks all for your replies. Bye! ;)
sorry, bad English...

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »
Now that's more like it! Give me a way pointed version to try out and I'll report back to you in a couple of days.
b&

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 09:11:34 am »
This map really needed that kind of tunnels. Make it and then we could try it out in some INF server...

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »
This map really needed that kind of tunnels. Make it and then we could try it out in some INF server...

we got inf servers in #soldat.mapping for testing inf maps ;)

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:13:45 am »
Design is done well although more thought and creativity should be concerned within the map. No originality or individuality much shown or involved. Too plain in my righteous mind.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!