Author Topic: ctf_Lantu (Lanubya remake)  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
ctf_Lantu (Lanubya remake)
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:35:47 pm »
Lantu

By Wraithlike

Remake of Lanubya, modified for ease of movement. All routes are faster, and it's now easier to reansition between them. New entrance to base has been added to help prevent stalemates and to improve overall offensive play. Furthermore, bases have been shrunk and most medkits have been removed, this makes the bases harder for a Flag Carrier to stay in. And of course, viaually improved. I hope you all enjoy and provide constructive feedback.

(^Click To Enlarge^)

Screenshots:

Download / Rate on TMS

Checkout more maps by Wraithlike

This map is hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:41:49 am by Wraithlike »

Offline jerich

• Camper
Re: ctf_Lantu (for contest)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:54:05 pm »
It's the same scale as the original right? I like what you did to the openings to the bases, that's the only change I really asked for Niko's version and you did a phenomenal job with it. I'd still say it could be a little smaller, but that it's very minor since you were able to fix the stalemate problem with the map. I like the coloring and scenery, although I never really care for that kind of stuff.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:27 pm »
The ideal of lanubya was the dificultiness of flag capture and escape, now it's kind of ruined since theres a hole in those up spawns :/

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:27:29 pm »
The ideal of lanubya was the dificultiness of flag capture and escape, now it's kind of ruined since theres a hole in those up spawns :/
Well, the purpose of this is to make it a more playable map. Who cares about the ideals of what is was? No one wants to play a game where its way too frustrating to cap. Look at the old Death and Kampf...both of the uniqueness of each of those maps is that it is defense oriented. It is soo hard to cap that no clans ever played them in leagues and no one really cared for them in publics.

Now compare the Death to Death2.

Just a SIMPLE but EFFECTIVE fix of putting the flags from the inside of base to outside, made it much more playable, exciting, and less frustrating.

Look at: http://stats.sctfl.net/index.php?map=ctf_Steel

Guess what? It's the 9th most played map out of the 27 maps whereas Death was rarely even considered back when it was on the rotation in prior versions.

What Wraithlike did to Lanubya was made it more of an offensive map and I can assure that this map would be more played than the original if this was on the rotation. It is currently 24th out of 27 with the most map played in SCTFL with it not even played 30 TIMES.

Out of the 6890 times a round was played, Lanubya was only chosen 28 times...
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:29:49 pm »
Thank you jerich, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »
yeah you choose lanuyba mainly if you know that you are meeting a strong opponent and either tries to score a lucky cap and defend it or at least get a draw and take it to tiebreaker

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 05:07:47 pm »
I still might remake Lanubya, but you just cut half of my motivation. I've been planning to do exacly the same opening at top.

I don't like much what you've done in center. There are now more room at top route and less room at mid (top of bridge), that makes the game samewise everywhere. Imo, variety in routes is always good thing.

I wish you gonna change medic spawns a bit, especially the one behind base.

Suggestions: http://i41.tinypic.com/2ufra82.png
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:59:14 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline Map Artist

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »
I personally don't like what you've done with the layout change, as in making it easier to cap the map as I like a challenge and with my experience, this map has never been that difficult to cap, it simply requires teamwork.   The one thing I love about ctf_X is that it forces teammates to cooperate and use teamwork or the game is lost.  The original Lanubya enforces the same concept and with what smiluu stated, is ruined.  However, most players will see this an improvement.

I playtested the two after the other and I feel this is a bit too large in size.  I feel the space in the center is too open and provides too many camping opportunities.  I loved how the original was compact, yet it didn't effect the gameplay too much.

And since the shading and coloring is simple, 732 polygons seems a bit overkill.  The map also suffers from serious lagging and unless some changes are done, I cannot this with as an replacement as it'll cause problems for too many players.

This is a well done remake as it surpasses the original is certain aspects.  I don't like the changes to the layout as it makes it easier, but that's my personal preference.
It lurks in the deep, waiting for the perfect moment to strike...

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »
Could you point out where it is too large in size, so I can fix it?

Also, Suow, is it necessary to curve the bridges, I feel like having them straight makes movement faster and allowes you to travel from the bottom to middle routes more easily.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:39:43 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline Map Artist

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »
I feel the space in the center is too open and provides too many camping opportunities.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Yes, but where in the center, because right now, there's less space than in the original lanubya. (comparison)

Offline Map Artist

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 08:00:21 pm »
Specifically the area under the bridges.  I compared the two and with your caparison, no changes will be necessary since there isn't much of a difference.

I could have sworn your remake was much larger, must have been an allusion.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 08:54:13 pm »
Also, Suow, is it necessary to curve the bridges, I feel like having them straight makes movement faster and allowes you to travel from the bottom to middle routes more easily.

I like running, but I also like flying. I want to do them both, not only run. Hehe sounds propably nonsense.

It might be that I've faced that supersmooth maps aren't too fun, because it's so easy to move fast. It's fun to me that I need to focus on smooth moving also while playing, for example flying over polygons, jumping at good moment to get best speed for next part, it's fun. For example at run's bottom route, there are a lot of ways to move there, you can do it slow or fast. At supersmooth maps there isn't need for focus: 1st curve: jump jump jump, 2nd curve: jump jump jump, 3rd curve: jump jump jump and so on. Boring!

This remix isn't too smooth though. I'm just a bit against smooth talk which I see a lot.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
Re: ctf_Lantu (Lanubya remake)
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 02:24:29 pm »
played it @ #soldat.mapping and Its definantly an improvement felt smooth as well as easier to steal the flag.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 02:54:57 pm »
Looking good

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:17:30 pm »
Needs to move a few polygons in the islands to make movement better, mostly in the upper route, but that's all.