Author Topic: ctf_DivisionRmx  (Read 5938 times)

DarkCrusade

ctf_DivisionRmx
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:07:34 pm »
ctf_Division Remake

I wanted to make a more intense ctf_Division and I really think I have done a good job, but you may have an other opinion :P I made mooving smoother, added better possibilitys for boosting (low route and base), enabled nading the low route from the top of the bases (cool for the flagcarrier) and gave Division a new theme. I did not want to make a map with enormous scenery, but I guess it looks okay anyway :)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:35:17 am by DarkCrusade »

DarkCrusade

Re: ctf_DivisionRmx
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:34:59 am »
Updated version. I fixed all polybugs. None will be ever seen again on this map ;) It would be perfect if there were waypoints, but it has none :(

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:30 pm »
try modifying the waypoints of the old version xD
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:38:09 am »
Hm, I will try at least :)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:26:24 pm »
I really like the industrial theme here, but sceneries are a bit distracting. I think you should reduce the opacity of background sceneries, especially smaller ones like trees and the crane. Tunnel background has too much detail, tone it down a bit so that it doesn't have as much contrast and add a little bit of orange tint so that tunnel BG blends with the rest of the map.

In terms of layout I prefer original Division. I especially don't like the additional bit at the top of the map - there's not as much room to fight there as it was in the original. :S

Overall it's a nice remix, but I don't think it's good enough to replace the original. Though with some fixes it'll probably make a decent custom map.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »
I've learned that using overstretched sceneries as background scenery that covers a large part of a map is a cheap way of creating the atmosphere. Sure, you may say that you probably can't see it in-game, but it pays off when the overstretched sceneries turns extremely blocky.

The scenery usage in here is a little bit random, but the "division" sceneries in alpha and bravo base and the cave bg doesn't look out of place like the rest of those trees are.

Shading is excellent, though.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:25:08 am »
I will give the tunnel background a tad orange color to suit the background better. I figured that my layout changes ruin the original "Division feeling" a little bit and I´ll work on it, especially on the middle part. As I already said in the default discussion I will work on those random and overstretched scenery in the background.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:30 am »
I really really really like this map! The low route looks so fkn awesome! Although it does change the simplicity of the original map. However, this does look good, very interesting layout but the middle part may get too congested.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
ctf_DivisionRmx Wpt's
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:07:17 am »
I personally hate the background scenery for the low route. I take it back. It's quite manageable.

No promises, but I've fallen behind on my "I'll-waypoint-this-map-for-you" quota. So I'm seriously considering giving this one a whirl, although it is very discouraging considering Keron Cyst waypointed the original map :-X

edit:

After looking at Cyst's waypoints... geeze that guy knew what he was doing, my goodness. I've waypointed a good deal, and his still look like a foreign language :'(

edit2:

haha after looking at Zakath's waypoints, I feel better (no offense Z!)

edit3:

Did it tonight. It is usually a must-do-now-or-never sort of deal whenever I get inspired. It was fun, and the round with bots afterward wasn't too bad. There's a zipped prefab file, and/or a compiled form of the map with the waypoints. Download whatever form suits you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:30:01 am by Blacksheepboy »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:36:55 am »
I personally hate the background scenery for the low route. I take it back. It's quite manageable.

No promises, but I've fallen behind on my "I'll-waypoint-this-map-for-you" quota. So I'm seriously considering giving this one a whirl, although it is very discouraging considering Keron Cyst waypointed the original map :-X

edit:

After looking at Cyst's waypoints... geeze that guy knew what he was doing, my goodness. I've waypointed a good deal, and his still look like a foreign language :'(

edit2:

haha after looking at Zakath's waypoints, I feel better (no offense Z!)

edit3:

Did it tonight. It is usually a must-do-now-or-never sort of deal whenever I get inspired. It was fun, and the round with bots afterward wasn't too bad. There's a zipped prefab file, and/or a compiled form of the map with the waypoints. Download whatever form suits you.

Thank you heaps, I´ll definetly use those waypoints for the remake, too kind of yours ;)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:46 am »
If you need me to touch them up if you change around any of the polygon placement, I'd be glad to.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 03:04:46 am »
If you need me to touch them up if you change around any of the polygon placement, I'd be glad to.

Nice to hear that, I´ll definetly need to change them around :)

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:25:00 am »
Ahh, I can see that you can make great maps of your own, not remakes like some untalented mappers out there. You did an outstanding job here. The texture stretching is beyond words, the trees growing on rock hard surface is a great new idea, the tunnels do not resemble puke noir at all. Now the flagger can not only run away easily, but humiliate his chasers as well. I think this is a breakthrough in soldat mapping. The peak of human achievement. You are by far the best thing since emo culture. I believe you are allowed to call yourself a soldat mapper and are qualified to come even near to touching other peoples' maps.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:34:21 am by Horve »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:28 am »
Thanks to my parents that I´ve never understood what sarcasm is. Thanks, Horve, nice compliments.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »
Thanks to my parents that I´ve never understood what sarcasm is.

Let the dead past bury itself. Move on, take sarcasm lightly etc.

I've been playing some older maps to see how they've gained their recognition, and I have noticed that they tend to follow some basic foundational principles...

It all started with waypointing this map and comparing my waypoint designs with those of Keron Cyst's. I notice that his waypoints are very straightforward and seemingly simple, yet that simplicity allows for higher degrees of flexibility and quality. Surprising huh? Sure, simple waypoint designs take longer to tweak, as you don't have as many fail-safes, but the gist is, you should use very few fail-safes.

These flexible waypointing principles can be mirrored in mapping. Often times, the simpler -- less convoluted -- the better. For instance, that background in the tunnel has too much noise (contrast, w/e), and the colliders (barrels etc.) cannot be seen very readily. It has other consequences as well (too gimmicky)...
Therefore it is often better to stick with using 'blanks' as backgrounds, or something with very low opacity. Less contrast/business = easier on the eyes.

To more directly relate this to your map: there are a few basic principles that should be followed when regarding specific situations that come up in mapping (exceptions being special game modes).

With this map, the bottom route is too uniform with itself; too tight; too regular. It looks like part of an intestine. Consider this: you are chasing the Bravo flagger that just hopped into the intestine-tunnel. What do you need to stop him? Line-of-sight. What factors increase your line-of-sight? Openness and route variety. There is a balance to be achieved that is between tight (small), and oh ma gawd 2 much spray lawl (too open/vast).

Another one I have run across. Look back to the original Division. Where are the players spawns in regard to the flag spawns? There are two player spawns behind the flag spawns for each team. There are no player spawns in front of the flag spawn. Keep this in mind, and follow this principle. You don't want to capture a flag wreathed in newly spawning players. This principle is followed in many (older/better) maps.

And finally the last one that I have noticed. You need to make more jumpable ledges. When you make ledges that slant downward before a drop, it makes jumping over the entrance into the low tunnel awkward for bots and players. If bots can't maneuver the map well, it is highly probable that players can't either.

Er, actually one more quick one. The map is too curvy. Once again, study the design of the old Division. The design is pretty straight. The polygons are just _ / - whereas your map is like ( S & }. The polygons in the old Division are that way for a reason. It took me a while to find this one out as well. I would think that they just threw maps together quicker er something, or because of the older mapmaker. It is okay to have lots of 90 degree angles in a map.

As you can see, when waypointing a map, you become very familiar with its design
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:56:57 pm by Blacksheepboy »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:28 am »
@BSB: That´s what I call critique :) Thanks, I´ll consider each of your thoughts when I got enough time to go on with mapping [pigtail]

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:11 am »
I like the remake, but it has a couple flaws that I dont like.

The first is the BG in the lower route. Its too.. strong, too visible, too detailed and too dark. It has too much contract and it makes it look like its a solid object which will attract the players eye when he sees the route.
Try something more blurry and more grey with less contrast.

Then the map is overall quite dark. The background is dark orange and it gives the map a depressing feeling and the monotonic grey of polygons feed the dullness of the map.
There are many ways to do this different. Either adjust the polygon colors to have hints of orange besides just plain grey. And more brighter scenery or change the background color to something more interesting. Perhaps a combo of all these will greatly make the map more awesome looking.

Finally I can clearly see individual pixels of the streched scenery object in the background. I think you majorly overdid the stretching on those.

Other than that, pretty nice.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:14 am »
@numgun: That´s pretty much what Sheep said, but it´s always nice to hear a second opinion ;) I can´t work much on the map right now because I don´t have much free time at the moment, it will take a while :(

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »
This remade map is simply a lot better than the previous map. I love your design man, hopefully you keep it up son.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »
This remade map is simply a lot better than the previous map. I love your design man, hopefully you keep it up son.

Thanks, it´s nice to hear compliments :) Will need some work on the map, though, before I can call it ready.