Author Topic: More polygon properties  (Read 5437 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
More polygon properties
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:07:11 pm »
Suggestions for more polygon properties which will give mappers much more possibilities for interesting ideas and effects.

Density.
Determines how "solid" polygon is. 100% is a normal colliding polygon, and 0% doesn't collide with player at all. 50% density will make player sink down through it two times slower than normal falling speed.
This will let mappers simulate liquids to some extent. For example, a polygon with 80% density with "hurt" effect will be a perfect way to make a swamp or quicksand. ;D

Friction
Determines how long it takes for player to accelerate and slow down when walking on this type of polygon. 100% being normal ground, and 0% - no friction at all (you'll keep sliding at a constant speed, even if you try walk in the opposite direction). Ice would be maybe around 50%. Although you wont be able to prone-surf. :S Perhaps "prone surf" can be a separate effect, like "deady" or "regenerate"?

Density + Friction combined would create even more interesting effects. For example, have a polygon that is at 0% density (doesn't collide) and at 0% friction.
Again, friction will affect only players that come in contact with the polygon. That includes players that are INSIDE that polygon. So you'll not only to fall down through that polygon at constant speed, but you also can jump and keep moving up not affected by gravity, as long as you're inside the 0% density and 0% friction polygon. In other words, this will create a zero-gravity effect inside that polygon.
Or it can be put that way:
Density = how fast soldier moves through a polygon, and
Friction = how fast soldier accelerates/decelerates while in contact with the polygon.
(I hope that makes sense)

Reflectivity
A simple effect that reflects objects that are above that polygon. Reflectivity can be set in percent, 0 being non-reflective (default) and 100 being full mirror-like reflectivity. Perfect for creating glassy and icy kinds of surfaces. If it's applied to vertices instead of whole polygons, it can create a smooth transition between reflective and non-reflective.

Reflectivity can be not just for looks, but in realistic mode you could see enemy's reflection even if you don't see enemy himself. (That is only if the "mirror" is in your line of sight, otherwise you won't see reflected enemies either)
But unlike other polygon suggestions, this will cause major increase in system requirements, so I guess this will forever be only an idea.

Bounce
An "official" way to make bouncy polys. 0% - default non-bouncy polygon. 100% bounciness will push player away at the same speed at which he hit the polygon. And, for example, 200% will push player away twice as fast as the speed at which he hit the polygon.
Or perhaps instead of bounce strength it would be better to specify bounce distance instead. This should allow more control over where player will end up.

Adjustable hurt/lava/regeneration effect values
Ability to set the amount and frequency of those effects. For example, make a polygon that heals 50hp every 10 seconds, or hurt poly that deals 5 damage per second.

For some of the above examples another addition is necessary:

Ability to set multiple properties at once.
For example, polygon properties window could look like this:
-----------
Opacity:      [81%]
Density:      [100%]
Friction:      [50%]

Collides:   
(-)      [bullets]
(-)      [flaggers]
(+) add object type

Effects:
(-) Effect:   [bounce]      [60m]
(-) Effect:   [regenerate]   [12] units per [30] ticks
(+) add effect
-----------

Polygons behind player
Speaks for itself. Will allow to create backgrounds for caves and buildings without wasting sceneries and time on aligning them.

Polygon animation
Movable platforms, doors, traps, and more would be possible with those.

And of course...
Fixed Polybugs?

-----------
See other mapping-related suggestions here
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:45:17 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Re: More polygon properties
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:13:01 pm »
*drool* would love to see some of this, especially density.  Would make for some fun bullet-time fighting if you put a giant 50% mask over everything :P  (If bullets are slowed by the polygons too ;)
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:14:41 pm »
*drool* would love to see some of this, especially density.  Would make for some fun bullet-time fighting if you put a giant 50% mask over everything :P  (If bullets are slowed by the polygons too ;)
You could set "collide" to "player only" and bullets will fly as if theres no polygon at all. :D

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:20:45 pm »
I always heard playing with polygons is unpossible due to how the script works. F12 if its possible.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:40 pm »
It's not possible right now, but that's the point of a thread I'm making - to get together all the suggestions that require map format change.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »
Well, mapping needs really a change. I like the mapchange so that we have .png support and now even .gif, but that is not about the acutal game and just for the looks. I really want to see the most you suggested, Loner, implemented into mapping and more.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:47:49 am »
A very strong F12 for increased moddability such as this.

Sadly map format ain't changing anytime soon...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 04:55:30 am »
A very strong F12 for increased moddability such as this.

Sadly map format ain't changing anytime soon...

... except we give some hyper suggestions that need to be immediatly included into Soldat. :)

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:25:47 am »
Map format NEEDS to change... it already did, and it will have to change again, unless we want Soldat remain as it always was. For nostalgics, there will always be people playing in old servers, for hells sakes...

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 08:26:10 am »
And I have a great Idea for a polygone, and it's a polygone that slows people........because we dont walk as good in mud than on the ground. Am I right?
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:51:50 pm »
And I have a great Idea for a polygone, and it's a polygone that slows people........because we dont walk as good in mud than on the ground. Am I right?
That is basically the same thing as density. Lets say, you walk on a polygon with 90% density - you will start to slowly sink down through it and it will slow you down.
Or you can have a wall with 30% density. You will be able to walk through it, but slowly. Like through a wall of jello. :D

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:19:00 am »
Smiluu, that´s doable with scripting on polygons Smiluu, but highly appreciated.

Offline MetsuriTossavainen

• Camper
  • The Chainsaw Wizard
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 03:40:52 am »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 01:38:06 pm »
Right. Forgot about those.. It'd be a huge change and I doubt it'll ever be added, but I included it in the list anyway.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »
I like the idea of friction and density, but reflections? cmon, things like that arent straightforward to do at all, and can require a bit of video performance. Capturing and morphing bitmap data and applying masks isnt really a good idea IMO. A lot of unnecessary effort.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Diretlani

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »
HOW ABOUT MOVING POLYGONZ?!

For a = 1 to 3
a = -1
Post.text = "F12"
Next a

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 12:22:00 am »
There will eventually be a Soldat 1.6, a new map format would most likely be the highlight of it. I posted somewhere around here ages ago about moving to an XML map format; main thing I want to be able to do is have scripts for individual polygons/maps which will bring endless possibility for dynamic maps.

Offline Diretlani

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »
There will eventually be a Soldat 1.6, a new map format would most likely be the highlight of it. I posted somewhere around here ages ago about moving to an XML map format; main thing I want to be able to do is have scripts for individual polygons/maps which will bring endless possibility for dynamic maps.

Nice :D!

When are you gonna do that? i hope soon :3

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 09:47:57 pm »
Probably in the next 15 - 20 years if you're lucky.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline LORD KILLA

• Camper
  • Happie
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:19 am »
Well, I think the most important feature, wich has to be added 'immediately' would be multiple polygon propertys.
Somebody make a poll/voting on those features ?

HOW ABOUT MOVING POLYGONZ?!

For a = 1 to 3
a = -1
Post.text = "F12"
Next a

You should not use VB in here, most use Pascal. Or try with C, wich is way more known then VB

// pascal
var i: integer;
for i:=0 to 3 do begin
    WriteLn('F12');
    i := i - 1;
end;

// C
for (int i=0; i<3; i++) {
    cout << "F12" << endl;
    i--;
}
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:50:43 am by LORD KILLA »