Poll

Do you think it should be added?

F12 (yes)
F11 (no)

Author Topic: Simple parallax background  (Read 3760 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Simple parallax background
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »
You know how horison, or sun and moon "move along with you" when you move and look at them? This is the kind of effect that would add more depth and atmosphere to Soldat.

In order to achieve that, something similar to parallax effect can be used. A 640x480 image is placed behind all the sceneries and polygons and moves along with you as you advance through the map. It's a simple effect, but it can create a feeling of a bigger world, not just a random polygons hanging in the middle of nowhere.

So, lets say, you can move from one end of the map to another end and have a sun in the same spot on the screen. Of course it doesn't have to be sun - it can be distant mountains, forest, whatever. The point is, while you move along the map, you will always see that image of forest/mountains in the background.

This would be the best example of what I mean:
http://theoreticlabs.com/gameapi/Parallax-example.gif
Notice how the ground is moving but the sky is perfectly still.

-----------
See other mapping-related suggestions here
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:13:18 pm by L[0ne]R »

DarkCrusade

Re: Screen-fixed background scenery
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:29:06 pm »
F11, this is way too complicated since every player needs to have a different background.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:11 pm »
An example in an actual map, please?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:52:38 pm »
F11, this is way too complicated since every player needs to have a different background.
Why would every player need a different background? You will only see background on your own screen. You won't see other players' backgrounds if that's what you mean.
It can be like a part of your interface. Except your health bar and stuff shows up in front of everything, but background will be behind everything.

An example in an actual map, please?
How do you expect me to give an example of a feature, that hasn't been added yet? :/

All I can give right now is this pic: http://theoreticlabs.com/gameapi/Parallax-example.gif
Notice how the ground moves, but sky is static.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:55:11 pm »
You don´t understand me at all. Read my post. Try to understand how a DarkCrusade thinks.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »
^ Fine, could be good...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:36:32 pm »
You don´t understand me at all. Read my post. Try to understand how a DarkCrusade thinks.
I honestly tried, but your comment still doesn't make sense to me. :/

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »
Well, then let me explain:

If you have a non moving horizon every player needs an own horizon background that looks like one he got. He may have the option to choose wich one he wants to have but on all default maps a night themed background makes no sense near to the fact that every mapper has a different background (individual) that needs its own horizon theme. What I want to get at is, that you can´t have one horizon for each map. It is impossible. And for sure you really don´t need it! We had updates for Soldat and Polyworks giving us .PNG and .GIF support (pure looks), now it is time to affect the gameplay itself.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »
Well, then let me explain:

If you have a non moving horizon every player needs an own horizon background that looks like one he got. He may have the option to choose wich one he wants to have but on all default maps a night themed background makes no sense near to the fact that every mapper has a different background (individual) that needs its own horizon theme. What I want to get at is, that you can´t have one horizon for each map. It is impossible. And for sure you really don´t need it! We had updates for Soldat and Polyworks giving us .PNG and .GIF support (pure looks), now it is time to affect the gameplay itself.

The background would be part of the map, not something a player chooses for himself. It's like choosing map background color in polyworks. You could choose an image for background exactly the same way. It's that simple..

True, we already have gifs and pngs, which are awesome. And I aggree that now we need more bugfixing and new gameplay features. But I never said it's something to be added right now. I just think it's one of those small simple features that arent too hard to add, but would add more depth and atmosphere to a completely flat-looking game.

Try to understand how others think for a change.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:01:50 am »
The background would be part of the map, not something a player chooses for himself. It's like choosing map background color in polyworks. You could choose an image for background exactly the same way. It's that simple..

True, we already have gifs and pngs, which are awesome. And I aggree that now we need more bugfixing and new gameplay features. But I never said it's something to be added right now. I just think it's one of those small simple features that arent too hard to add, but would add more depth and atmosphere to a completely flat-looking game.

Try to understand how others think for a change.

What do you want to say me with "Try to understand how others think for a change"? Sorry if I bring my own opinion into a discussion, in the future I will agree with you in any way. Okay, now I stop kidding :P

Well, as there are a few mappers with some artskills there would be possibilities for this few mappers. That means that a minority gets a new feature that a majority is not able to use properly and that´s a F11 for me, we need updates that make mapping better for everyone, but I agree with you that the mapformat needs a change.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 03:19:02 pm »

What do you want to say me with "Try to understand how others think for a change"? Sorry if I bring my own opinion into a discussion, in the future I will agree with you in any way. Okay, now I stop kidding :P

Well, as there are a few mappers with some artskills there would be possibilities for this few mappers. That means that a minority gets a new feature that a majority is not able to use properly and that´s a F11 for me, we need updates that make mapping better for everyone, but I agree with you that the mapformat needs a change.

I don't mind your opinion, but before posting it - make sure you at least tried to understand what others mean. Your understanding and others' arent always the same, but I get a feeling you tend to forget that and often start criticizing other person's point of view without even understanding it.

On topic:
Well, so far people were getting away without art skills. If they can make custom sceneries out of images found on google, I'm sure backgrounds won't be a problem for them. A few backgrounds could be supplied with soldat by default, so people could just use existing ones.

DarkCrusade

Re: Scenery as map background
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 03:35:28 pm »
You are greenly, Loner, really ... I understood your position, but try one moment to get away from your almighty adult position or whatever. Do you think I don´t read your posts or don´t think about what I am writing? Due to the fact that this backgrounds would need to be very big to fill the whole screen. Due to the fact that many maps don´t have black blanks that fill the space where no player is able to move and will look horrible with such a background, due to the fact that downloading a new map with such a background takes ages to download it, due to the fact that only a minority is able to create their own, custom ones it is not needed at all or would change much.  If you create a good background on a map with normal scenery you can have a much better effect. Just look at Glowing Dawn v4 to understand what I am talking of.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:05:38 pm »
Do you think I don´t read your posts or don´t think about what I am writing?
Yes, I have my doubts.

Due to the fact that this backgrounds would need to be very big to fill the whole screen.
due to the fact that downloading a new map with such a background takes ages to download it
~ 640x480 to be exact. Average size is about 70kb, which isn't all that big. And with some skill you can make it even less. If you can't download even that - I doubt you'll even be able to play soldat with ping less than 500.

~ They dont have to be 640x480. A smaller image could be automatically stretched to fill the screen.

Due to the fact that many maps don´t have black blanks that fill the space where no player is able to move and will look horrible with such a background,
Can you post a screenshot of such map? Preferably the spot where it's supposed to look horrible.

due to the fact that only a minority is able to create their own, custom ones
it is not needed at all or would change much. 
Is it based on a statistic, or is it your own assumption? Are you really so sure that others are such completely helpless noobs who can't do anything than stick polygons here and there? From what I've seen - even new mappers arent that bad.

If you create a good background on a map with normal scenery you can have a much better effect. Just look at Glowing Dawn v4 to understand what I am talking of.
The point of this feature is not to let you add a pretty background to your map. Point is - to create parallax effect that i mentioned to add more depth to the map, not just beauty.

You are greenly, Loner, really ... I understood your position, but try one moment to get away from your almighty adult position or whatever.
I'm glad you find my position adult and almighty. I was afraid I sound like a nerd. ;O

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:34:34 pm »
Yes, I have my doubts.

Then let me tell you I actually think about what I write.

~ 640x480 to be exact. Average size is about 70kb, which isn't all that big. And with some skill you can make it even less. If you can't download even that - I doubt you'll even be able to play soldat with ping less than 500.

You never made a map.

~ They dont have to be 640x480. A smaller image could be automatically stretched to fill the screen.

That wouldn´t make a cool background, it would look overstretched and ugly.

Can you post a screenshot of such map? Preferably the spot where it's supposed to look horrible.

I can name some: ctf_Ash, ctf_Run, ctf_B2b and many more. Ctf_Conquest would look nice with it.

Is it based on a statistic, or is it your own assumption? Are you really so sure that others are such completely helpless noobs who can't do anything than stick polygons here and there? From what I've seen - even new mappers arent that bad.

Just look on the maps of most mappers and you get your answer. I am long time in mapping and I know what I talk of actually.

The point of this feature is not to let you add a pretty background to your map. Point is - to create parallax effect that i mentioned to add more depth to the map, not just beauty.

In the end it is to get a pretty background. Or has a parallax effect an effect on gameplay.

I'm glad you find my position adult and almighty. I was afraid I sound like a nerd. ;O

/turn off irony

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:29:43 pm »
You never made a map.
Is that a fact or your own assumption? Because I did make a few.

That wouldn´t make a cool background, it would look overstretched and ugly.
Is that a fact or your own assumption (again)? I believe I can make a good-looking background with a smaller image. And if I can - I'm sure others will too. I'm not that special.

Also, I'm not talking about blowing up a 10x10 pixels image to 640x480. Now THAT would look overstretched and ugly.

I can name some: ctf_Ash, ctf_Run, ctf_B2b and many more. Ctf_Conquest would look nice with it.
Here are a few photoshopped screenies of ctf_B2b I just made:
http://static.diary.ru/userdir/5/1/6/9/51690/43979618.jpg
http://static.diary.ru/userdir/5/1/6/9/51690/43979615.jpg
So far I dont see a problem with them. And speaking of file size - both screenshots are 640x480 and are no bigger than 35kb. I don't think stretching smaller images would even be necessary.

Just look on the maps of most mappers and you get your answer. I am long time in mapping and I know what I talk of actually.
From what I've seen - even new mappers arent that bad.

I am a long time Soldat player and a slightly less long time graphic designer and artist. I have seen a plenty of not bad looking maps. And I think those mappers have enough skill to create custom backgrounds as well.

In the end it is to get a pretty background. Or has a parallax effect an effect on gameplay.
No, it will not play any role in gameplay. It is just a visual feature, yes. However I repeat: it is not meant to add a pretty picture in the background. It is to add a feel of a bigger world and depth. Whether the background is pretty or not - depends on mappers' skills.

Also, I do believe this section is called "Game Improvements / Suggestions", not "Gameplay suggestions only", unless my eyes deceive me.

/turn off irony
But without it I'll have to take your statement seriously, and I can't do that, can I?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:33:10 pm by L[0ne]R »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:48 pm »
Well, quit nice background on B2B. I only want to say that I don´t like a background on a place outside the map. If I have a nice background I have a black fade and then just pure black to the outside. Most default maps don´t have this black space and that makes a background not as good as it could be.

Don´t misunderstand me. It would look nice. It would give a feeling of depht. But it is just about the looks again and we need more things that affect gameplay. And no, this is not Gameplay Improvements / Suggestions, you are right. It are just too many graphical suggestions lately.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 06:58:34 pm »
Well, quit nice background on B2B. I only want to say that I don´t like a background on a place outside the map. If I have a nice background I have a black fade and then just pure black to the outside. Most default maps don´t have this black space and that makes a background not as good as it could be.
I think I know what you mean.. What I did on my maps is I made that black area big enough that a player couldn't see the end of it. Unless he zooms in with barrett.
Also, picture as background would be entirely optional. You could always use classic gradient instead.

Don´t misunderstand me. It would look nice. It would give a feeling of depht. But it is just about the looks again and we need more things that affect gameplay. And no, this is not Gameplay Improvements / Suggestions, you are right. It are just too many graphical suggestions lately.
Well anyway, it's up to dev(s) what should be added or not. And there are a lot of other features that I too would like to see more than this one (like the new polygon types). But since I decided to get all the mapping suggestions together, I thought this idea is worth suggesting as well. Otherwise I'd just forget about it. <_<

Offline Fujifabric

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • richter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
i like it.

Offline NTxC

• Major(1)
  • Scripter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »
It's a good idea, go for it ;)
A good example of parallax scrolling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbYI00F87Y
(look at the background while Sonic slides down the mountain)

I think it would be awesome.

EDIT: better quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhzwL18q38o&fmt=18
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:04:10 pm by NTxC »
:[ NT-Online Server Mod Coming Up! ]:
- Reward System - earn rewards for your frags...
- CVARs - configuration variables - to make the server administering easier...

... and more! Coming soon!