17 (51.5%)
Duz remake
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Arena  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Arena
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »
Original

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Re: Arena
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
Fixed img and pms file host.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:42:45 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »
Wow, you have ruined arena, sorry. The left edge is gonna slow down. People will just stay high along the left bottom, now there's that floating bit. The middle way down is too wide, too open, same with right middle->low. The only good part is up. I think what you were trying to do is round out and make the map more open, but that's just no arena.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:33:17 pm »
Wow, you have ruined arena, sorry. The left edge is gonna slow down. People will just stay high along the left bottom, now there's that floating bit. The middle way down is too wide, too open, same with right middle->low. The only good part is up. I think what you were trying to do is round out and make the map more open, but that's just no arena.

Just what I thought when seeing this map. This map needs the original layout with a few tweaks, but not like this remake.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 05:33:30 pm »
More room, less fun. Tight is better. Original doensn't need gameplay update, except maybe team spawn changes.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:02 pm »
On TM survival, the alpha side got some disvantages:
If you stay camping on respawn, you got pwned cuz its easy for bravo to spray there.
If you rush mid on islands, bravo got some protected spots and some open possibilities to use law ricos.
If you get way down, the bravo b***h can get there faster and will kill on sight, camping protected by a collider.
If you get upper route, the bravo just send a hella spray on your head and got a nice upper spot to shot law or barret.

Cant explain better, but any spot that Alpha got, Bravo can go there better protected, faster, stronger, harder...

That said, here \/ we got some poly bugs too:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:38:56 am by biohazard »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:34:40 pm »
I like the new tunnel in the bottom part. IMHO that dead-end wasn't very useful before. I like the fact that low is less flat, also the top-right ledge. I don't really like the theme (well, it looks nice, it's just there are enough other generic "grass'n'earth-themed" maps), but it definitely looks better than lifeless grey-brownish polys.

Personally, I don't mind the remake at all. Sure some things are different from original, but changes aren't that critical and overall it's still Arena.
But I guess it can't be helped that people here are so picky about changes. :/ Either way, I hope that this remake will be tweaked in such a way that it has both visual and gameplay improvements and would satisfy most players.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:40:44 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »
Improvements based on my +6 years playing this map and of course on the brazilian TM scene.
I didn't do anything without one good reason.

- Now with default waypoints (need fix).
- I reduced the spaces between the middle polys and at the top and bottom right.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline s0uLx

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »
nice :D

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:27 am »
nice try, but no cigar.
You can improve all you want, but you just don't have what it takes to make another arena. And that green thing is not arena.
Also, the awokado (looks like it) texture is most definitely not a suitable one for arena, which is more stone cold crazy than warm mother nature-like.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:12:54 am by Horve »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:39 am »
He chose a new theme maybe?

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53:35 pm »
Better now? or not?
(unfinished)

[pic removed]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:27:38 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 05:06:37 pm »
Pitch-black doesn't look good on those lower polygons, use something a little lighter. Other than that it does look a lot like original arena but then again..
original arena looks dead and boring, and even this version of the remake still has some of that left. But maybe finished version will look better.

As for layout - I have no complaints. Nice changes.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 03:16:15 am »
There are half dozen arena like maps in dm maps and I do prefer look updates in general. However, I don't want to see original theme changed in Arena, and into that theme grass, bushes, trees and all other living things don't match. You can use cols, barrels, barbwires, camonets, railings, etc.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 03:01:56 pm »
Top route looks possible to control with a rett due to it being open. Center left, the little ledge, is gonna slow down people going on left and will making spawning easier and I still think the middle>down rout is still to wide same for right hand side. I do like the rounded out polys though, help stop bugs, the map just needs to be tighter like original.

Improvements based on my +6 years playing this map and of course on the brazilian TM scene.
I didn't do anything without one good reason.

- Now with default waypoints (need fix).
- I reduced the spaces between the middle polys and at the top and bottom right.
Your 6+ years are only 6 years of your own experience, and what YOU want according to your post

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »
In this new version I feel a lack of depth that was present in the old version. You have plain graphics and almost no shading. The background scenery stuff is made in a bad way, don´t place same scenery with same angle and same opacity next to each other, it looks like c&p (what it actually is). The color of the scenery is matching the polygons in a very good way. Respect for this, it´s hard to find matching colors and scenery for a light map in my experience, so good job.

Since I am no TM/DM player I can´t really refer to the actual gameplay but I hope my opinion as a mapper is worth being noticed :)

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:42 pm »
I like 2º duz remake, but Alpha team is still at some disadvantages. red marked area is useless.

SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 06:48:07 am »
Visual downgrade, no texture stretching at all which looks plain among with the smooth colors.
Wooden cols, grass and other junk doesn't fit at all.

Some layout changes you made are cool, but atleast put the old set of sceneries back.
The loss of oldschool visuals hurts a bit, but otherwice I might approve it.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 06:58:40 am »
Updated
Compare with the old screenshots posted.
Download link updated too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:18:23 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:16 am »
It looks odd anyway, try stretching the texture at least one time.