Author Topic: inf_Highlands  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
inf_Highlands
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »
Ive been playing infiltration in pubs the last few weeks, and most pubs use alot of custom maps, which is pretty useful for finding some good custom maps. One of the most popular custom maps on pubs and IMO one of the most fun ones is inf_Highlands. This can be considered as default map.

http://soldathq.com/map/download/inf_Highlands/

Thanks to darkcrusade for overview.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:31:06 pm by Poop »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

DarkCrusade

Re: inf_Highlands
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:20:16 pm »
Here you go, I attached the overview of the map for you in this post so keep it coming ;) It´s a very nice map and makes infiltration addicting.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:23 pm »
its basically this kind of map that hold infiltration back. You basically run run run and then get sniped. and then you repeat the process.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:47 pm »
That´s not true Zakath, if you play rather good you´ll know how to evade the rets and kill them with nades/hk.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:27:53 pm »
Just ran map through, I haven't played the map. But it felt okay, slightly defender prefering.

Question is: Is map worth default if it's good but very ordinary inf map?

Imo, map isn't any original. Good mix of Outpost and Moonshine though.

Default maps should be unique to each other, that's why I say light no for this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:37:30 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »
I would remove outpost and add this instead, if you really think that its too similiar to outpost. Outpost is one of the easier infiltration maps to defend on, whereas on this its way harder due to the fact that the entrance into low route is right next to the flag. I think this map is both more balanced than outpost and more fun.

And zakath, seriously? Like I mentioned, I played this map about 100 times over the past few weeks, and if it were really run run run snipe repeat, then you can be sure I would not even suggest it. And if that really were the case, then it probably wouldn't be one of the most popular custom inf maps.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »
I can swear that this was a official map in 1.4.2.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:02:11 pm »
Well, SuoW, try to find something that hasn´t been done before. Try to shape any base and I will find a map that looks a bit like yours. Originality shouldn´t be a factor for choosing a map to be default or not :) Imo you should add those maps that keep a gamemode interesting and addicting. Play some matches at a public infiltration server and you´ll understand ;)

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
I can swear that this was a official map in 1.4.2.

Yes I was mistaken also, since every infiltration server is running it on its list. Heh
-Albert Einstien

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 04:42:03 pm »
I would remove outpost and add this instead, if you really think that its too similiar to outpost. Outpost is one of the easier infiltration maps to defend on, whereas on this its way harder due to the fact that the entrance into low route is right next to the flag. I think this map is both more balanced than outpost and more fun.

Agreed, after Messner and Rescue, Outpost is the worst inf map...

Well, SuoW, try to find something that hasn´t been done before. Try to shape any base and I will find a map that looks a bit like yours. Originality shouldn´t be a factor for choosing a map to be default or not :) Imo you should add those maps that keep a gamemode interesting and addicting. Play some matches at a public infiltration server and you´ll understand ;)

If it's done already, its not original, not worth default. Let's not be stypid here, of course map must be good too. Just for you DC, made it tonight ctf sketch, have fun looking for a match =).

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:02:13 pm »
This night is going to be long ... nice layout :)

Offline Cake

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:17:29 pm »
I think the blue base needs to be a bit easier to get out of..
Often, I am late 1 or 2 seconds when chasing the efc.
An extra 1 or 2 seconds would let me actually get close to the efc.

Usually by the time I reach the 2nd bridge [One closest to Red's base] of the map, the efc has already descended down the hill and is fly towards the flag.
[Assuming I died just as red captures the flag]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:26:20 pm by Cake »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:01 pm »
I edited this map by removing the poly thats covering the veretical route in blue base. its a good map, and yes its better than outpost imo.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:07:34 pm »
My major concern about this map is medkits on red base. They are picked up very rarely simply because you don't need them when you spawn with full health. Because of that medkits just stack there. Reds don't use them, blues can't reach them. Middle of the map could really use some medkit spawns though.

I agree that this map isn't the most original, but it's still fun. Definitely better than some current INF maps.

- Outpost isn't a bad map. It has its interesting parts (like flag throwing tactics). In my remake some of the issues are fixed, so I hope you'll give outpost one more chance.
- Rescue is filled with polybugs but gameplay is decent.
- Messner can be fun sometimes, but the layout, low jet fuel, colliders and camping sceneries (or rather, lack of those) have many many flaws. Messner is the map I suggest should be replaced by Highlands.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:09:54 pm by L[0ne]R »