Author Topic: add "markers" to demos  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
add "markers" to demos
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:14:53 pm »
every time I see some soldatmovies I think of the huge amount of time I would need to search through my demo-collection and pick the right scenes to make a movie.
so I came up with this idea:

how about some kind of "marker", bookmark or how you want to call it which you can add to your demos?
I think about an approach like this:
- you play soldat with demos activated
- you get some mega-uber-kill
- you press the "marker"-button on your keyboard (which you configure in the options/config)
- inside the demo-file a small "marker" will be added exactly at the same timestamp you pressed the button
- so when you afterwards watch this demo-file you can skip the useless action in the beginning and jump right through to your mega-uber-kill by pressing some "jump-to-marker"-button (like "right-arrow" or something). and of course you can add new "markers" while watching the demos too.

this would need some sort of rewrite for the demo-format of course but this will
- help making movies
- let you show others some special action in your demo
- be great for the competitive scene because you can set "markers" at every great action, capture, pause, whatever.

something you need to consider is the managing of these "markers".
how many can you add to one demo?
if you can add them, can you delete them as well?
how do you manage the deletion?

some more things which come to my mind:
- maybe add some "marker"-file to every demo-file which you can edit with editor and which contains the "markers" with the exact timestamp. with this approach you could add and delete the "markers" without even playing the demos. problem here: you now always have two files you need to send to others (if "markers" are added to the demo). then how about integrating the "makers" to the demo-file and providing some small tool which let you open the demo-file and manage the "markers"?
- every flag-capture a "marker" will be added automatically

what do you think about this idea to improve the demo-feature?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:17:40 pm by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
Re: add "markers" to demos
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:56:50 pm »
Can't be done. Afaik soldat demo files and managing them will stay as they are. Unfortunately

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:03:22 pm »
Can't be done.
ehm...what? I'm not asking for any modding, scripting or stuff. this is just a suggestion for enesce to think about it and then maybe code and implement it. why shouldn't it be possible? and I'm not talking about v1.5.1 either. since it got auto-update, such updates will become easier.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:56:47 pm »
if you set auto record in the config and set your demos to 2-3 mins length it isn't really that much of a hassle... your only going to save demos you want anyhows.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline SyavX

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 03:09:34 am »
In fact, autorecord function should be improved too.
Because, as far as I remember, it records not the last X minutes before F8 pressed.
It records X-minutes intervals into buffer autodemo.sdm file and when you pressing F8 it saves game dump between last interval and current time.

Example:
Autorecord time is set to 3 min. You've started playing, recording started too. After 3 mins of playing you can see the "autodemo saved to ..." notice. 1 minute later you made a supa-dupa kill, pressed F8 and... as result you'll get 1 minute length demo record instead of 3 mins.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:09 am »
if you set auto record in the config and set your demos to 2-3 mins length it isn't really that much of a hassle... your only going to save demos you want anyhows.
thing is... the 2-3 minutes can expire during a killing sequence or whatever you wanna save. resulting in a lost demo. so you must set recording time to 99 and then just end the demo when something you wanna save happens.

it should be like syavx says, record it all, and when you press F8, it cuts the demo at F8 point and then autodemo length time backwards.