Author Topic: CTF - Mission Improbable (& MI: Redux) Map(s)  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
CTF - Mission Improbable (& MI: Redux) Map(s)
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:35:51 am »
C T F     M I S S I O N      I M P R O B A B L E     ( v 1 . 0 b )

My third map! Releasing this as is to get some suggestions and changes in without needlessly updating it in tiny increments. It's my usual two-base CTF maps, Save the sewers connecting
the two sides are a lot more.. Branchy-offy than my usual mapping style.

So far it works well enough, Though bots still need some tweaking and the odd ramp-base has polybug. Another current annoying feature is the flag carriers deciding to stop and man
STAT guns they run across. (I think the code itself should be changed in the next SOLDAT to fix this.. Basically if <x> has flag then <ignore STAT gun clinging behaviour>)

Let me know as usual what to fix and what could be added and I'll see what I can do.

D O W N L O A D     L I N K S :

TMS: http://tms.jrgp.org/2010/index.php?download=1513

SkyDrive: http://1qdaga.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pR1va3JF24AUDKa3VsduRN8TNIs7oO8_V_RrRyiS9_TSobyV_raJNjj_-JEygVXtji_bVpm2rHecLQzEPHO-RSnWB0RL4eLRk/CTF-MissionImprobablev1.zip?download&psid=1
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:11:57 am by Dr.DR4IG »
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: CTF - Mission Improbable
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »
OK, this would be good some years ago, but now it's way too HUGE! Probably there are some routes that will never be used.
I think this is 4 times the size of the maps for x5. I'll test it and say more (someday).
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »
I think this is 4 times the size of the maps for x5. I'll test it and say more (someday).

Wait.. You're saying it's too large and no one will take certain paths.. ..BEFORE playing it..? :O

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:49:54 pm »
Those black blanks are lame. Stretched polygons will do the trick I guess..

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:58:19 pm »
Those black blanks are lame. Stretched polygons will do the trick I guess..

Mebbe but they're really not all that noticeable when you're running away from 4-6 persistant bots. Still, Will see what I can do. I think I was pushing 700 polys last I checked :P It's a shame it takes twice as many polys to make lots of flat areas :P X3

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:14:39 pm »
It'd be a lot less noticable if they weren't there. Also, the background does not change the colour of the polygons outside the sewer. Strange.. :P

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:18:26 pm »
I like to think of playing this map with 31 other bots. I would need a hug otherwise.

Must, having, constant, fighting.

Anyway, the visuals are uber spiffy.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »
It'd be a lot less noticable if they weren't there. Also, the background does not change the colour of the polygons outside the sewer. Strange.. :P

Unno what you mean by changing the color..? But suffice to say the remake won't have those gaps. Polylimit or no. XD Speaking of which, I originally thought the polylimit was 400, But I've gone up to about 750-something without issues. IS there a set limit?

I like to think of playing this map with 31 other bots. I would need a hug otherwise.

Must, having, constant, fighting.

Anyway, the visuals are uber spiffy.

I was playing it with about 24 actually. But they do need work. As is, I'm redoing the map a bit. Making it a bit tighter, With more gradual slopes. I'm beginning to notice 45 degree blocks and 90 degree blocks don't work together (Polybug when trying to run from the flat end to the sloped end.)

This map will still be here for the meantime, But I'll be releasing the remake shortly. :P Less branchy, Gentler slopes (Should be no polybug, Or very little bounce at least!) and built more with bot pathing in mind. (Less vertical jetpack required areas) In the meantime, I suppose this map could be reserved for those running LARGE servers.

Speaking of which, Should I just tack the remake of this map and new snapshots/Overview to this thread, Or start a similar thread elsewhere? I don't relish starting a FOURTH map thread. I've only been here for a week or two afterall..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:40:39 pm by Dr.DR4IG »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:29 am »
There are no limit for polygons, but above 2000 will just be a competition for lagfuhrers.

Visuals are soft, yet so hard, I like your style.
You make your sceneries/textures by yourself?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 02:49:45 am »
I'm beginning to notice 45 degree blocks and 90 degree blocks don't work together (Polybug when trying to run from the flat end to the sloped end.)

Tryed fixing via invisible polygons already? Boosts your polygon count, but it's still worth it.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:43 am »
There are no limit for polygons, but above 2000 will just be a competition for lagfuhrers.

Visuals are soft, yet so hard, I like your style.
You make your sceneries/textures by yourself?

Keenage. Was worried the limit'd be something like 900 or such. I doubt I'd go past the 600-800 range max tho.

Yup, I do make my own textures and sceneries. Been messing with graphics and mappers for all manner of games. Is sorta a skill though in some cases if I can't get something right texturewise I might cheat by heavily modifying a background element from an old 16-bit game, Or combine small elements thusly like a grill or vent with my own work. For the MOST part I do my own though.

Tryed fixing via invisible polygons already? Boosts your polygon count, but it's still worth it.

Actually I haven't yet tried that technique. Not tried it yet as I wasn't sure if it was some magic trick of the editor, Or if it would require me making a 'transparent' band in the texture for the map.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 03:52:47 am »
You only need to change the opacity of a polygon to 0. I'd colour them all in one colour to be able to select them all at once later - if needed.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 07:22:04 am »
This looks waay too big but I really like your visuals. Those clouds can catch some FPS. P.S what a name for bot  ;D  (Dildo Teabaggins
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:24:25 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:38:41 am »
This looks waay too big but I really like your visuals. Those clouds can catch some FPS. P.S what a name for bot  ;D  (Dildo Teabaggins

Yus, As I mentioned a couple posts above I've pretty much redone most if not all the map to be smaller, Tighter since. Just have to get it packed up in another halfhour or so. And this time the bots seem to know what the heck they're doing..

And yeah.. I have this habit in any game with bots you can configure of giving them punny names. I think Dildo had a companion bot, Samdumb Gangrene or somesuch..

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:13 am »
Rerelease this map when LinkDead is out. It would really fit for it.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 11:39:56 am »
Rerelease this map when LinkDead is out. It would really fit for it.

I hadn't actually heard of this till you brought it up. Looks marvvy.

Yup, Here it is: Fixed smaller, Gentler-sloped version of this map.. Mission Improbable - Redux!

D O W N L O A D     L I N K S :

TMS:         http://tms.jrgp.org/2010/index.php?download=1515

SKYDRIVE: http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pwcyhKdsPV5QO1rW3o_tvfq7ccJyXOcHq-RA3rStWUmftbBbR4jn1Sp7_Afj__1T3kLp5eZQYZHS1oO74fV00_g/CTF-MissionImprobablev2.zip?download&psid=1   

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:49:29 am by Dr.DR4IG »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 01:51:19 pm »
Damn, man, I like the redux.

I took your first version home, waypointed it and fixed all the polybugs just to playtest it and tell ya what I thought. I'm glad you beat me to it though, 'cause the first version was a pain tbh. Very glad you took out the complex bottom route stuff.

Man, you even made the top and middle routes come together in the middle! Nice.

While fixing up the first version, I recorded some snippets in Polyworks of me fixing polybugs and doing waypoints. I don't see too much point in posting them now.

I'll download this version, and if I see anything blaringly obvious in the waypoints or with polybugs, I'll make another couple videos.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:54:01 pm by Blacksheepboy »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 01:43:16 am »
This was like the map best update ever introduced to forums.soldat.pl.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 07:48:12 am »
Woa, really nice udpate! Now there aren't useless routes, and almost everything is playing. Really good work!
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:44:54 am »
Nice looks/style, though lights are too flashy.

I prefer much smaller maps. But for big it's good, working layout, all we need is mega crowded server.