Author Topic: CTF - Retroid Norfair  (Read 8513 times)

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
CTF - Retroid Norfair
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:53:21 pm »
C T F     R E T R O I D     -     N O R F A I R

Super-Huge Preview Overview :D

Sort of decided to release the RETROID map I was mentioning on and off. Pretty straight-forward map. Before someone complains, I wanted the bots to occasionally skim and fall into the pits. Other than that, This one should be ready for on OR offline play..

D O W N L O A D     L I N K S

* EDIT: Forgot to mention, The foreground bubble cover is just that.. Collider-driven cover. Should be
   easy enough to spot with the eye though for the most part. They're darker than the 'terain' bubbles. (I always loved those particular areas of Norfair in METROID..)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:37:12 pm by Dr.DR4IG »
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: CTF - Retroid Norfair
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:00:37 am »
You're making maps very tight  :) . Your style to do is making very lot straight lines. Maybe you should in next time try to make your map more knotty  ;) .  I don't mention that I don't like this map, but in long  timespan they are starting to bore people. :P at least me. (They don't bore me yet[I'm talking about that straight-line-style]) But anyway, good map again, but those bubbles are little bit weird. :)
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:13:54 am »
You're making maps very tight  :) . Your style to do is making very lot straight lines. Maybe you should in next time try to make your map more knotty  ;) .  I don't mention that I don't like this map, but in long  timespan they are starting to bore people. :P at least me. (They don't bore me yet[I'm talking about that straight-line-style]) But anyway, good map again, but those bubbles are little bit weird. :)

You're the only one complaining so far, And if you want 'knotty' as you put it, There's the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of maps already out and being made by others that you can play. My style is not likely to change to suit one or two people any time soon. :P As for the bubbles, As it mentions in the map's description this is a NORFAIR metroid map. Nuff said.

EDIT:  Okay, NOW that I've had my coffee I can be a bit less bit--y..

Basically what got me into mapping in the first place was a lack of any maps that were nicely scened *AND* didn't look like the random jumble of polygons most maps seem to be. I tend to like smooth maps of buildings, ruins or strange facilities as opposed to 'Generic broken landscape with farmhouse version c-gamma'. I am leaning more towards making more maps like CRYPTS which had a mix of manmade and 'natural' landscape. As I said, If people get bored, There's always the ton of existing maps, And all the generic-land ones being made every two-three days at the TMS.

Don't get me wrong though.. Maps like MAYA2 and such I do enjoy.. But there's already a hundred and except for the filename and the odd map where someone's bothered to put more than a few stringy trees in, They're pretty much identical in appearance. I just don't want to be yet another mapper making yet more generically-bumpy-terrain maps. There's enough good mappers right now doing the organic thing. :P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:47:00 am by Dr.DR4IG »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:26:38 am »
You really got angry.. :P But of course i'm not telling you what to do, it was just my view.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:13 am »
People dont care that much about appearance than they care about layout. If people in general say your maps are boring, theyre talking about layout.
And I agree with the Winland lad above, it's starting to seem like you chuck out a new map everyday. Visuals get new ideas yes, but layout and structure repeats over and over again.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:18:37 am »
You really got angry.. :P But of course i'm not telling you what to do, it was just my view.

I toned down my 'angry' on the edit at the bottom portion of my post.

People dont care that much about appearance than they care about layout. If people in general say your maps are boring, theyre talking about layout.

And I agree with the Winland lad above, it's starting to seem like you chuck out a new map everyday. Visuals get new ideas yes, but layout and structure repeats over and over again.

Because as I mentioned above every mapper doing maps right now is DOING the bumpy-organic-thing. These are not exactly the kind of maps my friends and I relish playing because as I argued they're good, Yus, But every last one is beginning to play the same. I mean, There's like 20 MAYA or LAOS clones as is. :P

The other reason for my crankiness on the post this morning is the fact I had to read the post about 5 times to understand what was being said, And it wasn't the most creative of criticism. For instance, When Blacksheepboy has given me advice or suggested changes, They've usually cited a few maps, Designers or examples to look at for inspiration. This would be an example of good creative criticism.

But above all, I just map the way I do to have an alternative to the generic stuff. :P Maps like NORMANDY, CRATER and the like are more than good enough maps in the 'usual' style by other mappers, I just don't want to make yet more exactly-the-same style maps as everyone else. :P

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »
Your motivation is indeed impressive, keep it going and hopely in long run more new mappers would join.

Firstly, I like your fresh new styles and your skills with texture & scenery are very great.

Your layouts seem pretty good also. This map would be another example of hyper basic 3 routed map with some route twisting without the tunnel that leads for the flag/player spawns which make this map actually pretty interesting. Propably it'll suffer about same thing that Lanubya bases: one way in, one way out, which leads into awkward movement first go left then go right and all enemy shooting at you.

Nicely designed smooth movements, felt pretty nice running through the map. Felt bugsy though, so you should have more focus on polygon structure. In addition you got straight lined ---------------- ground which causes extra bounces, so you don't have to curve your lines a lot but just very little. Good Job! Though I prefer smaller :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:08:06 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:32 pm »
And I agree with the Winland lad above
Thanks for the fit of laughter  :D  .
I toned down my 'angry' on the edit at the bottom portion of my post.
You still got angry. :P
But every last one is beginning to play the same
Not EXCATLY same, but yeah, well, same :D . But it's good that someone's haves as fresh style like you do, but as I said, it's not staying very long fresh. At least if you do this:
you chuck out a new map everyday
But it's fine that you are  industrious. 
Firstly, I like your fresh new styles and your skills with texture & scenery are very great
I agree.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 01:58:21 pm »
If you're going for art, cool! But if you're trying to satisfy the CTF players with a good map to play on, I think you fell a bit short. This map would be a nuisance to play on with how the bases are setup and as Suo said, the one way entrance/exit. That itself makes this map boring. You mention about being different... but no offense, you're layout is pretty generic, overused, and much of the same as other maps. I'll give you kudos on the visual aspect though.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 02:00:58 pm »
  • Your motivation is indeed impressive, keep it going and hopely in long run more new mappers would join.
  • Firstly, I like your fresh new styles and your skills with texture & scenery are very great.

I am seeing a lot of good remakes/reskins here and there of the classic maps, Taking advantage of the features in the newer version and that makes me happy, As well as seeing new maps with good use of scenery. I really have to thank the author of the 'big scenery' tutorial. Between that and my existing knoledge of texturing and such, I've been able to have a lot of fun with scenery, Being an artist at heart. X3

Your layouts seem pretty good also. This map would be another example of hyper basic 3 routed map with some route twisting <b>without</b> the tunnel that leads for the flag/player spawns which make this map actually pretty interesting.

I don't know whether you mean to keep the tunel of do something else with that space. Believe it or not I redid that one section about 5 times before I settled on that layout. I was trying to balance between making a 'themed' map on the classic Nofair area of METROID, Staying true to the 'feel but keeping in mind the fast-paced gameplay..

Propably it'll suffer about same thing that Lanubya bases: one way in, one way out, which leads into awkward movement first go left then go right and all enemy shooting at you.

When I started mappingfor SOLDAT I had come from years of mapping for other Counter-strike or quake like games. A lot
of my maps tend to be geared towards how my brothers and friends play at our lans since we got into this game.. Holding 'bottleneck' areas to help basically control the midpoints. From what I've gathered though people seem to prefer more run-n-gun situations with a chance to prove their accuracy and skill at moving/dodging. I'm starting to move more in that direction..

Nicely designed smooth movements, felt pretty nice running through the map. Felt bugsy though, so you should have more focus on polygon structure. In addition you got straight lined ---------------- ground which causes extra bounces, so you don't have to curve your lines a lot but just very little. Good Job! Though I prefer smaller :)

I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by my polygon structure.. I'm gathering either you mean more detail (Less sharp angles, More GRADUATING angles..) or whether you mean making more or less low and height difference in the terrain itself..? Like trenches?

As to the slopes, I'm beginning to round out my dips and such now a bit more. In my own play I tend to roll on landing from heights or jussst approaching a slope to emerge into a jump-sprint after so I tend to design my slopes for how I run through these areas. I should FRAPS a video to explain what I mean.. :P

You still got angry. :P

Indeed I did, And for that I apologize.

- But every last one is beginning to play the same

Not EXCATLY same, but yeah, well, same :D . But it's good that someone's haves as fresh style like you do, but as I said, it's not staying very long fresh. At least if you do this:
you chuck out a new map everyday
But it's fine that you are  industrious.

I consider this my learning period. I really only started mapping a couple weeks ago with great trial and error. Thus why the lonnng replie and quotes and such. I'm taking the time to learn and curve my style to match what the desired results are..

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »
Could you stop using bold letters all the time? It's freaking annoying.

I'm running at 1600x1200 here. If I 'enlarge' the page it throws the alignment out of place. If there's a way to change the 'view' forum font, Please tell me rather than freaking out? That's what PMs are for. :}

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:50:15 pm »
Well - uhm - sorry :P (removed)

I think you will sooner or later run out of layouts. All those straight tunnels are rather boring and easily campable. There is only one entrance to the base and the top route looks like it'll be abandoned for most of the time. An EFC running top can be easily attacked by following enemies so he'll rather take the middle route.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »
Well - uhm - sorry :P (removed)

Quite alright. XP Having so much space is useful, But it does mean I have to squint at things sometimes. If there is a way to change the font on jut this forum it'd be easier. I'll try to avoid the bold.

I think you will sooner or later run out of layouts. All those straight tunnels are rather boring and easily campable. There is only one entrance to the base and the top route looks like it'll be abandoned for most of the time. An EFC running top can be easily attacked by following enemies so he'll rather take the middle route.

Yeah, That's why I was sprinkling the grenade spawns where I did. You can usually nail a camper/Defender with a good nade or at least get them to back up allowing you an opening to rush. But that's just me. XP My biggest worry is ending up making a clone of another map without realizing it, But it's hard to come up with a good layout that isn't symmetrical. :P I hate a map being more geared towards one side over the other..

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:57:06 pm »
Where did bolded font go? It was so awesome :x
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:22 am »
I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by my polygon structure.. I'm gathering either you mean more detail (Less sharp angles, More GRADUATING angles..) or (...)
It's something like that.

Polygon structure would be how you make the same landscape with different set of polys. It's interesting how you can split a poly in the right place, maybe a little overlap, and the map turns to be more flowy.

I really hope you know the difference between looks and layout. You are saying that the general look of the maps are the same grassy stuff, and we are I am saying that your layout it's very basic, but your looks are different and cool.

I don't like one way to the flag maps, but the spawn placement seems good do avoid RK.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:08:39 am »
Polygon structure would be how you make the same landscape with different set of polys. It's interesting how you can split a poly in the right place, maybe a little overlap, and the map turns to be more flowy.

I really hope you know the difference between looks and layout. You are saying that the general look of the maps are the same grassy stuff, and we are I am saying that your layout it's very basic, but your looks are different and cool.

I don't like one way to the flag maps, but the spawn placement seems good do avoid RK.

Yeah, I was trying something different there. Since my last post been working on going back to the idea I had with CRYPTS but trying to fix a few things flowwise. Sneak peek follows. I still have a few things to tweak, But it's currently 3:00am and time to pass out. X3

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 03:16:32 am »
That looks hellawsum.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 04:37:55 am »
That looks hellawsum.
Agreed. U really have skills to wake interest
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 05:32:50 am »
nice nice, that background on the right was taken off link dead :p ?

i always was looking for a RPG Soldat Mod , like for Excample WoW like or just Soldat with levels and skill which would require some scriptings and mapping skill like you have i suppose.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 05:59:24 am »
I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by my polygon structure.. I'm gathering either you mean more detail (Less sharp angles, More GRADUATING angles..) or whether you mean making more or less low and height difference in the terrain itself..? Like trenches?

Polygon structure

Your current style causes much polybugs that can be easily fixed by changing polygon structure. At least for the future keep focus on not having not needed polygons on playground, basically rule of thumb is that more you got polygons on playground more it will cause polybugs. Another thing is overlapping the corners as Im showing in picture.

Ill upload pic about straight line issue later, maybe.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:01:48 am by Suowarrior »