Author Topic: CTF - GEOTHERMAL (B Release!)  (Read 6164 times)

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
CTF - GEOTHERMAL (B Release!)
« on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:35 am »
C T F     G E O T H E R M A L     ( B E T A )

Sick to the point where I can't really move today so it'll be a couple days before I can fix the bot routing on this, But at least it's up to the point it's playable for now anyways. So give it a run through as usual and I'll modify and change it where need be. :P As is, The bots are overpointed because I think I copypasta'd some somewhere by accident. (There's no way in hell I should have gone THAT far past 500.. D:)

Anyways, Typical small design, Blablabla, Texturing, Bla. :} I'll fix the atrocious bot waypointing better once this bloody cold or whatever I picked up goes away. :P

D O W N L O A D     L I N K S :

TMS LINK!
SKYDRIVE LINK!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:26:26 pm by Dr.DR4IG »
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Re: CTF - GEOTHERMAL (B Release!)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:22:31 am »
this flag looks again really  nice, but i would like to suggest that you should make your maps MUCH smaller so that they can be played for 3on3
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:39 am »
You should make inf maps, lots of 'em.
Also, I suggest you apply for a mapping position in LD.
b&

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:35:55 am »
if you dont know what "LD" is - its the new Game the Soldat creator is currently developing see here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfctsFJ2FyQ
or http://mm.soldat.pl

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:00:04 am »
I don't like that you just mirrored the city. It's lame and looks bad.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:23 pm »
Woa, this is more deeper than longer. THAT'S new, special :) .
you should make your maps MUCH smaller
Agh, this is medium size, it's enough small. Of course it could be smaller, but this is good. This can be played too 3v3, probadly the best in 6v6. I missed my point so i'm not writing more :(
Agreed.

But otherwise it looks and plays good

Ohh, and I forgot to say, that that flying space-things scenery file is missing.  :|
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:41:27 pm by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:42:34 pm »
@Monsteri believe me this map wont work out for 3on3.

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 12:56:36 pm »
@demoniac: The INF gamemode provides opportunity for mission-style gameplay, and Dr.DR4IG might be good at that.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:47:08 pm »
Nice old-school platformers look. But layout is messy and definitely is way to complex for normal soldat.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 01:59:11 pm »
believe me
Maybe.. maybe not
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 02:59:37 pm »
Bad thing when you are having very special scenery in the map, it looks stypid to see everything twice/mirrored. But ye stunning looks again.

I agree that map's layout won't work as it's right now. The majority of player spawns are at very top, very far from flag which makes it damn hard or pointless to even try defend the flag. It would be much better tactic to just steal enemies' flag first and then get lucky return first and cap. I hate such cat & mouse play.

The flag place itself is possible to be defended if the player spawns would be near of it, there are three routes that can be used for getting the flag, basically two main routes.

Whole top part of this map seems to be pretty pointless and doing only bad for the play.

Changes I suggest

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 04:53:30 pm »
 I'm sick and bedridden here, But will see what I can do about answering all these messages here..

this flag looks again really  nice, but i would like to suggest that you should make your maps MUCH smaller so that they can be played for 3on3

@Monsteri believe me this map wont work out for 3on3.

The majority of my playtesting alas has to do with our LANGames here (Usually 4v4 games or 8v8 if we add bots) or by the bots which aren't the brightest things in the world even when pathed well. (Watch them try to run over lava for instance.. :P) People are forgetting though that I gave full permission to release 'versions' of this map to suit whatever gameplay or style they're going to play them on. I just build them with our own server here in mind usually.

I tend to make most of my maps for the 4v4 to 6v6 size range, Or if I'm gearing my maps more towards offline play I'll attempt to make maps for 32 people. (A lot, I know! :P)

I know right now the community online is small-match oriented, But I don't play online much. The connection here's not the best to game with, Especially with 3 people in the house using it. (Whether I play small games like SOLDAT or big ones like A.V.A I get massive lagspikes. so not the best online :P)

For now though, Asteroid-S and Facility should be more than good 'nuff for 3v3 or 4v4. It's just rather difficult to focus on a 2v2 or 3v3 layout without it dissolving into a similar layout to every other 3v3 or 2v2 map out there. I suppose I COULD make asymmetrical maps. (Flipped horizontally AND vertically as opposed to just horizontally..)

INF maps bug me as one team's constantly defending and one constantly attacking with no switching-up in between but that's my own personal dislike of sitting on defense too long. If there was some way to move the defenders around once in awhile, Or to force the attacking team to camp once in awhile, It'd be more up my alley. (Like maybe switching the location of the 'attack' flag every so often..)

As to LinkDead I unno, Sounds too much like work though I'll look into the game first. If it's more strategy-based it might actually be more up my alley since I like capture-and-hold point style play..

if you dont know what "LD" is - its the new Game the Soldat creator is currently developing see here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfctsFJ2FyQ
or http://mm.soldat.pl

Yus, I was pointed to this earlier a couple times but when I looked through it I couldn't find a DL or trial link at the time to try it out. RL I'm pretty poor (I rely on fixing pcs and rigging technology for folks and stuff like that to pay bills. :P) so I don't even HAVE bank online or anything like that. If there's a trial or beta somewhere I'll definately look into this as it sounded almost Shadow-runnny from the hacking/defense standpoint. And I used to be a pretty kickass Decker back in the day.. <g>

Nice old-school platformers look. But layout is messy and definitely is way to complex for normal soldat.

Woa, this is more deeper than longer. THAT'S new, special :) .

I was going for a horizontal style map like my other smallish ones, But people see it as being vertical. Basically the upper half of the map was meant to be thought of as one BIG path to the other side. Basically focused on defending the upper path (Which I see as being the 'easiest' to run through with the flag) between the guns up there and the couple of spawns.

Agreed.

Bad thing when you are having very special scenery in the map, it looks stypid to see everything twice/mirrored. But ye stunning looks again.

Yeah, The bugger is I'm currently using two large 1024x1024 sceneries for the bottom (Lower background stuff and 'lights/flora) and one for the upper level (1024x1024 background for the destroyed building & background city elements). I tried to keep the size down by making the background tiles 256 color indexed but the transparent layer one (For the skull lights, Plants etc) needed to be full-color PNG to preserve the alpha as best as possible, This was due mostly to BMP not doing 'smooth' alpha fades for lights and PNG acting the same if bumped down to 8-bit. I COULD redo the scenery for three parts (BMP flora to avoid that stupid 'white halo on edges'), a PNG layer (For the fog & light fades) and the 256-color background but itd have to wait till after I'm over this nasty cold.

Most of my mapwork I spend time working on the terrain and look before finally copy-flipping it to the RIGHT side (Or left.. Though usually I work left-to-right when I map :P) I'm obsessive compulsive so things that aren't PERFECTLY even annoy the $%^& out of me.

Ohh, and I forgot to say, that that flying space-things scenery file is missing.  :|

%^&*! I always end up missing one. I'll update the archives shortly for that.. For now the same image can be found in the FACING maps..

I agree that map's layout won't work as it's right now. The majority of player spawns are at very top, very far from flag which makes it damn hard or pointless to even try defend the flag.

Actually, The spawns were placed in such an order that even in a 4v4 game it was rare that I ended up being spawned at the topmost spawns in the pelican(s). Without those 4 spawns tho, Having the two on the top, And the other 4 below (Near flag & near lava) actually didn't run that bad in my own tests. The 4 spawns in each Pelican were really more of an afterthought, Added last to give people a place to spawn from in larger than 4v4 games. It'd be nice if 'priorities' could be placed on things like item/player spawns to influence how often something spawns there, Though the way I have it so far seems to work, Or I've just been lucky so far. XD

The flag place itself is possible to be defended if the player spawns would be near of it, there are three routes that can be used for getting the flag, basically two main routes.

What I had in mind was defense actually. The two camoflaged stat guns (One near the middle plat to each flag) were to help defend the two middle routes in mind, While the two initial upper spawns (City level) and the stat guns there were meant to defend the large 'uppermost' path. I actually moved the uppermost spawns around a few times to try and balance it so that no matter which path a carrier was on, The layout and bottlenecks would allow players to 'cut them off' further ahead or at least set up a defense along the most likely routes.

At any rate, I'll put out a REDUX of this one with the major changes and a revision of the existing one with some scenery changes as soon as I'm better able to sit up here.

(LAUGHS!) And forgot.. The whole goal of this map was to try and fix my habits with polybugs. No one mentioned if I'd finally gotten that aspect right or not.. I know the base still has a couple (Flying at the wrong wall.) but I have yet to figure how to make 'flat' areas like bases and other manmade structures polybug free perfect. Hopefully the land itself is better than my old attempts to make organic land.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:56:28 pm by Dr.DR4IG »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »
@Dr.DR4IG you can find Link Dead Test here: http://mm.soldat.pl/downloads/Link-Dead%20Deathmatch%20Test

an public alpha version is on the way to come out soon.

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »
@Dr.DR4IG you can find Link Dead Test here: http://mm.soldat.pl/downloads/Link-Dead%20Deathmatch%20Test

an public alpha version is on the way to come out soon.

Many thanks, This should give me something to mess around with while I'm ill. And just updated the archives to include the missing scenery. Sorry about that folks. XD Sorta ickdead over here lol. At least my controlpad reaches the futon from the PC :P I really, Really can't sit up. XD

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 05:15:55 pm »
Why don't you use Soldat MPA? It's a simple way to keep track of your last map updates and to make sure not to miss something out.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 05:34:43 pm »
Why don't you use Soldat MPA? It's a simple way to keep track of your last map updates and to make sure not to miss something out.

I didn't know about this before but it is a lot easier than packing them by hand. Thanks.

Starting to make the two splits off this map. A REDUX without the top half entirely, And a revision of the current setup with only one spawn instead of four by each pelican, The other four moved lower down closer to the flag. With only two or three spawns in the upper half, The flow should work a bit better.

Also as to making INF maps, It sounds like a good idea, But I'd like to find out more about scripting first. If it's possible to script goals or events into the maps I make, It could prove to be better for INF play. :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:12:43 pm by Dr.DR4IG »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 07:57:24 am »
Hmmm, good point.
Ever tried playing inf_Cannibal or inf_Ponutehdas (Or whatever it's name is) ?
Those are just 2 of many examples of maps were Alpha is sometimes forced to camp and remove a few bravo obstacles before moving to the next choke point.
b&

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 11:40:11 am »
Hmmm, good point.
Ever tried playing inf_Cannibal or inf_Ponutehdas (Or whatever it's name is) ?
Those are just 2 of many examples of maps were Alpha is sometimes forced to camp and remove a few bravo obstacles before moving to the next choke point.

I tried those this morning actually and Cannibal I like. I can see where people would see having to constantly push the bravo team up the field can be hard but when I talk about choke holds and pushing objectives this is what I meant EXACTLY.. Basically a map play where both teams are active rather than most of the map being spent with alpha and bravo trying to get from their spawn points to the middle of the map :P I mean, They still do have to reach the middle and all, But both teams have to work to hold that area in order to proceed with holding or attacking.

Personally, I would have included a 'drop down' path to the bravo flag from the roof about halfway along that last cave's roof, But that's just me.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 06:06:05 am »
Sick visuals
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 07:24:26 am »
Sick visuals

Thanks. Look doesn't make quite everything though. ;} I'm kinda sick in bed but I'm slowly but surely tweaking a few things on this map for the small-match crowd (Basically a separate 'redux' of the map like I did for Improbable..) And trying to rework the backgrounds around a bit for a couple of people annoyed by the mirroring when I can here.

Just updated the archives a bit for GeoThermal since I'm feeling a bit better. Moved the majority of the upper-level spawns to the lower levels, Fixed bot waypointing a bit better and changed up the upper-level scenery a tad more. Still working on Redux.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:27:38 pm by Dr.DR4IG »