Author Topic: What achievement are you most proud of?  (Read 7066 times)

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
What achievement are you most proud of?
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »
I was asked this today, and had trouble answering. Not because my life is full of many great achievements. Quite the contrary, actually: I had trouble finding any one thing I had done in life that I was actually proud of.

What about you, soldatforums? Is this an easy question for you? Are you proud of the people you've interacted with, or something you've created? Please share with me.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
Re: What achievement are you most proud of?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »
The two achievements that immediately spring to mind (and that might have been my answer at an earlier time) are my being the wrestling conference champion during my senior year in high school and my becoming an Eagle Scout before that.  The former means that my name is forever on the wall of my high school gym (on a "Legends of Grafton Wrestling" board), and the latter is a pretty big deal that very few scouts accomplish.

However, having recently earned my degree in software engineering and landing a fantastic job, I have to say that now my biggest accomplishment is being successful.  I have a high-paying job at a time when ANY job is hard to find, I have a place of my own, a vehicle of my own, I'm already saving for retirement, and, all things considered, I'm doing darn well for a 22 year old.  That's my greatest achievement.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »
I was a photographer at my friend's Eagle Scout ceremony. When we were younger he would always complain about scouts, but he seems really happy about sticking with it for as long as he did. Certainly something to be very proud of! Glad to hear of your general success as well.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 02:04:05 pm »
Thanks, but what are YOU most proud of? You said you had trouble reaching a conclusion, but do you have one now? Come on man, share!
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 02:12:01 pm »
I recently won a cover art contest for my college's literary magazine. That's about all I can think of, but I don't feel very proud of it. The picture I took was a generic and uninspired photo of a flower. It feels too tiny to be my proudest achievement.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »
Generic idea, maybe. But that's a very nice photo!
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 02:17:24 pm »
I'm proud of:
 - TMS, of course. I set out to murder SML's market share and I have indeed done that and more :D
 - Making a somewhat popular online flash game site when I was around 11 that's still going strong - http://jrgp.org
 - My rewrite of FLAB's Soldat server rentals code - http://rentals.u13.net
 - My linfo app - http://linfo.sf.net
 - My CMS that powers http://soldat.thd.vg and http://link-dead.thd.vg among others
 - The position I've reached in the Soldat community
 - The friendships I've made with people here
 - The LDAP auth code I wrote that this installation of SMF uses
 - Making my two ex gf's say that I had a much better personality than their terrible ex bf's
 - Various other computer stuff
 - Amassing a gigantic amount of old snes/nes/gameboy games/consoles
 - eh, probably more stuff I'm too lazy to think about now
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:21:14 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »
- Making my two ex gf's say that I had a much better personality than their terrible ex bf's

If their boyfriends were really terrible, this shouldn't be much of an achievement... <_<
Gamer_2k4

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 03:01:55 pm »
I recently won a cover art contest for my college's literary magazine. That's about all I can think of, but I don't feel very proud of it. The picture I took was a generic and uninspired photo of a flower. It feels too tiny to be my proudest achievement.

Just a bit underexposed? Was it with a macro lens or tubes or something else?
--------------------

I'm proud that I will never be satisfied with my life. At first, it might sound negative, but actually it's probably extremely positive. Everyday I look forward and although I wouldn't say my past was amazing, I am always optimistic that tomorrow will bring a better day. I always look for new things to do, and even if I'm not amazing at the things I do, I have fun with it and always try to get better at it. Learning new things also brings a new network of friends and activities to do. Everything I do is an achievement to me, whether it's a personal reason or just feedback on results.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 03:15:34 pm »
Just a bit underexposed? Was it with a macro lens or tubes or something else?

Standard 18-55mm kit lens. I file I uploaded was a resized raw, but I touched up the saturation and contrast for the contest. I'm addicted to contrast tweaks when I shoot digital.

I'm proud that I will never be satisfied with my life. At first, it might sound negative, but actually it's probably extremely positive. Everyday I look forward and although I wouldn't say my past was amazing, I am always optimistic that tomorrow will bring a better day. I always look for new things to do, and even if I'm not amazing at the things I do, I have fun with it and always try to get better at it. Learning new things also brings a new network of friends and activities to do. Everything I do is an achievement to me, whether it's a personal reason or just feedback on results.

Not many people can say this. Being able to look forward to everyday life is an achievement itself!

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:35:52 pm »
Up to this point, it's probably finishing high-school with a 92% grade average, and a couple of sport tournament medals. And making it to a decent college.
And I'm also proud that I've been living off of my own money the past 3 years.
b&

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
Standard 18-55mm kit lens. I file I uploaded was a resized raw, but I touched up the saturation and contrast for the contest. I'm addicted to contrast tweaks when I shoot digital.

Nice. I'm fairly new to photography myself. I tend to oversaturate my photos, even when I edit it on Camera Raw. I guess those are the pictures I like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerichz/5656331618/in/photostream

Nikon D5000, 30mm Prime on f/1.8

Nice weather is approaching and I found a bunch of photo enthusiast to travel around to random places and take shots. It's definitely a new experience since I'm not great at it, but I'm looking forward to it.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 02:22:56 am »
  • Creating most of the payment and administration systems for my uncle's company's website.
  • The work I've done on Soldat PolyWorks.
  • Getting into the Soldat dev team (and later probably also all the bugs I will have fixed ;)).
  • People asking me instead of my teacher for help in programming class.
  • Bringing my social skills up from almost nothing to what they are now in about 3 years.
  • My life in general and the direction it's heading in.

My life seems to be heading in the direction I'm aiming for and that would mean I still have a pile of achivements to unlock. :)
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
I have many nice memories and such, but I dont know if I would label anything a signifigant achievement.

Although reaching diamond league in starcraft 2 while drunk was awesome.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:39 pm »
Socially:
A few blackouts and drunken stupors. T'was fun. [plays "Best time of my life"]
Successfully managing my three/four personalities- familiy, friends, internets, (publics) and still not breaking down from stress.
Having an +10 perversion aura. Works great with anyone close to me for more than 2hrs.

Scholarship:
Some good results on most competitions. Nothing special though.
Being an excellent student with almost no work put into it.

Hobbies:
Started photographing. A few awesome pictures i took with a craptastic camera.
Working with a few guys on an online/forum WHF role play, from the basics, to make it as close to an rl rp, but more realistic and dynamic.

Internet:
Mod on a forum, sciency and untrelated/alt. stuff subforums.
So much illegal stuff on my hdd's.

There might be some more stuff, but i forgot it probably.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:19:18 am by croat1gamer »
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.