Author Topic: M79 Coop Climb v1.2.0  (Read 11995 times)

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
M79 Coop Climb v1.2.0
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:37:42 pm »
Sup guys. You may or you may not have heard about it, but I've been working on a new gamemode, called M79 Coop Climb. It has come the time for it to be unleashed! Here follows a small FAQ about it. If you just want download links, go to the end of the post.

What is "M79 Coop Climb"?
It is very similar to original M79 Climb; what changes is that you have a partner, and you both have to help each other to get to the flags.
For those who don't know how M79 Climb works, it is basically the following: you have inifinite grenades and two flamers (not M79s, :P) that shoot M79 bullets. Using the explosions, you must pass the customized map to get to the flags and thus finish the map.

How does the partner thing work?
Like this: after choosing your partner, each of you will randomly join a team. In the map there are certain polygons that can only be hit by your partner, and certain polygons that only you can pass. At the end of the map, there are two flags (one for each of you). Each partner must capture their respective flag to finish the map.

For those who didn't get the polygon system:
In a partnership, there are two players: one red and one blue. The red player passes through light-red polygons and his bullets and grenades hit the dark-red polygons.
The blue player passes through light-blue polygons and his bullets and grenades hit dark-blue polygons.

Here are some GIFs that explain what I just said:

Blue player can't pass ligh-red poly.

Blue player passes through light-blue poly.

Red player's bullets hit dark-red poly.

Red player's bullets passes through dark-blue poly.

Seems confusing? At first, it is a bit. But you'll get used to it in no time. :P

How do I choose my partner?
At the beginning of all maps, all players go to a "waiting room". They can only get through that room by forming a partnership. To choose a partner, you must type !Buddy <fragment of player's name>. With that command, an invitation is sent to the chosen player, who has to answer it with one of the following commands: !Yes or !No. Obviously, !Yes confirms the partnership and !No declines. By accepting the partnership, both players are moved outside the room and each one randomly joins a team. Then the game starts for them.

GIFs of the waiting room:

You can't leave the waiting room without a partner.

Forming a partnership.

Special thanks for those who helped to make this Gamemode: knF, As de Espada, Volk, Chuckjr and all the players who helped testing the script and the maps; HackTank for the function IDByName; CurryWurst and DorkeyDear for the function Explode; Muz for helping me create this last GIF. :P

~~

M79 Coop Climb Gamemode
  • Version: 1.2.0
  • Original idea: knF
  • Lead programmer: Squiddy
  • Co-programmer: As de Espada
  • Map developers (so far): Squiddy; As de Espada
UPDATE! Verson 1.2.0
Fixed a major bug that didn't allow to write more than one score.

Download: Attachment

Weapons.ini: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13375204/Soldat/weapons.ini

Note: File does NOT include maps! Download mappack here: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=42509

~~

I guess that is it. Any suggestions/doubts/bugs are welcome! Use this topic for those matters.

Cheers!

Edit: There are currently two servers running this gamemode if you want to play: M79 Coop Climb (mine, not always online) and M79 Coop Climb US (As de Espada server, always online: 107.22.235.132:23073).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:23:23 am by squiddy »
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: M79 Coop Climb v1.0.0
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:46:38 am »
Really cool! It is fun to play, and sometimes it's like a puzzle.
More maps are in progress.

There is a youtube video of me and Squiddy beating m79_coop_As in 190 seconds!
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Naliz

• Soldier
    • R/S Community
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »
Damn cool idea

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:48:01 pm »
Damn cool idea
Thanks!

I've re-uploaded the file because of a map change. You can download it again for the better version. :D

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »
Awesome game mode  :)
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:28:34 am »
Pretty fun. Maps are a bit too long in my opinion (mapmakers tend to create harder maps for the good players, but currently there are mostly newcomers).
One urgent suggestion: Why do you use the flamer as weapon? There's a bug connected with it, as shooter you see your bullet exploding in midair while it actually travels further. In some situations you need to aim very well, but this way you can't see your bullets' destination at all. Maybe use an other weapon, maybe even bow if you don't want it to be droppable.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:36:17 pm »
Pretty fun. Maps are a bit too long in my opinion (mapmakers tend to create harder maps for the good players, but currently there are mostly newcomers).
One urgent suggestion: Why do you use the flamer as weapon? There's a bug connected with it, as shooter you see your bullet exploding in midair while it actually travels further. In some situations you need to aim very well, but this way you can't see your bullets' destination at all. Maybe use an other weapon, maybe even bow if you don't want it to be droppable.
I understand you, brother, and easier maps shall come. :)

I am aware of that bug and that it is most annoying. I've already reported it to Shoozza at the bug tracker website, and hope it will be fixed by next version. Reason for flamer: When grabbing to a wall and you shoot it with a proper M79 to go up, you go down instead. With a flamer you go up. But I understand your critic and I will deliberate over it for a time. I'll do some testing over some weapons. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Edit: I've been doing some testing and I *probably* will make a new version of this script where you will use M79s instead of flamers. Not decided yet, though. Thanks a lot for the suggestion again! :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:59:25 pm by squiddy »

Offline Spotix

• Major
  • Shut up! I just give my sentimental side!
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Spotix
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 04:59:36 pm »
Nice nice i search a long the script on forum and other shit but i found nothing... and today i see a he have now released the scripty<3

I think i make next month a coop climb server...:D

Thank a lot squiddy =)

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:55:01 am »
So there's co-operative m79 climbing now? I thought M79 mode itself was tits, now this is just stirring my genitals with pleasure over the capacity it can withstand. Very nice. Soldat has never been this puzzle before.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 04:49:21 pm »
Nice nice i search a long the script on forum and other shit but i found nothing... and today i see a he have now released the scripty<3

I think i make next month a coop climb server...:D

Thank a lot squiddy =)
You are welcome! Thanks for your support :D

So there's co-operative m79 climbing now? I thought M79 mode itself was tits, now this is just stirring my genitals with pleasure over the capacity it can withstand. Very nice. Soldat has never been this puzzle before.
Hahahaha, I'm glad you're using my script to pleasure yourself!

~~

I updated the script! Attachment updated! :D

Offline AL

• Major(1)
Re: M79 Coop Climb v1.2.0 (UPDATED!)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:27:45 am »
This has proven to be a very fun (if sometimes frustrating) gamemode to play. The maps contain some unique ideas and make for some interesting gameplay.

It must be said however that the maps so far seem to have quite a bit of repetition in them, which can easily turn the challenge in the map to grindy dreariness. While I can appreciate that you're trying to give both players exposure to each of the two roles in passing a particular obstacle, I think it would be simpler and "better" to just replay the map and swap teams with your buddy, instead of repeating the same obstacle with inverted positions. It would also help diminish the issue of maps being somwhat long.

Also worth mentioning are the use of kill polys in this gamemode. Sure, they do add another element of challenge to the map, but the way it affects the rage-meter (especially towards the end of a map) doesn't make it so valuable in my eyes. To counter this, I would suggest implementing some kind of checkpoint or save system to allow you to quickly skip to the obstacle containing kill polys. I know that this will probably screw with your scoring system, so that will probably need to be disabled upon using /load in a playthrough, but I think this is the only practical way for the more casual players to actually be able to finish a map, which can be quite a motivating experience when it happens (if it happens).

And finally, the only other major drawback is the long(ish) waiting times for a partner. I usually organize to play with a friend, but at other times, there are wait times of over 15 mins minimum before another player even joins the server (and usually those who do join will leave after being unable to figure out why they are trapped in a tiny box). To make for a less boring waiting period, perhaps you could add a solo "mini-climb" section to the map (perhaps at a charlie/delta team spawn) that players can attempt while waiting to get a buddy for the main attraction. The only other way I can think of to minimize boredom while waiting for potential teammates is to have a second "normal" (climb) server where you can !buddy up and be redirected to the co-op server.

(I know this has become a bit wall-of-text'y, but bear with me for a bit longer)

To avoid ending on a negative note, I would like to say you have done a very good job coming up with this new gamemode, and thankyou for releasing the script. Even from my quick look-through, I've already learnt a new trick from your code. Hopefully I can find a few more when I do a more in-depth reading, hehe.

And btw, merry christmas to anyone who celebrates it.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
Re: M79 Coop Climb v1.2.0 (UPDATED!)
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:39:12 am »
(IN REPLY TO AL)

My code still looks messy in this one; it could do a lot better! :P The only function I'm actually proud to present is writetopcapper().

First of all (or second, I dunno), thanks for the review! I just looove in-depth reviews, and never thought I woud receive one on this gamemode (tbh, I didn't even think it would become as known as it is now :P)! There are some topics I will definitely ponderate about, and give a lot of consideration into.

But, there are some I will not consider, e.g.:
1) Checkpoints and /load - The main reason I won't implement this feature is because of the rankings. Also, I dislike it very much. On the first version of M79 Climb (the single one :P), it had the /save and /load features. Later, I realised it is not worth it. It takes a lot of effort to make it work correctly, and it ALWAYS have some little bug. Although I liked how you thought of some way it could take less time to complete the map, I don't think this is the right way to do so. I really liked your suggestion about getting the maps shorter though. I will definitely talk to As de Espada about this one. Thanks!

2) A "interactive" waiting room - No. That's why M79 Climb is there for. Plus, the purpose of the waiting room is the following: it should allow players to see everyone who's in it (so they can choose whoever they want), and give players anxiety to stablish a partnership. If it were any different than it is now (boring and ugly, I admit), I belive it would distract the players from the main course, which is getting a partner. Plus, I prefer not giving Flamers and grenades to players while they're in the waiting room, because, again, it could distract them from the real thing, and they could try getting through walls, etc..
I really liked your idea of forming a partnership in another server and redirecting to the Coop server. Unfortunately, I believe the only M79 Climb server is mine (and it's offline because of the holidays and such), but I will DEFINITELY do something that works like this when I turn it on again. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, aside from what I just mentioned, I will give a lot of thought into your other suggestions. So, thanks a lot for them! I really appreciate the time you took to write this :D
You said too it takes a long time for someone to join the server, which is actually true, but the brazilian Coop Servers (there are two, but mine is offline currently) usually have people in most part of the day. If you are lucky enough to buddy-up with an english talking player, you should be good to go :P

Thanks again for the review! I really liked it! Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:41:04 am by squiddy »

Offline AL

• Major(1)
Re: M79 Coop Climb v1.2.0
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »
No worries; it feels like I've written so many of these "reviews" lately that it's almost natural now. And since you appreciate my feedback so much, I'll make sure to send some more your way once I manage to play a bit more.

As a side note, perhaps you could use hurt polys as well in your maps; they are more forgiving than kill polys, but also carry a sense of urgency with them. (Damn, just remembered that your script disables damage  :| )

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 06:40:20 pm »
No worries; it feels like I've written so many of these "reviews" lately that it's almost natural now. And since you appreciate my feedback so much, I'll make sure to send some more your way once I manage to play a bit more.

As a side note, perhaps you could use hurt polys as well in your maps; they are more forgiving than kill polys, but also carry a sense of urgency with them. (Damn, just remembered that your script disables damage  :| )
It disables all damage, except from the damage dealt by the script and the death polygons.

Plus, hurt polys are nearly useless when you have flamers and grenades to jump above them :P

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
@Al thanks for the suggestions. As I make a lot of these maps, I'll take care of the repeating thing.
P.s.: we do think A LOT about the deadly polys. They must not be so early in the map so players won't stack on each other.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »
In general I prefer repetive obstacles with inverted roles because this makes the mode really team-based.
Two notes about the script: Everytime the map changes you're teamchanged so the map isn't loaded for you. Perhaps you can fix that, setting players to their teams a few seconds after the map was loaded, or something like that.
Second, I usually end up "dropping" and therefor losing my weapon for 10 seconds when I use !switch.

Waiting eagerly for the next maps to beat.

Offline AL

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »

It disables all damage, except from the damage dealt by the script and the death polygons.

Plus, hurt polys are nearly useless when you have flamers and grenades to jump above them :P

I suppose that means hurt polys which don't collide with bullets are not in existence yet...

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »
Two notes about the script: Everytime the map changes you're teamchanged so the map isn't loaded for you. Perhaps you can fix that, setting players to their teams a few seconds after the map was loaded, or something like that.
I've been thinking exactly about this. You can wait minor changes like this in the next version of the script!

Second, I usually end up "dropping" and therefor losing my weapon for 10 seconds when I use !switch.
I guess that should be a connection problem. Sometimes, in As de Espada's server, when my partner dies, I get two messages warning he died, and in my server it shows only one, so.. Lag. :P

I suppose that means hurt polys which don't collide with bullets are not in existence yet...
Unfortunately, not. I will, though, suggest changing poly types in PW to work with both collide and doesn't-collide with all poly-types. :P

Offline AL

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 12:41:18 am »
A probably unintended "feature" of this gamemode is when the server is rather heavily populated, you can easily boost yourself off another partnership and basically skip a whole section of the map (which I've shamelessly done on a few occasions  :P). If you wanted to "fix" this from happening, I guess you could add a check in the OnPlayerDamage event to see whether you're shooting off your partner, and tp/kill/warn you if you aren't.

Another minor thing I noted was:
when you capped, it would say "Player 1 e Player 2 are the winners" or something like that, so you may need to check through the script to see if there are any other language bugs present (since this was originally written for another language from what I understand). IIRC there was another one somewhere in the !swap function, but I'm not too sure about that one.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 12:47:01 am »
A probably unintended "feature" of this gamemode is when the server is rather heavily populated, you can easily boost yourself off another partnership and basically skip a whole section of the map (which I've shamelessly done on a few occasions  :P). If you wanted to "fix" this from happening, I guess you could add a check in the OnPlayerDamage event to see whether you're shooting off your partner, and tp/kill/warn you if you aren't.
I don't think that'd be a good idea.. Players are usually beginners, and that helps them getting through some parts. Tbh, I do believe it is a good thing :P

And, in the future (probably not in the next version), I will rebuild the entire language system. Both me and As de Espada agree that it is really messy >.<