Author Topic: ctf_aftermath  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
ctf_aftermath
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:52:31 am »
Hi everyone :]
Today I'd like to show you the new map i made. It's quite small (I think 3v3 is max) and very fastpaced. The tunnel going through the island is OPC same as the bridge.
What do you think?
ctf_aftermath
By Viral

(^Click To Get Hard^)

Screenshots:

Download / Rate on TMS

See more maps by Viral

Hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: ctf_aftermath
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:20 am »

I haven't played on it yet.

But man, you're map is gorgeous! :)

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:06 pm »
Thx :] And as always, if you have any suggestions feel free to post them :>

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »
Great I love the grey , death  atmosphere , simply awesome ! 10/10
Also just a question has it waypoints ?
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 05:02:19 pm »
There're no waypoints, i could try to WP it, but right now i dont see the point, who plays with bots anyway? ;)

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »
There're no waypoints, i could try to WP it, but right now i dont see the point, who plays with bots anyway? ;)
The map is awesome , but I can only play it on SP cause all the servers are using old maps , so there is a very low change of ever playing it in MP ...
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 05:44:15 pm »
Meh, I don't play soldat anymore, so i don't even know how exactly the situation looks like, but I'm aware of the fact no one would probably play on it :p.  If i could I'd fix/redo all of the default maps, but as far as i know, there's nothing that need my "help" :< I just like mapping but waypointing isn't the part I enjoy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:24:54 am »
This map looks like an evil bear's face. Also it looks awesome. :D It might look even more awesome with rain.
It's a real shame people are so afraid of hosting custom maps.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 06:20:48 am »
Visually your maps share a common very good looking style. polystructure wise you could get a habit of overlapping a bit more when you place the polygon instead of trying to fix the polybug afterwards by patching as it easy to miss some because of your own running style etc.
Layout wise its quite flowy though the secondary spawn is quite bad, generally you want to have spawns that allows you to reach all paths with ease.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:22:18 am »
I was thinking about adding rain, but it looked weird, because the rain's particles go through the polygons, making the map flat and less "physical" (at least i have that feeling). About the polystructure, I know it's bad and I even noticed it way before. Nobody however was complaining about it, probably because no one was playing on them ;d I'll try to do my next map the way you describe, we will see how it goes :]
Also I'm happy you like the visuals :]

@edit: About the spawn do you think i should remove it or move it somewhere else?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:41:22 am by Viral »

Offline Maekl

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »
I'm in love with the visuals, good job.  :-*

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:02 am »
This map is really good.

It's very simple and traditional since there are no sliding, bouncing, inverted flagspawns or a beam mid map where you're supposed to throw the flag through. Still it stands out, simply because the map is well made. It looks good and it feels good moving around the map. Also it's really action packed in a 3v3 realistic mode game.

I don't think you should change anything about the spawns or flags. They're all good where they are.

As a general point I agree with Zakath that you should always try to overlap the polygon connections. There wasn't a particular polybug which gave me trouble when I played this map but as always when not using overlapping polygons someone will get a polybug sooner or later and it could have been avoided by the map maker.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:18:50 pm »
Glad to hear that it feels fastpeaced and full of action , because these were my main goals when creating this map :]
And as I said if i plan on doing another ctf/dm map I'll try to overlap the polies, but the biggest problem with it is the fact that when you use smaller poligons overlaping then usually doesn't help at all, or even makes things even worse (sometimes it even doesnt fix the polybugs on bigger polygons :<) so I can't promise it will be bounce-free or even to be better than this one for example, it mainly depends on the layout/size. Sadly characters in Soldat are quite grumpy in that aspect, and they like to bounce of everything they can :p At least from what you said it's not as bad as it could be xB

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »
...but the biggest problem with it is the fact that when you use smaller poligons overlaping then usually doesn't help at all, or even makes things even worse (sometimes it even doesnt fix the polybugs on bigger polygons...
That's very true.

Making thing smooth takes trial error and a lot of testing. And there is not a magic recipe that will works for everything.

I'll help you with polybugs Viral. Just do your magic with your awesome visuals. :)

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 06:44:29 pm »
this map has been added as a custom map to Soldat Realistic League @ sctfl.net

Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens