Poll

Do you support this suggestion?

F12 Yes :)
F11 No :(

Author Topic: Affecting reload time  (Read 6774 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Affecting reload time
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:36:00 pm »
Rolling, backflipping and nading delays your reload time. Relistically it makes sence because you only have 2 hands, but it just feels buggy because you can't predict your reload time.
Barret is not so affected by this because you normally don't reload your gun, it's just the long interval between shots, wich is unaffected by any of this.
The spas is also affected when proning/unproning, and "shooting" evnen when you're out of ammo still stops reload.

Perfect example of frustration:

<bowllet> when im playing
<bowllet> and my m79 is reloading
<bowllet> i have like 10 people shooting at me
<bowllet> and im dodging everything
<bowllet> but the thing is my m79 barely reloads because of all the flips
<bowllet> it's annoying

<MrBungle> when  i spas boost i waste all my ammos just to get to the ennemy base
<MrBungle> because it usually only reload one pellet in all that distance

I suggest that rolling, backflipping, nading or proning/unproning will not affect reload time!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:46:03 pm by homerofgods »

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
Re: Affecting reload time
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:44:51 pm »
Rolling, backflipping and nading delays your reload time. Relistically it makes sence because you only have 2 hands, but it just feels buggy because you can't predict your reload time.
Barret is not so affected by this because you normally don't reload your gun, it's just the long interval between shots, wich is unaffected by any of this.
The spas is also affected by proning/unproning, and "shooting" evnen when you are out of ammo still stops the reload.

<bowllet> it's annoying

<MrBungle> when  i spas boost i waste all my ammos just to get to the ennemy base

I suggest that rolling, backflipping, nading and proning/unproning will not affect reload time!
well this a choice either you reload or switch weapon or you dodge/roll/backflip etc.
this would remove that aspect of the game.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:46:59 pm »
The spas is also affected by proning/unproning, and "shooting" evnen when you are out of ammo still stops the reload.

<bowllet> it's annoying

I suggest that rolling, backflipping, nading and proning/unproning will not affect reload time!
well this a choice either you reload or switch weapon or you dodge/roll/backflip etc.
Yes it would. If you vote yes to this you should be aware that it will change gameplay a bit, but I believe it's for the better. Just imagine what it would mean to M79-climbing
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:49:13 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:48 pm »
I support this for proning, but definitely not for nade throwing. I'm not sure about rolls and backflips...

I'll leave this unvoted for now.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:44 pm »
I definitely wouldn't want boosters to see moving around with no one to touch them, and still being able to kill like hell.

It's just what zakath said, you either flip and backroll or you choose to reload.

If this would get passed through then spas boosters/runners will win this game everytime.

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »
I definitely wouldn't want boosters to see moving around with no one to touch them, and still being able to kill like hell.

It's just what zakath said, you either flip and backroll or you choose to reload.

If this would get passed through then spas boosters/runners will win this game everytime.

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:26:15 pm »
This isn't a question of weapons balance. If spas is too good after the change we'd just nerf it in other ways.
It's about removing an annoying aspect of gameplay. If you try the barret you can see how good it feels that nades doesn't affect your reload.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:33:58 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:40 pm »
Hello,

I support the general idea, but I would like to give some specifics and info.

I'm not sure if the poll is really relevant, as you put every animation "in the same bag". What are you supposed to vote if, like Fryer, you agree with part of it?

An obvious issue I see is the nade throw. Removing its use as a mean to cancel reloading is currently a no-go--the reason being is that spas users need it when they are in close combat and can't afford to reload between every shot.

I strongly support the points you made about the other animations.
By this I mean:
  • prone
  • unprone
  • roll
  • backflip
  • shooting when out of ammo

Let me try to illustrate this with a couple of animated gifs:

In these animations I empty my weapon and then start running while holding the reload button throughout.

The first one is a string of jumps:

As you can see here all is working smoothly and it takes about 3 jumps and a half to reload the weapon.

Let’s see what happens now if you use prones:

It now takes about 7 jumps to reload. (This is twice as much as when doing simple jumps!)

Let's try with backflips now:

Once you start flipping as the gif is showing: It never finishes reloading!
(You could literally flip like this for an eternity and not see any reloading happen at all).

I'm not going to record every single animation as I think these examples are already pretty obvious and illustrate the point well.

Just a word on this observation:
..., and "shooting" even when you're out of ammo still stops reload.
I can tell this is pretty frustrating. When you're out of ammo in the middle of the action, it's quite easy to miss--time your reload tap and become an easy prey for your enemies. I think this mechanism is cumbersome and unnecessarily complex. Fixing this would probably be a trivial tweak that would bring immediate beneficial results.

I would like to answer the fears that were being raised by DutchFlame in the following post:

I definitely wouldn't want boosters to be moving around with no one to touch them and still being able to kill like hell.

It's just what zakath said: you either flip and backroll, or you choose to reload.

If this would get passed through, then spas boosters/runners will win this game every time.

First off this is not an issue centered around boosters/runners; it concerns every player who likes to use animations--such as rolling, proning, and flipping in their gameplay. And I don't see how we could blame them, as these movement are the salt of the game. Bringing to the gameplay the aesthetics of action-movies was what Michał Marcinkowski, the creator of Soldat, intended.

I understand your concern, though. You're concerned that these modifications could give more "edge" to runners who are notorious to use more movement animations than defense-oriented players would.
Rest assured, that would not happen. And the reasons are quite simple. Here are a few of these:

-Animations such as rolling and back-flipping prevent the player to shoot with his/her weapon (chainsaw being the exception to that rule. Note that the chainsaw got rid of the need to reload several versions ago anyway). They also prevent changing weapons and throwing nades/knives.

-Performing backflips requires facing backward. Quite a disadvantage when rushing. I think you'll agree.

-Runners (in order to chain backflips/cannon balls and prones/prone cancels) are constantly crossing their gostek with their mouse pointer. As a result they have to keep their pointer in the center of their screen. More defensive players can keep their pointer at the edge of the screen, allowing them to see incoming enemies faster.

Now I guess the choice is in your hands. Are you for removing some unnecessary frustrations from the gameplay, or are you blinded by fears of imaginary unbalance issues? 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:32:53 pm by Bistoufly »

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »
I think that only these two should stop reloading:
backflip
rolling
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06:25 pm »
Damn, accidentally voted Yes.

I think it is fine as it is, gameplay would be seriously affected by this, and probably not to a better path. My vote stands on F11. :(
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 01:03:06 am »
I think that only these two should stop reloading:
backflip
rolling

I don't think that this is a fair way to sum up your conclusions.
Why keep the reload time separate from dodging/rolling/backflipping instead of choosing to integrate them together? After all, reloading and dodging are binded in a cause and effect relationship where reloading causes a player to start dodging, since s/he is the most vulnerable to death during reloading. Since these two things are meant to go together (logically), I think it's best for them to be merged as one aspect of the game rather than two separate, rather annoying, ones.

This won't just give fast flagcapping boosters an advantage, it will benefit everybody who plays Soldat, as HaSte explained above.

Since HaSte provided some examples of how professional gameplay with the Spas is hindered by rolls and backflips, I thought I would provide another weapon example in which these two movements hinder and aggravate gameplay.

This first gif shows the regular reload time for m79, without interference. ~3 seconds

This is a gif of the reload time while flipping. ~6.5 seconds

Now take a look at the reload time for m79 while rolling. ~8

The time it takes to reload an m79 while rolling is 8 seconds (7.91s to be precise), which is more than twice the amount of time it takes to reload an m79 without interference.
(Note: The gif is sped up 200% because it was too long to be a gif otherwise, which, as a statement itself, already proves it takes too long to reload an m79 while either backflipping or rolling. The timer is also sped up accordingly.)

Then again, it's not realistic for a person not to be flipping or rolling while his/her m79 is reloading anyways; consequently, the m79 reload time is longer than it should be in competitive matches or even pubs, which is leaving players vulnerable for far too long.

Getting rid of the interference of reload time will truly be a benefit to all the players of Soldat and will increase the pace of the gameplay as well; this will ultimately transform the premise of Soldat into a more competitive and fast paced game - something that almost all shooting games don't have (because of constant campers).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:17:38 am by iAmBullet »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:20:47 am »
I might agree that it's ok to delay reload when you are throwing a nade. But backflipping, rolling and proning does not need to delay reload.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 09:38:53 am »

Agreed. I think of this as a strategic aspect of the game that forces you to think of what and why you're doing even a bit.

the m79 reload time is longer than it should be in competitive matches

What are you basing this on, experience or because it neatly supports your idea? M79 hasn't been a problem in competitive as far as I remember. Definitely not underpowered at least.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:46:32 am by Dusty »

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 10:16:18 am »
the m79 reload time is longer than it should be in competitive matches

What are you basing this on, experience or because it neatly supports your idea? M79 hasn't been a problem in competitive as far as I remember. Definitely not underpowered at least.
I'm basing this off of how I feel in games, gathers and public servers together. As I'm sure there are many other players like me, I'm a player who likes to do a lot of flips and rolls to increase either my mobility or deceptiveness. The m79 reload time is actually a huge issue to me because every millisecond counts and, although it may not seem like much, every millisecond of my reload time being hindered from a roll or a flip matters. It's true, m79 hasn't been a problem in competitive because there's nobody who mains m79, or uses it as their "go-to weapon", per se, because it's not reliable when it comes to survival. The regular reload time is ~3 seconds, but most of the time when I'm in a match, every reload time is ~4-5 seconds, so it's not an ideal weapon for me as opposed to automatics or Spas.

All I think is that there's no reason for reload time to be halted during the rolling and flipping animation along with the fact that it's an annoying aspect of the game. Removing this would definitely benefit gameplay imo, and if this change happens in the new version, don't go thinking that everybody's going to become an "m79 noob", since the same problem that happens to the reload of m79 applies to any other weapon as well. m79 is just a good example to use.

Can you give me any examples of how this might server as a detriment to gameplay please? I'd like to hear just for knowledge.

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 10:42:07 am »
When I asked MM a few years ago to tweak exactly this, he challenged me find a scene in a movie where someone reloaded while rolling. I still haven't found one. I kinda sorta agree with him now though, as with the current system you have to make an active decision whether a situation calls for dodging enemy fire or reloading faster.

So unless anyone can find a video of Arnold reloading during a roll as he takes down a small South American country, then I'm inclined to keep it like it is. =)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 01:08:35 pm »
Not while rolling but close enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGo6b9J2Cks
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:49 pm »
The only reload I saw there occurred while running. It's clear to me that she prioritized the reloading speed instead of dodging.

Try harder.

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »
@Skoskav: With logical reasoning, I assume that your're basing whether this change should be made or not from how realistic it is, as it's technically not realistic to reload while rolling; however, in this video you see the person shooting while flipping/rolling or w/e the hell he's doing, which is not something even a few people (probably) can do in this world.

I just want to know this so I don't keep bothering the community about the issue, but what are the possible detriments that cancelling the disruption in reload time during flip/roll animations might bring? I think that this should only be a feature in realistic mode, but I'd like to hear your reasons too.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:04 pm »
There isn't a single movie that shows a guy rolling and reloading at the same time, but shouldn't we be worrying about the gameplay instead of how realistic this is? If MM wants to decide stuff he can come here and tell us!
I mean, realism doesn't hurt, but only if it isn't a pain in the but. There's a reason why I'm playing this game instead of bringing out my M79 in reallife :p Not that I have an M79, but my point is that realism isn't allways fun.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:57:47 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 04:27:51 am »
So unless anyone can find a video of Arnold reloading during a roll as he takes down a small South American country, then I'm inclined to keep it like it is. =)

Would Stuntmen reloading their gun while flipping make it for you? =)

Special Thanks to Bullet for finding these gems!
Original Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAaUE5Eqpmw

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:36:40 am by Bistoufly »