Author Topic: can there be a campaign for this game ?  (Read 3359 times)

Offline armadyl5

• Major(1)
can there be a campaign for this game ?
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
i dont know how hard is it to make or if its not necessary for a multiplayer mass killing game . but could there be a campaign for soldat . it would be freaking awesome to have missions and stuff instead of killing only . soldat is fun but i think the campaign would be a great addition to the game ...

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: can there be a campaign for this game ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »
If the devs are up for it, I would be happy to help in making this.
It's obviously something that Soldat lacks.

Offline armadyl5

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:19:14 pm »
it would be also great to have climbing . swimming . and any epic idea added to the missions to make it actually something other than multiplayer . like call of duty .... ;D

Offline armadyl5

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »
and maybe AI would be more realstic . in multiplayer you get killed fast when shot by a ak47 or steyr . also like in cod in campaign players get more advantage on AI . MUCH bigger advantage . and the campaign should have a great ending and alot of slowmotion moments .

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:45 pm »
The problem with making a traditional single player mode is that it would require an unproportional amount of effort to create compared to the time players would spend on it. The game has for 11 years been designed to do one thing, and that's to play matches with others. Similar to Counter-Strike though, the content is relatively easily expandable by the community in the form of custom maps and server scripting.

Though I do think it would be neat to include a short "campaign" which ramps in difficulty that basically serves to show the players how the different game modes work. Off the top of my head Worms 2 - one of my all-time favorite games - did this pretty well. Though the bot AI would need a huge improvement because currently they're quite tarded.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »
for this to work we need a group of people working on the project for:

Brainstorming, mapping, waypointing.

We would also need the help of the devs to introduce a way to script the bots.
Like being able to fine tune how they should react upon seeing the player. If possible setting patterns like in platform games instead of relying on the IA. The bots should have weakened weapon and armor compared to the player.

Offline armadyl5

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 03:07:10 pm »
i dont mean to change the whole AI system . just lower their damage so players can kill alot of them easily . and i think enemies with explotions or explosive guns should not involve alot . only in a few edited sences maybe ? also climbing animation can just be the proning animation edited . and the swimming too . but swimming may take alot of invironment changed so its up to the makers if they well envolve it or not .

Offline armadyl5

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:16 pm »
exactly i agree with you bistoufly . it takes alot of work but if its done the game will be more fun as we get bored playing multiplayer sometimes

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
Btw armadyl5 you can edit your posts if you decide to add more content.

I thought about this years ago as well actually. But skoskav is right about the limited value you get out of it (time wise). It would probably be ok for us if the community could create campaigns.

Soldat could have client side scripting with event triggers and bot scripting for this to allow the community to add new campaigns/missions (maybe also with online coop support). Alternatively make the serversctipting more powerful to allow server owners to create campaigns on their servers.

I wouldn't add any new movements like swimming or climbing and instead make the basic things we already got work with it.

Maybe Falcon has something similar in mind with the scriptcore.

It sounds nice but I don't think we have time for it in the near future (unless Falcon implements it ;)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 01:57:06 pm »
I agree with was said. Campaigns should be done by the community via scripting, and more options of bot scripting will be required.
If a campaign turn out to be really good, it could come together with Soldat Server :)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:00:33 pm »
You can definitely try logging on irc, #soldat.eat-this! @ Quakenet.
they play tactical trench war there! :)

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:53 pm »
In the past people have tried this. Specicially designed CTF/INF maps seemed to work fairly well— I believe there was even a prefix for campaign maps, I can't remember what it was. Now that scripting is possible, previously unused spawnpoints (ie. Charlie and delta spawns) could be made to do special map-specific things (for example, spawn a particular bot at Delta when Charlie is hit by a player).

I used to love playing Soldat by myself or with a friend. The two of us would try inf_rise against twenty Boogie_Man and three Terminator. Good times.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 01:24:27 pm »
No one seems to recall mission mode? One of the modes on multimode server.

Im chill like that

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 01:48:35 pm »
No one seems to recall mission mode? One of the modes on multimode server.

I do. But it's exactly what we don't want.

The idea is to have something:

1) Playable offline
2) That doesn't require getting lucky with the unpredictable AI of the bots.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:20:19 pm »
It can be played offline, you can host local server after all. You could use it as a basis for real campaign mode, just throwing this idea out there, no need to shoot me down.

Im chill like that

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:25:21 pm »
Soldat Campaign: For registered players only! except for the 1st and 2nd rank(no medals!).
(Gaining experience or completing achievements, medals, ranks).

Players would play in single player in order to complete missions on certain difficulty level, # of bots, type of game, amount of time, etc. (I can think of those missions and everything, provide more details if you will like/accept idea). 
Suggested ranks: (US Marine Corp Ranks listed from lowest to highest, not all of them tho) Private, Corporal, Sergeant, Master Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.
or the wrong/made ones but sounds better: Private, Corporal,Captain, Sergeant, Major, General or something else 
Medals: For being superior during missions or for special/hard achievements or something.
Suggested:
1. Medal for/of Honor
2. Medal for/of Courage
3. Medal of Reliable Sniper
4. Medal of Heroism
5. Medal of Veteran (for doing everything on the highest possible lvl)

Medals and ranks would appear in F1 tab or other extra window. I suggest ranks to appear next to nickname if that would be wish of the player.

I can think of single separate missions (more simple from the story-missions ) or whole Soldat story, meaning a plot of missions.
I would have to know what players would like more! So tell me if you want my suggested Campaign. I also suggest to make this intro movie first,
so we can connect this campaign to this movie u know what I mean? if you are planning on making any.

Here is a link to other suggestions I wrote:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43276.0;all

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 08:54:22 am »
Hello drax993,

Adding registered players features is not the direction that Soldat is headed to. The plan is rather to remove registration from Soldat eventually.

For the names of the ranks and medals, you should make sure it suits the lore of Soldat. Which is based on vintage action movies. You can find references to movies such as Predator and Rambo pretty much everywhere in the game.

Off Topic: You mention a new intro movie for Soldat. Here again it's not the direction Soldat is headed to. The goal of the developers is to make Soldat lightweight. Adding a video intro would make the installer heavier.

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »
Soldat actually has a story already and it goes like this:
A couple of guys decided to kill each other and you can be one of them.

Well, whoever may take control of the single player campaign project in the future (I hope from the bottom of my heart that it's not drax993 by the way) please keep in mind, Soldat is a game not a movie. You should put the effort to what's right for a game and that is the gameplay design, not the story plot.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 03:29:07 am »
Adding SP mode is more like adding skateboard to a tank...
so some lonely kids that think MP is to hard can play it anyway.

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 11:52:46 pm »
Off Topic: You mention a new intro movie for Soldat. Here again it's not the direction Soldat is headed to. The goal of the developers is to make Soldat lightweight. Adding a video intro would make the installer heavier.

but you can just post it on youtube or/and on soldat homepage :D:P