Poll

What changes should be done to socom?

Decrease bullets per magazine
Increase reload time
Decrease bullet speed/damage
2 or more of the above
None - socom's fine...

Author Topic: overpowered socom?  (Read 15239 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
overpowered socom?
« on: June 12, 2006, 10:35:45 pm »
I have noticed that the socom is about just as good as most other guns.  It shouldn't be so strong since it is afterall only a secondary and should be used as backup...  Too often have I seen people use barret to get a kill through mostly luck and if they miss they instantly divert to the socom and just start attacking.  It frankly is too powerful and has quite decent range and fast reload time...  Something needs to be changed!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
Re: overpowered socom?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 11:31:31 pm »
I think it's fine as it is.

Having said that, I've also been using the socom for 3 years so may be biased.

I think the socom has already had damage decreased recently, I'm not sure, but I still think it's fine as it is now.

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:01:09 am »
I think I do agree with you zyx.

Sometimes people don't even bother starting off using a primary. They'll just spawn and switch to socom right away because: it has decent range, good power, and mostly it just reloads too freakin fast.

I think the best idea would be to decrease the clip and increase the reload time.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:48:31 am »
Given that all three of the other secondary weapons are one-hit kill weapons, I'm hard pressed to say it's overpowered or needs any changes. It's a good weapon, sure, but every weapon is a good weapon. Stacked against other guns, the Socom is weaker, has less range, and/or no secondary advantage (autos' bink, barret's view range, spas' knockback, etc.).

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 12:53:38 am »
Given that all three of the other secondary weapons are one-hit kill weapons, I'm hard pressed to say it's overpowered or needs any changes. It's a good weapon, sure, but every weapon is a good weapon. Stacked against other guns, the Socom is weaker, has less range, and/or no secondary advantage (autos' bink, barret's view range, spas' knockback, etc.).

What he said ^

The socom isn't powerful enough to match with the primary weapons and it's range/re-load compensates for the fact that all other secondaries kill so quickly.

\m/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:55:13 am by GNU »

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 12:53:53 am »
That would be the most hilarious thing to see people coming to the forums after the next version going "OMFG!! Nerfed SOCOM!!?!?!?

and this would screw the barrett/socom combo campers use.

Offline Blues

• Camper
  • Hum?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 12:57:04 am »
I think it is fine as it is.
18:15

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 01:07:19 am »
It's just dandy the way it is...  NO CHANGE!

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline Replica

• Major
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 01:10:46 am »
Ok, so a lot of barret users use it also.  Which makes sense for obvious reasons. 

As has been said, it doesn't match the power of any of the other weapons in the game, nor does it have a significant range; and come on - has anyone ever seen a "noob" be good with it?  Most new players go for the instant gratification weapons anyway, once they know how to change weapons. 

Accuracy has to be extremely high to use it effectively. 

Offline Unlucky XIII

• Soldier
  • Unit Zero One Three
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:16:02 am »
EDIT: Wall of text, skip if not in for a read

I'm on the fence in this argument... there's the fact it is the most powerful secondary now, since the LAW and Knife "nerf", then there is comparing the SOCOM to other weapons, like the MP5.

On the "secondaries" side, you can compare it to all of the other secondaries. The LAW, at one stage, was considered overpowered, having its fast bullet speed and its overall accuracy and power, until the start-up time was introduced. The usage has dropped dramatically since then. The Chainsaw was also considered overpowered, having no reload time and more power made it the master spawn-killer, but once it was weakened and given a reload time, it was really only used for fun or by the best with the chainsaw. The knife was a weapon of skill, and, personally - although I shouldn't complain, as I never used the weapon - I do not see why it gained a start-up time. That leaves the SOCOM. The SOCOM was the only not one hit kill weapon at one stage as Mr. Domino said, but now, it is the only secondary that hasn't had a serious "nerf", like start-up time or extreme weakening.

On the other side, there is the "primaries". The USSOCOM is weaker than that of most of the primaries, for example, the MP5. Although it does less damage with one shot, it is an automatic, and shoots 2 bullets for every 1 the SOCOM does (10:5 bullets a second MP5:SOCOM). Its rate of fire also allows it to bink weapons twice as fast as the SOCOM can.  Although it has self bink, a smart player will counter that with the use of burst-fire. It has a larger clip, and although it has a slower reload time than that of the SOCOM, it still is fairly powerful, and could probably kill a SOCOM user if they are of the same skill. (Lag doesn't come into it)

All in all, I don't really know, but if it has anything, only a slight weakening would really suit it, personally. Then again, I am biased, I do use the SOCOM almost as a primary. ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:54:50 am by Unlucky XIII »

"The old ones are the best"

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 03:20:22 am »
The socom is fine the way it is. As pointed out already, it's less powerful than any of the primaries. I have never encountered a situation where I was being shot with a socom and I thought, "Wow, this gun needs a nerf." The relatively weak bullets and shorter range make it at a disadvantage to a primary weapon in almost all situations.

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 03:37:08 am »

He basicly said my exact thoughts :D
----Get µTorrent here! - Torrent Tutorial----  
The sum of all fears: 01945

Offline Lightning

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 05:36:19 am »
leave it like this.
its strong, no need to be stronger, no need to decrease power.
you need to reload fast, and the bullets dont come very far.

its nice as it is :)

5th_account

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 06:29:11 am »
Since about 4 out of 10 people use a sock as their secondary it's simply too good. This little pea shooter isn't suppose to take down enemy after enemy. As I see it, it's primary function should be to pick off low healthers.

It be getting lower damage and slower fire rate, yarr!

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 07:12:55 am »
eh I think socom is fine compared to the other secondaries...
cool

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 09:01:21 am »
Since about 4 out of 10 people use a sock as their secondary it's simply too good. This little pea shooter isn't suppose to take down enemy after enemy. As I see it, it's primary function should be to pick off low healthers.

It be getting lower damage and slower fire rate, yarr!

I use the socom because i was raised with one >_< not because it is so damn powerfull !

I did some testing picking off a STANDING target at about 0.5 screen with a socom, at that distance one could more or less pick off 2:1 ppl using socom compared to LAW. and that was a non moving target, I cant say socom is overpowerd compared to the law when it has more then twice the range and speed and is a one hit wonder..

Couldnt figure how to test with other weapons, but at "effecient soccom range" a knife is just as leathal.

so:
eh I think socom is fine compared to the other secondaries...

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 10:28:22 am »
When somebody fires a barret at you and misses your first instinct would be to charge and attack.  Especially if he's in the air you know he won't be able to do anything with a LAW since he'll need to settle with it and you can easily fire grenades at him.  With the knife and chainsaw you'll just need to keep some distance.  But when he suddenly pulls out a socom, your machine gun is approximately just as good as his socom.
Among the smarter users, the socom is one of the top-ranked weapons in r/s ctf games as it has good accuracy and takes only 3 or 4 hits from up close to hit.
Unfortunately i forgot to add 'decrease accuracy' as it is another big factor for the socom...

Anyway,
results are not too far off what I'd thought but I'd really hope more people would agree with me in that it's too good of a weapon to be considered a secondary.  I think the only good way to test it is to have random people fight a deathmatch with only HK, socom, and desert eagles.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 10:36:41 am »
First of all, if he misses with barrett he deserves to die. Second of all, if you use any other gun then Spas (maybe mp5) you should have no problem hitting him from the far with youre gun and still beeing rather safe (soccom range isnt all that) Last but not least, anyone who know what they are talking about will agree that Ralistic needs a balance of its owned, and yes in real soccom is OVERPOWERD.

For youre experiment, I'd have to say that if the persons playing are skilled with theire weapons Deagles will win, Mp5 will come second and socom last.
If its a bunch of newbs, Mp5 will win, and soccom / Deagles second.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 10:40:11 am »
Well i think its perfectly fine...
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 11:41:43 am »
Soccom(i hope i spelled it right)is fine as it is.Useing a berratt and switching to secondary is just strategy and theres nothing wrong with that.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.