Author Topic: Echo Kills  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Rocketeer

• Major(1)
Echo Kills
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:24:05 am »
Hi all....

im running a server at home for the 1st time (although i´ve been admin for the three TERRA servers for quite a while)...

Well... i´m making a simple qbasic(lol?) program to make a ranking page from the kills echoed to arsse, and that´s working fine... only problem is my server wont echo kills on DM...

Did i configure something wrong? The only thing i changed was EchoKills=1 on server.ini

Thanks in advance,
Rocketeer.
Damn U!!!! U Bastard!!!!!

TERRA Servers Admin

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Echo Kills
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:30:58 am »
this most likely is just a bug in the new server version, I'll make sure enesce sees this thread

Offline KeFear

• Soldier
  • ARSSE Creator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:24:02 am »
Hmm, i tried it and i can confirm: kills won't get echoed to the console in DM.

by the way nice idea for ARSSE, i may implement making ranking pages from kills and such.

Offline Rocketeer

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:29:09 pm »
Im at work right now, so i cant test all gamemodes... but im pretty sure that tm (at least when on survival mode) does not echo too...

Anyway, as soon as i get home (right after Brasil pwns Croatia) ill look into it...

TERRA Servers Admin

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:52:11 pm »
Ah yes your right, silly me placed that line of code in the wrong spot... Fixed now, expect patch in the next day or more.

Offline KeFear

• Soldier
  • ARSSE Creator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:58:44 am »
Don't rush releasing it, there may be more bugs (for example REFRESHX can have false ping info)

Offline Rocketeer

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 06:48:01 pm »
KeFear, u mean now i can trust the pings i see on ARSSE? im using the latest ARSSE and soldatserver 2.5.0 (on TERRA... at home i use 2.5.1)

And... are u really gonna do the stats thingy on ARSSE? Cause that would save me some work (im really nooby at proggraming) :)

Thx,
Rock.

TERRA Servers Admin

Offline KeFear

• Soldier
  • ARSSE Creator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 02:58:45 am »
You can trust the pings - if you use 2.5.1
In 2.5.0, all ping values are 0 in the REFRESHX packet

use the beta version of ARSSE, it is better now then the "stable" version.

And yes, i'm planning to do the stat thingy with more extended features. Dunno when tho... in the near future

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 06:47:33 am »
as more and more information starts being available to the admin console, the possibilities of doing very cool things emerge.

One was mentioned in another thread that they (leo) wanted a !forgive to undo the TK punishment (the victim could forgive the person).  I started thinking that it'd be convenient if the admin connections could alter the scores, because then features like this (and others, perhaps for customized game modes) could be scripted by people in ARSSE/SARJ/whatever.  Even adding one little thing like that to the admin console makes a ton of new possibilities for automated coolness

Offline chrono

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 06:57:43 am »
guys. i dont understand what "Echo" is... enesce, can u explain it in DETAILS?? and not in computer talk :(
I decided to remove my signature, since jrgp was picking on me by sending me annoying PM's. - Chrono, Wednesday July 27, 2007

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 07:05:19 am »
Echo just means to output text to the screen.

echo "Hello World"
would output 'Hello World' on your screen...

Offline chrono

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 07:12:02 am »
Wait... so whats the point of it?
I decided to remove my signature, since jrgp was picking on me by sending me annoying PM's. - Chrono, Wednesday July 27, 2007

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 07:16:46 am »
Dont ask stupid questions... read the post above your 2nd last post...

Offline chrono

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 07:21:45 am »
I dont understand.... Not my fault! Im asking, does it just show words on the screen like regular writing? Pleaseeee explain. Someone :(

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 07:26:07 am »
dedicated servers have admin clients that connect to change settings, kick/ban people, and inform people what is going on.

Some of the newer admin clients have features, or can have features, to do things like keep track of your stats.  This way, you could do something like say "!stats" in game, and it would give you your stats.

What this "Echo Kills" thing is all about is having the server constantly send all of the information about kills made in the server to the admin controls, thus allowing the admin controls to keep track of peoples stats (number of kills/deaths/etc)

enesce, just another thought: perhaps setting EchoKills=2 can give more detailed stats: number of hits/misses (or accuracy percentage, though number of hits/misses would allow for more stats and accuracy % can be calculated from that), kill distance, and everything else the server keeps track of.  This would offer a huge benefit over generating stats from kill logs
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:27:58 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline chrono

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 07:28:07 am »
THANKYOU Flab for an explanation that I understand :) ARSSE does that too right??

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:56 am »
it is a feature that he will be working on adding to ARSSE.  Please read all of the posts in this thread (as you should always to) to get all of the information.

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 07:32:35 am »
Mmmm could do that flab, though id imagine it would severely decrease the performance of the server... And kill distance isnt tracked by the server, nor is hits/missed but I could easily add a extra variable for hits/misses.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 07:37:09 am »
yeah, performance issues crossed my mind, but if you have two levels of reporting, at least it is there for the people who know they can handle it and have a use for it.  With it disabled, it add to an increase in game overhead at all

Offline Rocketeer

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 10:26:23 pm »
EchoKills=2 would be great...

Regarding EchoKills=1, i think u dont need to make complex stats out of ARSSE... just a table like:

Nick - Weapon1 Kills - Weapon1 Deaths - Weapon2 Kills - etc. - Total time played

Example:
Rocketeer 5 10 23 10 8 17 0 14 0 22 39 3 etc.. 1:34:12

...and the server admins that wanted more complex data out of it could manipulate the table on excel or sth and export it to html...

TERRA Servers Admin