Author Topic: Forums ipv6 test  (Read 4956 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Forums ipv6 test
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:53:58 pm »
Recently I've added ipv6 connectivity to my house so that I can experiment with it and help add demand for ipv6 content and connectivity on the Internet.

After having this set up and working, I've decided to use the moderate amount of traffic that Soldat gets to measure and test other aspects of the ipv6 Internet.

I have added a small and invisible image to the bottom of index.php on the forums, as well as on index.html, main.php, and pl/main.php on the Soldat homepage.  This image is accessibly only by ipv6 and will allow me to try and see how many people coming to the forums have ipv6 connectivity. 

This is a start to me testing out what is required to serve content over ipv6.  The Soldat server now has an ipv6 tunnel so that I can do these kinds of things.  In the near future I may add a AAAA record for forums.soldat.pl and see who has problems, if anyone.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about this or IPv6, and if I can't answer them, I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
Re: Forums ipv6 test
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:27:15 pm »
What is ipv6? [retard]
Banned

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:36:04 pm »

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:13:42 pm »
Do i have ipv6?  I can't tell if i can see the invisible image or not.
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:07:33 pm »
If you don't know, you probably don't have it.

edit: and by probably I mean "almost definitely"

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:20:27 pm »
Dialup won't take any such use of this technology, obviously. Reaching out to a wider audience there flies?
Just another soul to burn.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 04:21:33 pm »
Dialup won't take any such use of this technology, obviously. Reaching out to a wider audience there flies?

... what?

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:38:34 pm »
hehe, took me a few goes to snap it... but maybe I was wrong. Meh.... (check the attachment)

As far as I am aware... that was an easily understandable post, but let me repeat myself just to get it right...

"Are you reaching out to a wider audience, or is this purely for the fact that technology is advancing more?"

Maybe thats a little easier to understand.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:30:56 pm »
I'm doing it to collect information on how many users to forums.soldat.pl ad soldat.pl have ipv6.  I may end up making the entire sites ipv6-enabled in the near future.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »
Wikipedia was way less helpful then normal.

Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a network layer for packet-switched internetworks. It is designated as the successor of IPv4, the current version of the Internet Protocol, for general use on the Internet.

???
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:47:02 pm »
IPv4 address: 123.123.123.123
same address as IPv6 using an IPv4 mapping: ::ffff:123.123.123.123 or ::ffff:7b7b:7b7b
example IPv6 address: 2001:0db8:85a3:08d3:1319:8a2e:0370:7344

IPv6 essentially allows a far greater number of addresses, to deal with the problems of IPv4 address exhaustion.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 09:55:22 am »
IPv4 address: 123.123.123.123
same address as IPv6 using an IPv4 mapping: ::ffff:123.123.123.123 or ::ffff:7b7b:7b7b
example IPv6 address: 2001:0db8:85a3:08d3:1319:8a2e:0370:7344

IPv6 essentially allows a far greater number of addresses, to deal with the problems of IPv4 address exhaustion.
Thx, that helped much more than Wikipedia.
Text goes here...

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 10:37:46 am »
I never got ipv6 to work when setting up my network for my ISP. So I use ipv4. Not that I know a shit about what it does and if it's noticeable.

OBEY!!!

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 12:54:11 pm »
IPv6 addresses are surely harder to remember :(

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 05:44:05 pm »
I never got ipv6 to work when setting up my network for my ISP. So I use ipv4. Not that I know a bollocks about what it does and if it's noticeable.

You can't set it up if your ISP doesn't provide IPv6 connectivity.  In that case, you would have to get an IPv6 tunnel from a tunnel broker.

IPv6 addresses are surely harder to remember :(

Due to the nature of every machine (even behind IPv4 NATs) having its own IP address, every machine can more easily have a proper DNS hostname associated with it, so the need to remember IP addresses will go down a LOT

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 07:46:39 pm »
Due to the nature of every machine (even behind IPv4 NATs) having its own IP address, every machine can more easily have a proper DNS hostname associated with it, so the need to remember IP addresses will go down a LOT

Only as long as ISPs don't try to continue doing what they've been doing with IPv4 and only handing out single addresses, which would drive the production of IPv6 NAT, which would really be a step backwords, as I recall having a conversation about a loooong time ago on IRC with you and some other people. In particular the one misguided individal who believed that IPv6 was synonymous was static addresses for every device, which is not the case.

PS: anyone who says that a NAT is a useful secruity mechanism doesn't know how to properly setup a firewall.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »
In particular the one misguided individal who believed that IPv6 was synonymous was static addresses for every device

That would be awesome.

machine can more easily have a proper DNS hostname associated with it

That would be awersomer!

ping bob@2485-happy-st.ny.us
bob, you there?

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:52 pm »
In particular the one misguided individal who believed that IPv6 was synonymous was static addresses for every device

That would be awesome.

You misunderstand what was meant by said person; he thought that every device WOULD have a static IP address at ALL TIMES that didn't change; ie: every device would be uniquely identifieable. This includes laptops, mobile phones, PDAs, etc. Which would NOT be awesome, not only from a privacy standpoint, but also from a routing standpoint. How would you route traffic to a laptop in for example, the US, then take the same laptop to, for example, China, if it has the same IP address at all times? You would have to update EVERY router on the network with information on how to reach that laptop, since you would no longer be able to use the mechanisms in place for current routing, which relies on CIDR.

Which is rediculous and not possible to implement, it's much too expensive computationally to have to update every router on the internet millions of times a day to tell routers how to route to a device that moves.

It is possible, of course, to have static addresses assigned to devices though; so long as they don't move of course. Much like you can currently; most ISPs already offer this for an extra fee.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 01:15:09 am »
Chris, while ISPs handing out IPv6 addresses like they do with IPv4 now would be stupid, NOBODY would ever do that.  That causes more problems for ISPs than it solves and it makes absolutely no sense, considering that the IPv6 address space is large enough for each person on the planet to have millions of addresses each right now.

That said, what do you think about me adding AAAA for forums.soldat.pl?

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 01:27:16 am »

That would be awesome.

You misunderstand what was meant by said person;...

Humm... that would be rather stupid.
Isn't the MAC address static? But you can't search the internet via MAC addr can you...